Megadeth on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Soundslave, Feb 24, 2018.

1. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I have the original Peace Sells, dynamics are there but think sounding and no bass from what I remember.

joshm2286 likes this.
  2. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well... :)
    Again, it's not that significant, but to me that's the best variant for TSHF available now.

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

looks like David is not a fan of the format, at all

MEGADETH bassist David Ellefson, who launched EMP Label Group in 2015, says that he doesn't find it more difficult to promote his artists in the digital era of the music industry. "It all works digitally," he told the "Heavy Demons" radio show (see video below). "It's funny that all fans buy or listen to things digitally. I still buy everything — I buy everything on iTunes — 'cause I still like to have it on my phone. Usually I listen to music when I'm flying, when I'm traveling, and then I'll buy vinyl, just because it looks cool. But I usually don't listen to it, 'cause I hate the way vinyl sounds. It sounds like ****. I never liked it. I was actually glad when digital came [around]. But I find most artists, they have still the merchandise booth, and fans go to buy things. And sometimes even if the CD and the vinyl is just a place to put a signature, it's a great memorabilia piece to take home."

Last year, Ellefson told Metal Wani that "one of the hardest things" for young artists was getting on high-profile tours. "We sign them to the label and then, if they're really gonna sell any units — especially if they're rock/metal bands — they have to be on the road," he said. "They have to be touring. Then comes the next hardest part, which is, 'How do we get a tour?' Well, that's why we formed the Ellefson Touring Agency, called ETA."

He continued: "Always with these things is - you're walking around the industry with your tin cup out, practically begging people to listen to your band and, 'Hey, can we get a record deal?' And I think, in our wheelhouse, we try to be a sort of full-service entity that does all of that. And it's a lot of work. Again, we require the artists to do their share. There's no free lunches here. Nobody's gonna sit back while [we] do all the work. But at the same time, if I can use the [reputation] that I've been blessed with in my career to sort of knock down some doors and help walk some people in the room behind me, I'm happy to do it."

In 2017, Ellefson relaunched Combat Records, the classic independent label that once released music from MEGADETH, AGNOSTIC FRONT and EXODUS.

joshm2286, keefer1970 and bru87tr like this.
  4. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I was just going to post that.

Well, certainly they purposely make it sound like poo. :)

5. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

"Best" is absolutely relative in this case but maybe "atrocious" is a better word for the US Dytopia. I couldn't even sit through a whole side because the random distortions were so irritating to listen to. The EU would at least not clip on the guitar solos.

Soundslave likes this.
  6. Soundslave

Oh wow. That's news to me. I remember David showcased his Mega collection of CDs and LPs some months ago on Facebook and bought a new turntable, so I thought he really likes the format.
    Dave on the other hand always favored vinyl - too bad his enthusiasm wasn't involved in Dystopia LP production.

7. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Sorry I missed your earlier comment. Thanks for the info. Sounds like it's not worth picking up.

Soundslave likes this.
  8. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Here is something I just got, just listened and surprised me how good it sounded. The louder you crank it the better it sounds. The bass and drums are there, but you have to turn the bass up a little to bring it out, but it's there. I didn't think it would sound that good, but it sounds pretty decent and Deth is on! They were great back then, I seen them in the late 90s and they kicked.

The vinyl is flat, clean and quiet. It's from an MTV performance and this was taken from the FM broadcast.

If you have never seen Deth live, get this! This purchase was way better than the Warheads on Foreheads Box.

