Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Cool! to hear this!
    Considering we've recently discussed it too.
    Expanded?
    Details Pwease!
    (pssssssss......... I won't tell anyone!)

;)

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

We have two very well chosen bonus songs added to the original album. My favorite is Jim Reeves simply gorgeous version of the classic gem, Scarlet Ribbons, which features a sublime solo guitar accompaniment by producer Chet Atkins himself. Another great edition is Jim's posthumous number one Cashbox Country Singles Chart hit from 1966, Snowflake. There was a conscious decision not to add gospel songs from Jim or songs that really would not fit into a Christmas themed album. Some could quibble with the pick of Scarlet Ribbons, which is not an outright Christmas song, but the story itself seems like it could take place around Christmas time with its miracle gift story. I am most thrilled by the fact that Vic Anesini was picked to handle the remastering of Jim's iconic holiday album. We struck solid gold right there as far as I am concerned.

3. Rick Bartlett

Thanks!
    Yeah, interesting additions to the album. 'Snowflake' is one of my favorite Jim songs anyways!
    I'm glad the gospel material isn't added. There's a place for that, but I prefer that type of material separate myself.
    Similar to Elvis' original Xmas album, that's my only distraction about it, while they are great songs, I feel they are
    kind of 'slapped on'.....
    Great to hear Vic Anesini at the helm of this, actually excited to get a hold of this wonderful re-release.
    Will be thrilled and enthused to hear this again in what will no doubt-ably be a great sounding disc.
    Hopefully his work will match and equal with the great liner notes!
    :cool:

RSteven likes this.
  4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, I so agree with you here. I love gospel music, but to me personally, I find they are very different than Christmas carols and they do not necessarily compliment one another on an album. I feel the same way about Elvis's first Christmas album too and as much as I love it, I wish they had gotten Elvis to record a couple more actual Christmas songs, instead of having to resort to using gospel songs to round out his iconic holiday album from 1957.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  5. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Absolute nonsense.

6. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I don’t get it. The set is perfect. People can’t enjoy the things and be happy. I’ve even heard people say Richard Weize recorded himself singing harmony with the Carter Family and put it in the boxed set. Gotta have conspiracy theories over a box of music.

GodBlessTinyTim, RSteven and Mychael like this.
  7. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

Unfortunately, this will probably never happen. This idea was proposed several years back and was shot down. Two main reasons: 1. The Darin estate has an inexperienced "archivist" who can't get projects off the ground, and 2. Capitol (sadly) has no interest in being involved and/or leasing the tapes to anyone who would want to do it.

melstapler likes this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

Yes, it seems the golden era of single artist focused box sets are now a thing of the past.
    Other than a couple that slip through from BF once in a while, other labels most certainly aren't
    doing anything anymore.
    I purposely for years never bought much of Patsy Cline on CD, it the hopes of MCA or BF to compile
    a great definitive set, but here we are in 2019 in 'la la' land.
    Seems odd that I'm looking in second hand shops for 80's and 90's CD releases of artists that
    I've held of buying on, in the hopes to really throw some coin into something complete.
    Same goes with Sam Cooke.
    His catalogue is scattered too which is unfortunate.
    The great thing about the old 30 year old BF box sets and artist focused single discs, they still hold up.
    They are still as good today as they were then.
    Very grateful about that.

9. darling

darling Senior Member

Insofar as the golden era of CDs in general is a thing of the past, then yes. But in recent years value priced complete album collections have become a real thing. (The main problem with those kind of sets is that often times singles tracks/b-sides and so forth get overlooked).

Even then there are certainly gems out there - I'm thinking of the recent Bobby Gentry box which was as good as I've seen from a compny not named Bear Family.

As for Bear Family themselves, I suppose it might be a case of their wishlist running low: they've probably crossed off most of the list of artists they want to anthologize (and can get the rights to). It's disspointing that the Buddy Holly and Patsy Cline sets haven't happened yet, but maybe one day the licencing will fall into place.

Marketing considerations also play a part. A fourth Jerry Lee Lewis box - covering the years 1979-1985 (or later) - would be very nice to have, but maybe it just wouldn't sell that much?
    The same might be true for a desperately-needed Little Richard set - a surprising amount of his recordings have yet to appear on CD.
    Oooh... and a 1975-onwards Carl Perkins set. Again, much is unavailable on CD.
    Oh, and maybe some post-Specialty Larry Williams? (Come to think of it, some of his Specialty material hasn't made it to CD, and that that has is scattered over a number of discs, so...)

But hey, as long as Bear Family keeps going, there's hope, for which we should all be grateful.

10. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Faron Young portraying the character named "Deputy Faron Young" in the 1956 film "Hidden Guns"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  11. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

12. Svein Arne

A late 60s a live album with Little Richard was released on vinyl. OKEH records.I have it on a CD,but it is shorter then the vinyl from late 60s.Can Bear Family release this album uncut in full length?

melstapler likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Bear Family should be promoting their catalog BIG TIME to tie in to the release of Ken Burns film series. It should be a serious publicity effort, across all media. Web-based, magazines, newspapers, TV and that lost child, radio.

