"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Agree, however, had Freddie Mercury been accurate in titling "Delilah" as "An Utter Pile Of Sh1t", would we have been any happier?

It's a name; if the contents are well produced, generously produced, well mixed and nicely mastered will it matter?

2. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Pete had songs that he thought Roger would be interested in. After some persuasion and time, he was and the results were deemed good enough to release to the public.

BourbonAndVinyl, No Bull and ARK like this.
  3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

“Still waiting for the big cigars!” This is a good song. Very nice.

4. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

And the first one was "Evolution"? :)

(that's a joke I know Ronnie Lane wrote that one!)

5. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Wow the cover and title isn't sitting well with a lot of people here... doesn't bother me at all. Im kinda digging the cover...anyone else catch the "Who Sell Out" nod with the beans photo up top?

Dave Hoos, Phil147, Turbo2k and 5 others like this.
  6. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Pete wanted to put out an album for his own artistic ambitions. He didn’t wanted to go out on the road again without new material. so this was Pete’s condition for doing another tour.

No Bull, Purple, dee and 2 others like this.
  7. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Rockin' in Rage? What is this, Foghat?

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Wow! A fair bit of negativity. There's nothing wrong with the straight to the point title. There hasn't been an album called 'Who'. I don't see many complaints about other uninteresting album titles like 'The Beatles' or 'Peter Gabriel', 'Peter Gabriel', 'Peter Gabriel' and 'Peter Gabriel'.

The sleeve is typical Peter Blake and too close to Paul Weller's Stanley Road, but it looks good and I like that style.

The one track I've heard already sounds better than anything on Endless Wire, so hopefully this is going to be a good one. I don't see why not.

9. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Maybe then you should compare it to The Who's previous album cover "Endless Wire"... feel better? And we all know it's the music that counts.

izgoblin, Man at C&A and The MEZ like this.
  10. Ball and Chain hooked me. Endless Wire did not. I’m psyched to hear the rest.

11. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Johnny Moondog in the other thread suggested that title months ago. He must have some connection though because he was also the one that revealed, months ago, that they weee considering (at the time) calling the album WHO.

Fullbug and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  12. Eframt

Eframt Forum Resident

Re: the album's title ... I was hoping for another Gordon Lightfoot title like they did with "Endless Wire." Maybe something like "Gord's Gold."

That said, I'm waiting for this album with baited breath!

rxcory, klownschool, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  13. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Again, “Hero Ground Zero” apparently isn’t about 9/11. Obviously “Ball and Chain” is about Guantanamo though.

I’m not sure why they recorded the album. According to them, Pete had writer’s block/depression for a few years and then suddenly last year he suddenly wrote a slew of songs and presented them to Roger.

I’m not sure what the deal is with “Ball and Chain”—maybe it was originally intended to be a Who song like “How Can I Help You, Sir” apparently was. Or maybe Roger just heard it and really liked it and insisted that they record it.

14. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

My issue isn’t with self-titled albums, I wish that they’d properly self-titled and called this album The Who. I don’t like the dropping of the “the”. The White Album isn’t called Beatles or BEATLES.

As far as the album cover goes, it doesn’t bother me.

15. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

“Glow Girl” is about reincarnation though.

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Yeah, I don't get that. I suppose it's minimalist!

jethrowup and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  17. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Why does there have to be rules about what a band decides to title an album? I think it's kind of brilliant, actually.

ramdom, Dave Hoos, EVOLVIST and 7 others like this.
  18. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

Really? If that is what Pete was trying to communicate, I missed it totally. Although it probably didn't help that I heard Tommy long before hearing Glow Girl (when it came out on Odds and Sods). So the main thing I was getting was "oh, that bit in Tommy was from something before!"

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That really was a tacky looking eyesore. I only bought a very cheap CD instead of the vinyl because it looked so bad.

Dog Ear likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I much prefer Detour as a title. A subtle way of going full circle if this is the last Who studio album.

izgoblin, Fullbug, GoodKitty and 2 others like this.
  21. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Hm, not much of a song really, but it’s partly saved by a very good performance: good intense singing and nice guitar work.

22. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Overall liked Ball & Chain. Musically it’s very good, really driving. Lyrically...well I hadn’t picked up the 2015 version so first time hearing them...kind of like Neil’s Rainbow of Colors, only a bit more oblique. But just from the sound of the band I think this’ll be worth a listen

23. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Wouldn’t “Detour” suggest that the music contained would not sound like The Who?

I don’t really care about the title anyway. I’m just glad that we are getting a new lp and I like the new track. However, I liked Be Lucky as well so I guess I’m easy to please.

Davido and GoodKitty like this.
  24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Based on their own descriptions of their professional and personal relationships, the most appropriate title for the album was already taken.

[​IMG]

25. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Hey, at least they're not doing a cheesy remake featuring digitally-manipulated drums & bass from Keith Moon and John Entwistle.

(Hopefully that didn't give them any ideas!)