The appeal of New Country music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Action, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Yeah, Bill's band was like a proving ground for a lot of the top Bluegrass musicians.

crookedbill and starduster like this.
  2. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

K. I tried to figure this all out and i may return to my studying on it.

I'm hoping Ken Burns will be able to clarify some of it.

3. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

The Burns documentary is well done. It largely tells the story of country music through telling the individual stories of its biggest icons. I wish it didn’t stop around 1996, because some of its recurrent themes could’ve been revisited effectively, but I think it would’ve undermined the program’s desire to claim that the circle remains unbroken.

The interviews were clearly done over a long period of time. It was heartwarming and a little painful to hear and see the late Merle Haggard and Mel Tillis telling their tales. I found the final part focusing on 1984-1996 the most moving, but that will vary for different country fans, depending on the era that meant the most to them.

4. Hurakan

Hurakan Forum Resident

Doug Sahm - Oh No! Not Another One..

melstapler and unclefred like this.
  5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I already know what kind of people don't like social justice, with or without the quotation marks.

Rooster_Ties, KJTC and Bluesman Mark like this.
  6. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Right! That's Country, no red solo cups needed. I'm gonna go listen to Junior Brown.

melstapler likes this.
  7. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

The appeal is bottom line. It's the new Ghostbusters theme part 20, over and over. It's all what music became in the 80s. Perfect click track bottom line go for the pink popcorn poppity pop. The new archies but simpler. It's where all the hair band people went. They moved to Nashville with Hootie and cut country albums. The lyrics are laughably laughable. Not even trying. Parodies of a parody. Minnie Pearl is thinkin' man i wouldn't even go there. Not funny at all.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There's a big difference between what Minnie Pearl, Sheb Wooley, Rod Brasfield, etc. did and what passes as humor today as well. Times do change.

McLover and MikeM like this.
  9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

It actually goes deeper and a lot further back than that.

The country bluesmen of the 1930s and 1940s listened to the Grand Ole Opry religiously, and often incorporated the songs they heard there into their own repertoires.

Much is made, rightfully so, of what white artists took from black ones. But the fact that this process also went in the opposite direction isn't talked about nearly as much.

10. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Whilst I've had Zoe Muth's 1st album since 2009, just pulled it out and it's absolutely fantastic, reminiscent of Nanci Griffith in parts.
    This is from her equally great second album Starlight Hotel

melstapler likes this.
  11. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I think the blues came from someone strumming a wrong chord, and it sounded good. And the blues was born. :)

12. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

I would think that there are some good stuff out there, if I went looking for it, but not necessarily on the charts. In the 90s, I listened to The Derailers, BR5-49 and Dale Watson. But I was more active with checking out country music and found artists on the sidelines of Billy Ray Cyrus and Garth Brooks.

melstapler likes this.
  13. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The Derailers (original lineup with vocalist Tony Villanueva) were an incredible band both live and on the recordings. I had the pleasure of seeing them perform many times until Tony left the music business around 2004 or so. Their guitarist Brian Hofeldt does continue to tour with a new lineup and records under The Derailers name while now handling lead vocal duties.

'More Of Your Love' by The Derailers

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Pastafarian likes this.
  14. Pastafarian

Fine & dandy at the moment Kelsey Waldon's - White Noise - White Lines released this year

melstapler likes this.
  15. Pastafarian

Released in August Tanya Tucker - While I'm Livin'

melstapler likes this.
  16. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I don't like most of what passes for that term, or at least I think most of it is ridiculous for a number of reasons, but I'd bet I don't fit the kind of person you're thinking of there.

18. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Country music today is more about marketing than music

melstapler and Greenalishi like this.
  19. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

There is lots of different kinds of country going on all at once. The Nashville machine on the radio is very formulaic and to me satirical. I always feel like they are kidding but they are not. But, there is tons of cool stuff going on. Just not on radio.

melstapler and pocofan like this.
  20. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

If you're not a bigot, then no, you do not fit that description.

21. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

A lot of them probably do or did have a natural drawl at some point if they grew up in the south. I grew up in a small rural town and many people do talk this way. The twang probably is dialed up for show/entertainment/tradition like the dress attire.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    President_dudley likes this.
  22. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

23. TheDaveMaybe

TheDaveMaybe Forum Resident

I have to admit that, for nostalgic reasons, I do enjoy listening to Rascal Flatts and Kenny Chesney every once in a while, but acknowledge most of that stuff isn't technically "good", and I have a soft spot for 2000s country (again, for nostalgic reasons). When I was a kid, I listened pretty much exclusively to country music, because of my mom. I now definitely prefer the older stuff (Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, etc.), but there are a few new artists that are genuinely good, like Zac Brown Band and Darius Rucker. But yeah, the newer stuff sounds like crap to my ears, and it's gotten even worse with the snap tracks and hip hop drum loops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.