I have not seen signs of any such publicity for Bear Family. Maybe its out there. If not, this is a huge lost opportunity. Now or never. These TV series seriously ramp up the market for associated products.

I think their entire box set series should get heavy promotion, now. And the little ones too.

14. Svein Arne

An CD box set called "The evolution of the Nashville sound" With rare recordings with well known stars and artists that did not make it.There is enough music to chose from.

Tribute and RSteven like this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Nice idea, but I am personally tired of compilation boxsets as the primary activity. I'd much prefer a batch of boxes devoted to individual artists, then maybe another compilation or two. I have the Bakersfield box, but I would much rather have something on one artist.

Rick Bartlett, rod and melstapler like this.
  16. melstapler

Definitely. The momentum is there and hopefully younger generations will learn to appreciate country music and its rich history.

17. melstapler

There's been some talk about the release of Duane Eddy's new studio album. Just a few years ago, the forthcoming release of a new Duane Eddy album was announced in which fans could pre-order through crowdfunding site PledgeMusic, which entered bankruptcy and have apparently ceased operations. If any of you have Twitter or Facebook, Duane posts on his Twitter and his people handle have an official Facebook. If someone can ask Duane directly on Twitter, hopefully he'll respond. Considering the issues artists are having with PledgeMusic, it would be nice to know if the project will still see the light of day.

Duane Eddy new studio album status

Duane Eddy's official Twitter:
    Duane Eddy (@DuaneEddy) | Twitter

Duane Eddy Circle on Facebook:
    Duane Eddy Circle
    [​IMG]

Rick Bartlett and Tribute like this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That second episode of Ken Burns documentary was good. As I watched, I realized that I had complete collections of virtually every performer in the film. Thanks mostly to Richard Weize and Bear Family!

19. Svein Arne

PhantomStranger and melstapler like this.
  20. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Great indeed – but not from Richard Weize. The Koko-Mojo label just has the same distributor (and webmaster) as RWA.

21. Svein Arne

Elvis in studio 1972:

melstapler and MerseyBeatle like this.
  22. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Having listened to the Stanley Brothers' complete Rich-R-Tone recordings last night, I'm curious what Bear will be able to do with the sound for the label box set. Some of those 78s are pretty beat up.

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

John Cohen, Champion of Old-Time Music, Is Dead at 87
    As a founder of the New Lost City Ramblers and as a photographer, filmmaker and musicologist, he devoted his life to the traditional music of the rural South.

[​IMG]

The New Lost City Ramblers in the 1960s. From left: Mike Seeger, John Cohen and Tracy Schwarz. The group introduced a generation of young urbanites to the work of Depression-era rural performers.CreditCreditMichael Ochs Archives/Getty Images
    By Bill Friskics-Warren

New York Times

September 17, 2019

John Cohen, a founding member of the New Lost City Ramblers, the New York-based string band at the forefront of the old-time music revival of the 1950s and ’60s, died on Monday at his home in Putnam Valley, N.Y. He was 87.

His son, Rufus, said the cause was cancer.

Although best known as a performer, Mr. Cohen was also an accomplished photographer, filmmaker and musicologist. But virtually all his artistic pursuits were centered on a single goal: revitalizing the traditional music of the rural American South and building a movement around it.

Established in 1958, the Ramblers consisted of Mr. Cohen on banjo, guitar and vocals; the folklorist Mike Seeger, also on vocals, as well as fiddle and other instruments; and Tom Paley, who left the trio in 1962, on banjo, guitar and vocals. Together the three men introduced a generation of young urbanites to the work of Depression-era rural performers like Dock Boggs, Elizabeth Cotten and Blind Alfred Reed. (Tracy Schwarz, Mr. Paley’s replacement, played fiddle and guitar and sang with the group from 1962 until the early 1970s.)

Old Crow Medicine Show. The Grateful Dead’s 1970 single “Uncle John’s Band” is thought by many to be a tribute to Mr. Cohen and the Ramblers, whose musical corpus was arguably as rich a mother lode of vernacular source material as Harry Smith’s celebrated “Anthology of American Folk Music.”

Unlike some of their contemporaries, the trio did not merely imitate — or sanitize, as was the case with groups like the Kingston Trio — the unvarnished sounds of their Appalachian forebears. By mastering antediluvian musical syntax, the Ramblers accorded the old-time string band canon great respect while also equipping themselves to reimagine it with their own exuberant stamp.

The folklorist Jon Pankake, in the liner notes to “Where Do You Come From? Where Do You Go?,” a 2009 anthology of recordings by the Ramblers and their influences, characterized Mr. Cohen as “the group’s William Blake, a visionary role befitting his artist’s training and talents.”

