Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Not possible.

But maybe later.

2. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

Maybe you’ll be amazed.

3. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

IMO McCartney is the link between the earlier, experimental solo Beatles albums and the later more conventional solo Beatles albums.

joy stinson, supermd, theMess and 4 others like this.
  4. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

Hot As Sun/Glasses - I don’t usually think of this as one of Paul’s medley songs, but it is. A great instrumental from the fifties segues into a Steve Reich-inspired piece played on wine glasses segues into a small snippet from a Sinatra-esque song. Very avant-garde, very cool.

Who Cares, theMess, pantofis and 2 others like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Also - my 1988 cassette tape left out the "/" and lead me to believe the song was actually called "Hot As Sun Glasses", which made no sense, unless you left your Ray-Bans on the dashboard in the car or something.

[​IMG]

Wil1972, yesteryear, supermd and 11 others like this.
  6. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Is it possible to clarify what you are saying here? I read it a few times and I interpret this as you are claiming the 5 songs in discussion has aged "far better" than *most* other artists' works from this era? I mean, we are talking 1970, a pretty fertile era of rock and roll.

Just curious if you could include some examples? You got Bridge Over Troubled Waters, Stage Fright, Moondance, Ladies of the Canyon, After The Gold Rush, Deja Vu, Cosmos Factory...

I like McCartney LP for sure. I am not ready to place it above it's playing weight vs the rest of the great RnR output of 1970. It has a place in the conversation for sure. It's important in a few ways, artistically and historically. It's not at the very top of 1970 output, however.

tkag, BZync and NumberEight like this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

The albums you mentioned are all classics and-in most cases-have aged very well.Think I have them all in my collection It was a fertile music-time indeed. I have never claimed the McCartney albums or the songs discussed here to be better than those you mentioned . But there are also lot s of music from the era that-popular and acclaimed at the time -has not aged well. McCartney was a popular album at the time but in most cases didn’t t get all that praise from the critics.
    In hindsight the songs discussed here and the album itself has aged well and also been highly influential. I have seen artists like Costello and Neil Young praise it.the way of making the album also makes it a rather unique exercise.
    That was my whole point -not placing it over the level of the albums you mentioned. I like them all. Something I can t say about lot s if other music I was enjoying at the time

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    joy stinson likes this.
  8. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Every Night - 4/5
    Real nice song but not a classic in my eyes. It has more effect for being kind of the first proper song

Hot as Sun/Glasses 3/5
    Nice little feel good instrumental and really like the eerie glasses part.

9. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Hot as Sun and Glasses are both 3.5/5

10. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

I never try to judge individual tracks on McCartney as it's more about the overall feel, what Alan Smith in his NME review described as a "warm pleasure" as I recall. Mind you, Alan's wife did work in the Apple PR department (the easiest job in the world in terms of gaining coverage?)

11. Bemagnus

Agree about the overall feel-thats how I normally reach out to McCartney
    However Im surorised how much I enjoy each individual track breaking them down as we do here

Who Cares likes this.
  12. Bemagnus

Next one is Junk
    Another true masterpiece. As we all know written already 1968 and a contender for the White album
    A brilliant compisition were Pauls melodic genius shines in a spectacular fashion. Also very good lyrics. Of course also a very good recording were Pauls arrangement is another winner. His wordless vocal parts is very close to classical music in it s tonality. Don t think anyone but Paul could come up with a song like this and even less so-make such a stellar recording and arrangement doin everything himself
    Genius at work

The MEZ, Who Cares, BZync and 2 others like this.
  13. Bemagnus

A cover version of Junk paired with Tom Waits broken bicycles. Performed by swedish opera singer An-Sofie Otter and Elvis Costello. I think Benny Andersson from ABBA plays accordeon as well

Jean Réveil and theMess like this.
  14. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Junk is an incredible song. So emotional and delicate. Just beautiful. 5/5.

The MEZ, supermd, Who Cares and 6 others like this.
  15. Bemagnus

Delicate is the right word to describe Junk
    :)

16. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Whoa we really are moving.

Hot As Sun/Glasses is cool. 4/5

Junk is gorgeous. 5/5

17. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Feel with Junk that it could have been absolute Beatles classic, going by the Esher demo, but that it had lost something by the time of McCartney. His voice just didn't have the sublime beauty it had in the Beatles era. It's still lovely of course but not quite as wondrous as it might have been.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  18. Bemagnus

I must disagree here. I think the soloversion has even better vocals than the Beatles version. Both brilliant though. Can t really hear much difference in Pauls voice 1968 compared to 1970 really

19. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

' Junk ' is beautiful.
    I don't think it would have been as good as a Beatles track. I like the take on ' Anthology ' with Lennon's laughing at the lyrics ( I guess).

Who Cares, Crimson Witch and Bemagnus like this.
  20. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Junk is excellent. The Muzak instrumental version wasn’t necessary but this song is great. Points towards what he’d be doing on RAM.

21. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

5/5. A key text illustrating Paul's sensibilities. This song has thematic ties to Penny Lane. Paul's own Village Green Preservation Society.

Who Cares, theMess, BZync and 3 others like this.
  22. Bemagnus

Id never thought of the thematic similarities to
    Village green but with the slightly nostalgic feel I can see it though
    :)

theMess and Crimson Witch like this.
  23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I'm listening to the CD now. It has always been my favourite of Paul's, and by the time of my 58th year, I think my favourite Beatle solo album too - at least the one that I return to most frequently. 'Junk' is certainly, imo, one of the most gorgeous pop songs ever written, and I include it among that upper-upper echelon of Paul's lifetime best. 'McCartney' has a scrapbook sort of feel to it - reminding me in a way of 'The Beatles' double album, working best as a sequential-whole with a handful of scattered diamonds in the rough. I hear pure musical genius in every note here - this all could have worked in the context of Beatles, even in lieu of any involvement by the others - just change the album cover and you're there. I know the term "timeless" gets tossed around a lot, but with 'Junk' I feel the reckoning is scant, rather than the other way around.

The MEZ, supermd, Who Cares and 7 others like this.
  24. Bemagnus

Well said
    Junk is timeless and the album that host this gem is a very unique listening experience

Who Cares and Crimson Witch like this.
  25. Daniel Plainview

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.