Ken Burns’ Country Music on PBS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fenderesq, Sep 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7 Thread Starter

Watch it; just watch it! The initial episode premiered tonight. The beginnings; the origin. If you didn’t see it I’m sure it will be rebroadcast. Check your local listings as they say. Or I guess your streaming platforms as they say.

If you’ve got enough interest... and love of music for ANY reason to be a part of this forum; either active of passive; if Country / Hill-Billy / Old Time, whatever you want to call it is “your thing” or not you should watch this series. If your leanings go no wider then White Snake, Sinatra, Lightenin’ Hopkins, Monk or Pavarotti or The Beatles... you should watch Ken Burns and his team at work, narrated by Peter Coyote on this; our music... it’s all all of our music.

I’ve no affiliation with PBS, Ken Burns or anybody really; I’m just one of those forum members putting the word out there; here.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  2. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

The soundtrack looks terrific!

3. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

DVR-ing the entire series. Very much looking forward to it.

I'll probably watch Episode 1 late tonight.

4. jimbo3688

jimbo3688 Forum Resident

I really enjoyed the first episode - teared up a bit about the death of Jimmie Rodgers.

5. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Me, too. I never realized how familiar I am with a lot of Jimmie Rogers' songs until tonight. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

6. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Watched the first episode this evening and ordered a 5-cd Jimmie Rogers boxed set. I’m looking at a Carter Family one, too. No telling how much the next two weeks will cost me.

7. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

I’ll admit I’m not a country music fan, but the history is riveting. Ken Burns’ documentaries never fail to hold my interest. The first episode was awesome!

:cheers:
    Cat

8. Bob Borgen

Bob Borgen Forum Resident

Kate McGarrigle once told me "Always go back to the source" -- this show does a great job of that. And it was thrilling to hear John Prine in the background on one song.

9. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Awww, man -- how about a spoiler alert?

:shtiphat:

10. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Was wondering if someone had started a thread dedicated to this series. Thanks. PBS is streaming the first two episodes online without the usual obligatory member sign in. So catch it while it's still easy to view. Can't say I'm crazy about Coyote but the music's the thing!

JoeRockhead and fenderesq like this.
  11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

There's been one going in Visual Arts for some months.

Ken Burns - Country Music Documentary

Because of the habits of Forum Users, I would think both should continue, but I'm not a Gort...

12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I agree. I'll want it and the DVD set.

13. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

How do I see this in the UK?

I can't, can I?

Jarleboy and ispace like this.
  14. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Jarleboy and mark winstanley like this.
  15. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Can’t view the episode in Australia :(

qwerty likes this.
  16. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Oh excellent! A musical area I'd love to know more about and you can't beat Ken Burns for a good thorough intro. I watched his Jazz one back in the day...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Evethingandnothing likes this.
  17. Evethingandnothing

Yeah, it has it's critics but I thought it was excellent. All apart from the episode where they spent 10 minutes describing how a Louis Armstrong track was the best thing ever recorded (can't remember which one) and the track got played over the end credits of the episode, only to be completely obscured by a voice over announcement by the TV station. Heathens!

Rickchick, Sneaky Pete, Marvi and 4 others like this.
  18. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

DaveJ likes this.
  19. Evethingandnothing

I didn't know that. It seemed to go on forever.

Sordel likes this.
  20. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

It looks like the BBC version of Country Music will run 9 hours whereas the PBS version is 16 hours so just a bit of editing there by the good old Beeb

MIPIE and Evethingandnothing like this.
  21. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The 5 CD set of Jimmie Rodgers omits one track, My Time Ain't Long. Order the Proper box With My Little Ukulele In My Hand to get this track and the Jimmie Rodgers tracks included make a great concept compilation as they all feature the uke. This is the place to start to introduce yourself to George Formby and Ukulele Ike as well.

22. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

23. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

duneman, John DeAngelis and CWillman like this.
  24. Thunderman

Thunderman Forum Resident

First episode was very, very good.

Only complaint: we need more than ten second snippets of the music. It is a documentary about country music, the focus should be on the music. How can a viewer really get a sense of what The Carter Family were doing musically when we only get ten second snippets of their music.

25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

good lord, it's already 16 hours! I think the idea is to get you to check that stuff out on your own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.