“In retrospect,” Mr. Pankake continued, “he seemed most aware of the evolving mission of the Ramblers, most aware that the group was about something more than entertaining, was carving out some yet unknown place in history and inspiring many of its audience to become a new kind of musical community.”

Mr. Cohen made periodic field trips south to locate and record those of his Depression-era predecessors who were still alive and, whenever possible, bring them north to appear at folk festivals and on college campuses. His engagement with traditional Southern culture likewise extended to his photography, which appeared in publications like Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone and The New York Times, and is included in the collections of the National Gallery and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Published in 2001, his book “There Is No Eye” served as a repository of his 50 years of work as a photographer. It included images of subjects ranging from luminaries like Bill Monroe and Woody Guthrie to lesser-known figures like the banjo players Clarence Ashley and Charlie Poole.

Mr. Cohen was also a documentarian. His 1963 short “The High Lonesome Sound” examined the life and music of the Kentucky singer and banjoist Roscoe Holcomb. Included among his more than a dozen documentaries were films depicting the traditional music and mores of the Incas of Peru.

In contrast to some who introduce indigenous cultures to a wider audience, Mr. Cohen did not impose preconceived notions on his subjects. He shunned the term “folk” as a way of referring to native music and traditions, characterizing it, in a 2001 interview with the roots music magazine No Depression, as “an upper-class way of describing what poorer classes do.”

John Cohen was born on Aug. 2, 1932, in Sunnyside, Queens, to Israel Cohen, who owned a shoe store, and Sonya (Shack) Cohen, a homemaker. He grew up in suburban Great Neck, on Long Island. His parents introduced him to folk music when he was a child; in high school, he listened to Woody Guthrie records and started playing the guitar.

He earned a bachelor of fine arts degree from Yale in 1955 and a master of fine arts there in 1957. He also helped organize hootenannies on campus and began taking photographs of influential but, at the time, unsung musicians like the folk-blues singer the Rev. Gary Davis.
    Mr. Cohen later photographed the production of “Pull My Daisy,” Robert Frank’s 1959 film about the Beat Generation, featuring Allen Ginsberg and Jack Kerouac.

In the late 1950s Mr. Cohen photographed the comings and goings of the Abstract Expressionist painters who frequented the Cedar Bar in Greenwich Village. His book “Young Bob,” published in 2003, collected his photos of Bob Dylan’s arrival on the Village folk scene in the early 1960s.

A number of Mr. Cohen’s photographs were licensed for use in the Ken Burns documentary series “Country Music,” currently being shown on PBS. Some of them are also included in Mr. Cohen’s book “Speed Bumps on a Dirt Road: When Old Time Music Met Bluegrass,” published this month.

Friends of Old Time Music, an organization Mr. Cohen founded with the folklorists Ralph Rinzler and Izzy Young, presented a series of concerts in New York showcasing old-time musicians from 1961 to 1965.

In 1965 Mr. Cohen married Penelope Seeger, the youngest sibling of the musical Seeger family, which also included her brother Mike, Mr. Cohen’s bandmate in the New Lost City Ramblers, and their half brother Pete. She died in 1993. The Cohens’ daughter, Sonya Cohen Cramer, a singer, died in 2015. In addition to their son, Rufus, Mr. Cohen is survived by two grandchildren and a brother, Michael.

Mr. Cohen left the Ramblers in the early ’70s, having by then established a second career as a filmmaker and as professor of visual arts at SUNY Purchase College, where he taught photography and drawing from 1972 to 1997. In 1973 he released the album “Home Grown,” recorded with the Putnam String County Band. (Around the same time, his former bandmates Mike Seeger and Mr. Schwarz began performing more contemporary country material with the Strange Creek Singers, a band that also included their fellow old-time musicians Hazel Dickens, Alice Gerrard and Lamar Grier.)

Mr. Cohen was an associate music producer, with T Bone Burnett, on the 2003 movie “Cold Mountain,” set in the last days of the Civil War. In 2005 he appeared in “No Direction Home,” Martin Scorsese’s PBS documentary about Mr. Dylan.

A documentary about Mr. Cohen, “Play On, John: A Life in Music,” was shown on the Smithsonian Network in 2009. His archive was acquired by the Library of Congress in 2011.

“When I started to pursue music, it was a many-sided involvement,” Mr. Cohen wrote in the liner notes to the CD that accompanied his 2001 photo retrospective. “I photographed it, performed it, presented it, recorded it and made films about it.

“While some collectors of music were out looking for stars and innovators,” he continued, “I was seeking music that was still in direct touch with its roots, and I only photographed things connected to my search.”

24. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bakersfield box just arrived. The mail lady came to my door and pointed out how the packaging had some considerable damage and told me she'd already taken pictures of it just in case. Thankfully the item itself appears to be unharmed.

25. Svein Arne

A DVD:
    https://www.amazon.com/Pete-Seegers...+seeger+dvd&qid=1568822643&s=movies-tv&sr=1-4