Japan - Quiet Life Deluxe (Jan 2020?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BigManRestless, Sep 15, 2019.

1. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident Thread Starter

The new issue of Electronic Sound magazine (with David Sylvian on the cover) mentions at the end of an article on the early years of Japan that BMG are issuing a deluxe version of Japan's Quiet Life in January 2020.

As this is one of my all time favourite albums I'm rather excited about this, although Japan's reissues have been underwhelming, to put in mildly, in terms of bonus material.

Anyone have any idea what is being planned for this 'deluxe issue'? Hopefully more than just the addition of b-sides and single edits and all 381 (approx.) mixes of Life In Tokyo. Japan are one of the few bands I'd welcome a peak period live set from, but demos, outtakes, alternative takes would be a dream come true.

2. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

Hopefully by deluxe they don't just mean a 2x45 rpm vinyl reissue as per recent Japan/Sylvian reissues and the pic posted by Richard Barbieri last week, but not holding my breath.

Edit: My bad; the pic shows it's a 33 1/3 half-speed thingy.

3. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

24/96 flat transfer, pretty please :).

SmileyDude and art like this.
  4. art

art Senior Member

Yes.

5. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

I would like 2x45rpm by the same method we got Gentlemen Take Polaroids, please.

I've never heard Quiet Life - I had Assemblage at the time, which I think included half the songs.

6. Demiurge88

Demiurge88 Forum Resident

They're one of my favorite bands, so I'm reluctantly excited for this. And I'm happy it's being released on CD as well; too many vinyl-only reissues these days!

brentolie and longdist01 like this.
  7. sound chaser

Currently enjoying the below variant via my Hansa Germany 251 261 cd, sounds great.

(Quote)
    The band originally intended for the track listing to be 1) All Tomorrow's Parties, 2) Fall in Love with Me, 3) Alien, 4) Quiet Life, 5) The Other Side of Life, 6) Despair, 7) In Vogue, 8) Halloween, 9) A Foreign Place, and the notes in the CD cover booklet of the 2006 remastered edition suggest that the listener should try listening to the album in that order.

(Unquote).

Bassist likes this.
  8. Echo's Answer

Echo's Answer Forum Resident

Any news on this?

9. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

10. sound chaser

Even after all this time, I do prefer the new running order as mentioned in my previous post.

Quiet American likes this.
  11. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

It's the end of January and still no news. Is that tumbleweed I see!

12. Echo's Answer

Well.....

It may be delayed, but at least I finally found another clean copy of the UK original to place my noise copy

13. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

Bassist likes this.
  14. Echo's Answer

Damn, the price people want for a used copy. You can buy all nm originals than any of the reissues

15. Dr. Funkenstein

Dr. Funkenstein Forum Resident

The Music on Vinyl version is very nicely presented. but the sound of the main album isn’t anything spectacular. The 2004 CD sounds great, though, so hopefully this will be a significant upgrade. If it’s only a marginal improvement over that disc, and doesn’t include any rarities or similar, then I don’t know if I’ll bother with it.

16. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

Looks like a 1/2 speed remaster is on the way. Can't complain about that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Nope, just the title track

18. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child

I'm checking this thread regularly, as I'm on tenterhooks to see a release date for this. I find myself longing for this release, even though I've been quite content with my dusty old Hansa copy for the previous, well, nearly, 40 years! I think I deserve an upgrade on what has been an incredibly important album in my life. That half-speed master image is mouth-watering...

Munros1969 likes this.
  19. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

So can we assume this release has been shelved for good? Sylvian vetoed it?

20. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Well, if they can press this one without the nasty speed-bump style warps that seemed to plague Gentlemen and Tin Drum, then I'll have no reason to complain!

21. Dr. Funkenstein

Dr. Funkenstein Forum Resident

I can’t see why he would have since he was fine with the other Japan half-speeds, as well as those reissues of his early solo albums. It’ll be royalties for him, after all. I imagine that it was delayed for some reason in the first place, and now the virus has pushed it back indefinitely.

Or I could be totally wrong...

22. Pavol Stromcek

I suspect Quiet Life's delay has to do with Covid rather than Sylvian.

sound chaser, mestreech and tin ears like this.
  23. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

I shall message or tweet the mastering engineer Miles Showell at Abbey Road to hopefully get an update.

24. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Possibly, although this was originally scheduled for January, well before the pandemic had reached global proportions. But I am happy to be proven wrong. :)

25. Pavol Stromcek

Who knows? Delays like this aren't uncommon in the music world. Maybe there was some earlier hiccup with the mastering at Abbey Road, and then the emergence of Covid further prolonged the delay?

It would be a little odd, though, if Sylvian vetoed it, since he apparently had no issues with GTP and TD, but also, there's this quote from Sylvian from "later in his career" from this link that someone else posted upstream:

"I still feel very attached to [Quiet Life] – unusual for me. We reached a peak with this album – we knew what we were doing."

sound chaser and shadow blaster like this.