Schiit Sol- The Next Great Turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by msinderson, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Wheeler

Mike Wheeler Well-Known Member

If you think removing the tonearm, removing the belt, removing the platter, unplugging everything, flipping the plinth and adjusting platter height is easier than adjusting the VTA which can be done while a record is playing....

It would have to be an awfully thick record for me to bother adjusting the VTA. The long tonearm makes it even less necessary than with a short tonearm.

bootbox likes this.
  2. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Back in the late 60's I well remember seeing a gold coloured Oldsmobile Tornado (looked like a 66 model) parked along the narrow road of a small Welsh town where I lived. American cars were, and still are as far as I know, a rare sight in the UK and the odd one you did see back then was usually past it's sell by date like my boss's 61 Ford Galaxie Sunliner that gave up the ghost after just 80 miles of a 400 mile trip to Scotland where we were contracted to work. Shame as it was a really nice car! That was far from the case with the Tornado..it was immaculate! Around a year later there was a stunning white Cadillac Eldorado parked in the very same spot. Not sure what year it was but it looked pretty new. The same chap owned both cars.

stereoguy likes this.
  3. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Adjusting the platter height is used to dial in the setup of the motor pod while adjustable arm height allows you to use tall cartridges and extra thick aftermarket platter mats.

4. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Looking at the manual, turns out the platter height is adjusted by a single set screw on the side of the central bearing housing.

It seems to be pretty easy, actually. :)

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The Olds Tornado was unusual as it was front-wheel drive. At the time it may have been the only American front-wheel drive car made.

willboy likes this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think to call this a “beta test” is inaccurate, for sure, but it doesn’t seem to me like quite the same as paying to participate. You can’t order one for $500 and participate, it’s a voluntary partial refund to people who already bought one, and I am guessing $500 may be essentially the point at which Schiit does not make money.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  7. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Actually, yes you can. I did. I should have it late this week or early next week. Did not buy it originally at $799, but am buying it for $499 with the expectation of providing feedback and input to help improve it. Since I am already keenly aware that this table, while flawed initially, punches well above it's $800 price tag for SQ, I am completely cool with paying $500 and working out the kinks.

Twinsfan007, bever70, Derleth and 3 others like this.
  8. Mike Wheeler

Mike Wheeler Well-Known Member

True, everything with the table is pretty easy to adjust, but once you loosen that screw you need to push up the bearing spindle (or whatever it's called) from the bottom of the turntable. I don't think this can be easily done with the platter or anything else on the table.

9. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

Huh! How did you manage to order one? It doesn't seem possible on the site at the moment.

Big Blue likes this.
  10. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

FWIW, McMaster-Carr offers several different belt options for round belts:

McMaster-Carr

...if I were working on one of these, I'd determine the length of the existing belt and order a sample of different belts from McMaster and do some testing.

brn likes this.
  11. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Touché !
    I've been following this thread and the underlying theme that strikes me is the depth and fervor of some people's brand loyalty. I have nothing for or against any company in particular, I just appreciate the free market. Let the strong survive! It may be that Schiit is stronger than I thought - a great company need not be based on great products, and in the end luxury products can rarely be judged on their own merits, their value is much more about how they make you feel. If Schiit can sell an objectively inferior product that nonetheless elicits a subjectively superior feeling in the customer, then they've cracked the code and made it to the big leagues right up there with women's perfume and Bose speakers.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    The Dragon, Agitater and Rolltide like this.
  12. winders

winders Music Lover

Wow. You can’t stop with negative posts, can you? The turntable has some issues but that does not mean it is “objectively inferior”. It just means they needs to make some changes and will do so before that start selling it again. Based what people have said about the product with cartridges that fit properly, it is objectively at least as good as anything it it’s price range.

33na3rd and Derleth like this.
  13. brn

brn Well-Known Member

Yes you can. Just lift the tonearm of and take the belt off. You can then tilt it enough to one side, loosen the set screw, push it up, re-tighten set screw. Done it once already.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  14. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

You're right. My bad. BTW, it was Toronado. ;)

I saw a video on how that original FWD worked. It's amazing it worked. I wonder how the Cord FWD worked.

Regarding the 1980 offerings. That was just the first ones for "mainstream" use and the era in which FWD became common. As a kid I loved the Toronado. We had a 1959 Olds 98 at the time, so I was fond of them. :)

15. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

If the table isn't inferior, why is the company apologizing for it being faulty and pulling it from sales? When I said 'objectively inferior' I meant as compared to other turntables which are not being pulled due to QC or poor design issues (as per their manufacturer's own statements).
    I'm not trying to be negative, but I am surprised that folks would think a company knowingly releasing a faulty product is somehow commendable and something to be defended and applauded. The fact that so many people seem to look favourably on this approach makes me question my own feelings and conclude that style trumps substance....which is totally fine!

16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I don’t know that they did knowingly release a faulty product, though. It seems like they were unaware of the problems. That in itself is massively embarrassing to Schiit and damages its reputation, and I think any consumer is justified in not considering their products in general due to lack of confidence. However, for those who got one and are taking the partial refund and whatever replacement parts come their way, I do get the appeal. I think if a turntable like this was interesting enough to someone that it was an “order at launch” product, the idea of tinkering with it and getting some cash back for the efforts may be a great deal.

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

If a different brand also new to turntables had to pause sales to fix problems said brand would get panned (rightfully so). But Schiit is like a pop star with a protective Twitter army that passionately defends her against any perceived slight. This is really my sole gripe with Schiit - the cult of personality prevents organic feedback. Any less then glowing feedback is attacked by the Schiit Hive who uncritically gush over anything they do.

The Dragon, nibor and spartree like this.
  18. winders

winders Music Lover

Both of you guys are over the top. No, they did not “knowingly” release a faulty product. Yes, this does damage their reputation but how they are handling it goes a long way toward completely mitigating the damage done. I doubt that this faux pas affects customer buying decisions on other products.

Derleth likes this.
  19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Assuming everything works out, some people will likely end up with the GOAT $500 turntable.

Twinsfan007, bootbox and Big Blue like this.
  20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Time will tell. I would still consider their DACs and amps, but I couldn’t fault somebody for being leery of the Schiit brand based on this.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  21. Derleth

Derleth Active Member

I got mine Friday, and (known issues aside) it is fantastic, but not for entry level people at all. It took me and a friend about two and a half hours to get everything set up, but it sounds better then my Debut Carbon with the same Grado cart (i happened to have 2 Grado blacks) on it.
    I bought it knowing that i would have something that would need improvements and that version 2 would be better then what i was buying. I doubt any early adopters thought otherwise.
    However, the headshell issue really surprised me, until we found out that the prototype leads were much shorter.
    Everyone can make mistakes, it's in how you handle them that shows who you truly are. I was given the choice and I chose to keep it, but i could just as easily send it back (even still can if i change my mind). I am now getting a fantastic deal on it, and am happy to help make it even better for those who didn't buy it on day one.

jeffsab likes this.
  22. brn

brn Well-Known Member

BTW, has anyone that bought one actually been refunded the $300 yet? There was no mention of when it was going to be, and I haven't been yet.

23. insidious meme

insidious meme Forum Resident

Wow the piling on goin on here. Do they deserve to get heat for what happened? Of course. Did the "legions of schiit fans who would apologize for any bad move they do" prevent this? Obviously not. Most of the actual fans had stayed quiet because they have no leg to stand on.

24. Paddlefoot

Paddlefoot Active Member

i did over the weekend. Greg

25. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Cool. Kinda what I figured... it’s not too hard to adjust platter height. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.