Night Of The Living Megadeth https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072ZPQ3G2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_z18TCbNYZM1V3

joshm2286 likes this.
  9. Soundslave

I know about this bootleg :) Originally it was released on CD as American Assault but later on a new transfer was made available on the net and I guess it is the source for this vinyl. Glad that the pressing is good, I assume bootleg LPs are usually pretty mediocre.

joshm2286 and bru87tr like this.
  10. ripping corpse

ripping corpse Forum Resident

Well I think I’m going to have to change my opinion about the original US, SFSGSW being better than my RIP copy. I’ve been experimenting with speaker placement and load settings on my phono-pre in the past week and I have never heard RIP sound so good on my set-up.

joshm2286, pexie and Soundslave like this.
  11. Soundslave

Well, July 26th was the release date for remastered reissues of United Abominations and Endgame as well as standard (non-remastered) reissue of Th1rt3en. I saw them all at vinyl stores during my stay in Amsterdam, but since I already have original Endgame LP and not that interested in remastered UA I didn't get them. Only concluded that Th1rt3en was indeed a reissue without Ted Jensen's remastering.
    Anyone got their hands on any of those? :) Since I have the TWNAH remastered LP I think the quality of the vinyl itself is pretty good and Th1rt3en is definitely worth getting if you like the album. What about UA and Endgame?

joshm2286 likes this.
  12. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I played the original Peace Sells Lp a few weeks ago and it has very little bass at least on my sound set up. Dynamics are very good though.

bru87tr likes this.
  13. Soundslave

Listening to my UK '86 PSBWB now - I would say that certain tracks have vocals forwarded and bass kinda behind so it's not that prominent (The Conjuring), but for the most part it's right on (Peace Sells). Of course it's not very bodied and more to the flat side. But I guess that's how the original recording was made.

14. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

RockyMTnLeg Shaver Forum Resident

Anyone ever listened to or owned the Japanese pressing of PSBWB?

15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I just want a copy of original youth vinyl pressing.

Any comment on the sound of that blue vinyl ?

16. Soundslave

Never paid attention to that version. Should it be different? Gonna check any info on that at least on discogs...

As far as I can recall my friend has it but she doesn't have any turntables (that was a gift from her boyfriend). If they will manage to visit my town someday I'll give some feedback :) But in general I think the sound would be pretty similar to original '94 CD, though I expect a bit softer EQ.

17. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

The 45rpm music for nations is the the best sounding version of Killing of the ones I have.
    Most clarity and separation.

Soundslave likes this.
  18. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

If she ever wants to sell let me know. :)

19. Soundslave

Haha) I doubt it because she's a big fan of Youthanasia like myself. I wish to get it sometime, but based on the needledrop on the net, I feel pretty confident to only have my original promo 1994 CD :)
    But I'll take a note for you :cool:

20. Soundslave

So far I've been lucky to get my hands on original United Abominations LP :)
    As with Endgame it's definitely an improvement over the CD version and I don't think the recent remaster top it.
    For now I think I'm settled with my Megadeth collection on LP and could only hope for a proper dynamic reissue of original Youthanasia mix.

808_state likes this.
  21. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Oh man, one can only hope for a legit Youthanasia with full dynamics intact on good quality vinyl. I remember one listing for the original blue vinyl stated "does not look like audiophile vinyl"...so I thought
    then why are you charging >$200 for it? It's garbage but it's really rare super special garbage?

Soundslave likes this.
  22. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

RockyMTnLeg Shaver Forum Resident

I picked up a decent Japanese pressing of PSBWB. It sounds very good to the point where I doubt I will hunt out another copy.

23. daltieri

daltieri The 80`s kick ass

I´ve always been very disappointed with the Peace Sells... Capitol from the vaults vinyl (2008). It doesn´t sound analog. My Combat first pressing CD sounds a whole lot better. Anybody has more information about that particular vinyl edition?

24. Soundslave

That's rad! I forgot to comment on that but I didn't see any info about the Japanese LP. What's your experience with it? Could you describe the sound?

25. Soundslave

Well, it is the original mix and was cut by Dave McEowen. Here's my impression on a reissue of that 2008 reissue:
    To sum up - I think 2008/2017 is somewhat flat and has pretty low volume in comparison to original 1986 UK and 2011 Boxset version, so both of those are better choices.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    daltieri likes this.