The Smiths Wea releases oddities

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghost of Ziggy, Sep 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do you think it’s odd how they later inserted “This Charming Man” in the middle of The Smiths LP, and “How Soon Is Now?” Into the middle of Meat Is Murder LP?

tug_of_war likes this.
  2. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Does this pertain to the CDs, or the LPs? I'm just asking because I only believed "How Soon Is Now?" was only exclusive to the U.S. pressing.

3. Ghost of Ziggy

I’m thinking of the 90’s WEA re-releases which added both the mentioned songs, presumably as bonus tracks, on both releases worldwide.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

They were on the original US pressings of the respective albums

5. LloydTheVoid

LloydTheVoid /ˈrez(ə)dənt/ Denizen

I can't speak to the vinyl, but my Sire/Rough Trade US CD of The Smiths S/T has This Charming Man, but isn't Hand in Glove the oddity there? My copy of Meat is Murder has How Soon Is Now?.

They're both WEA reissues from the 80s with the S/T copy being 9 25065-2 and Meat is Murder being 9 25269-2.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This Charming Man doesn't fit in with the first album, but it's such a famous track and there wasn't anywhere else to put it. My Rough Trade CD doesn't include it.

It would have made more sense to leave the album as it's intended UK tracklist and then add This Charming Man and it's other non album B-sides as extras.

Gavinyl and The MEZ like this.
  7. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

The funniest thing is that How Soon Is Now ended up belonging to two albums - which leads us to the question:
    what is "Hatful Of Hollow"?

A compilation of new songs with live performaces?
    A live album with new songs?
    A studio album with live cuts?
    All of the above?
    Some of them?
    None?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    bataclan2002 and LloydTheVoid like this.
  8. LloydTheVoid

LloydTheVoid /ˈrez(ə)dənt/ Denizen

I don't know but it has Handsome Devil from the Peel Sessions and that guitar riff kicks ass!

9. Ghost of Ziggy

That’s interesting, I’d say How Soon Is Now? Surely belongs to Hatful. That said, for a track many may consider The Smiths best song, it performed poorly in the charts.

tug_of_war likes this.
  10. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

It was originally the B side to “Willam It Was Really Nothing” which charted in the UK, so when it was subsequently issued as a single in its own right many people already had it, that’s why it wasn’t a big seller.

Man at C&A, Derek Acorah and pwhytey like this.
  11. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

For a band that had so many stand-alone singles, it's a small mercy that WEA only saw fit to shoehorn tracks into two studio albums

In the UK ,Hatful of Hollow and The World Won't Listen solved the problem of compiling the singles. Of course Louder Than Bombs was then the US doing a routine mangling of the two

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

For some years I thought This Charming man was part of the first LP.
    Because the CD

Man at C&A and LloydTheVoid like this.
  13. Derek Acorah

Derek Acorah Active Member

One of the greatest "compilation" albums ever.

14. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

It’s not on the original Rough Trade cd.

Man at C&A and Derek Acorah like this.
  15. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

the band were not satisfied with the original studio sessions that made up the first LP. Hatful Of Hollow is a compilation of the band preferred radio session versions of the album tracks, some b-sides, and some "new " songs.

phillyal1, Gavinyl, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think they were right with this. The Smith's debut album has always been the album I play least by them. I'd like to see the Troy Tate version of it get released. Hatful of Hollow is my favourite Smiths album. Even though it clearly is, I often forget it's a compilation because it so strong, most of the tracks aren't on another album and it flows so well. The gatefold sleeve is well designed too.

Willowman, Gavinyl and AlienRendel like this.
  17. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Hatful is far superior to the 1st LP.

Gavinyl, georgespigott and Man at C&A like this.
  18. georgespigott

georgespigott You fill me with inertia.

It sure does! Do you know I heard an interview with Johnny Marr and he said Handsome Devil and some of the faster songs on the first album had riffs in them that he wrote in his first band, Paris Valentinos - the band he was in when he was 14 years old!

Gavinyl and hi_watt like this.
  19. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Too many tracks crammed on 1 LP.

Maybe this is the reason "Still Ill" sounds so awful on HOH.

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The UK pressing sounds surprisingly good for an album that long. It can be done. The currently available pressing is cut far quieter and doesn't sound better for it. It's not awful but it's weedy in comparison. Considering it's length I can imagine there's a lot of bad sounding vinyl pressings of Hatful of Hollow. Still I'll from it isn't the best recording or production anyway. Great performance though.

Gavinyl and AlienRendel like this.
  21. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

My OG UK pressing sounds really good.

Gavinyl and Man at C&A like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Some long albums pressed in the UK manage to get a very good sound in spite of the length. Queen's Greatest Hits is a 58 minute long single LP and sounds excellent, without being a particularly quiet cut. Iron Maiden's Powerslave and Live After Death sound fantastic on vinyl at around 25 minutes a side. There's even a sleeve note in Live After Death about it. The big problem isn't sound quality on these LPs, more that the grooves are closer together making light scratches more noticeable for longer. They really need taking care of!

Gavinyl and AlienRendel like this.
  23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

My copy is a Portuguese one

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A UK Rough Trade one will be a vast improvement. It's a quite loud and very clear sounding pressing. I don't know how the managed it! The World Won't Listen UK is also a great sounding long LP. If you like the albums a lot it's worth buying the vinyl from the UK. I don't think the postage is incredibly expensive to Spain. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with the sound of the 90s CDs and they're extremely cheap.

Gavinyl likes this.
  25. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Rough Trade UK pressings are the way to go for all The Smith's UK albums.

Gavinyl, markreed and Man at C&A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.