Schiit Sol- The Next Great Turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by msinderson, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Please tell me what amps these are? Are they the ones that look kinda like something NAGRA would make?

2. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

Login to Amazon and search for: "Nobsound 300B Monoblock vacuum tube Integrated Amplifier." You will see 3 listings -- the one I purchased for JJ Tesla tubes is unavailable now but my review is still there.
    Don't know Nagra so cannot comment. Nobsound produces lots of entry level tube stuff and this is their move into a high end product. They got this one very right -- give it a try and see. The EBay reviews for 14 sales are similarly effusive.
    Nobsound is a straightforward company. They are building me a custom preamp at a modest cost and went to some trouble to get the transaction through Amazon.
    Give it a listen. You will not return the amp. High current so it punches well past its 10 watt spec.

inperson likes this.
  3. Derleth

Derleth Active Member

I got my $300 over the weekend as well

4. brn

brn Well-Known Member

Got it now. Guess they just had to get around to my email.

I checked out the site, interesting. Anyone know what size the belt is? I won't be able to get to mine for a bit, I may order a few just to try/see how good the belts are. Looks like there are color options too:thumbsup:

5. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I just emailed and asked if that was a possibility, and they directed me to the person to sign up with. I can get you her email via PM if you'd like; rather not post it publicly but that's just me being conservative, is all. I messaged a few folks in this thread with the info whose prior posts seemed to indicate they might want to do what I did, if it were an option.

6. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I got mine this afternoon, but I only just emailed them my response this morning. Now, if only the table would show up.....

7. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Belt length is not so important as the diameter, as it affects the ratio of the pulley diameters and speed. Length can be any practical length.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you the diameter since the table hasn't arrived yet...:(

8. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I looked at their flexible round belts and I don't see any that would be big enough for a turntable.

9. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

The polyurethane belts are still very flexible. Don’t need neoprene. Do you know the size of the current belt (circumference and cross sectional D)?

inperson likes this.
  10. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Oh, I don't have a Sol TT. I was just looking at that website for future reference in case I wanted to try one of their belts with one of my TT's. Thanks.

11. Derleth

Derleth Active Member

I should add, it was $300 plus the tax on the 300. Really cool seeing that the refund included the tax. Also got a long email about what they were fixing and such.

MrMikeGC51 likes this.
  12. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Yes, that's the amp I was talking about. They have a Nagra style appearance, I wasn't inferring they are a Nagra knockoff or anything.
    I think they look great. If I had extra cash I'd think about getting them. I also have too many tube amps the way it is.

Would it be terrible if I asked you for a picture of them in your setup? Maybe you could post a picture in the thread of "pictures of your systems". I'd really like to see them in a proper setup.

13. AudioAddict

inperson:
    Am new to this site and cannot figure out how to add a JPEG. My 300Bs are the same as on the Amazon website except they are sitting on a stand I call a "No Pee Stand" to protect them from my Cavalier Spaniels -- who love to lift a leg on any audio device (but subwoofers are their favored attack...). If someone call tell me how to add a photo will do so.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  14. inperson

inperson Senior Member

You need to use an picture sharing website to post a picture here.

15. AudioAddict

inperson (again):
    Looked over the Nagra site and think they are rather different than the one tall Nagra amp. Spent some time looking at the inside of the Nobsounds and they use Japanese transformers cleverly hanging down from a center divider with a circuit board held high on the upper division (yes, it is not wired point-to-point). The main reaction you have when first listening is how dead black quiet they are -- 98 db s/n. Have them hooked up in parallel with large SS amps and can switch back and forth in 15 seconds. Did this for the first week or so until I decided there was no contest. SET amps are the way to go for my tastes as long as the speakers are efficient enough and my Tekton Double Impacts shine in efficiency and live sound.

inperson likes this.
  16. AudioAddict

inperson:
    Please pass along a URL to a sharing website that works.

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

imgur is one. I would suggest creating an account there before uploading an image. Creating an account will allow you to manage the images you upload there and delete them later.

Imgur will give you a direct link to your image. Copy that direct link (ending in jpg) in a IMG tag here in a forum post and it will post your image.

inperson likes this.
  18. AudioAddict

Mr. Sandwich:
    Yes, I did all of that in Imgur and it still won't accept images. Will try another site later. Thanks for the advice.

19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I'm not sure if new members here are restricted from posting IMG links or URL links until after a set number of posts?

20. winders

winders Music Lover

Let’s stay on topic guys. 300B amps have nothing to do with Sol....

bever70, bootbox and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  21. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Based on the issues mentioned in this thread, I guess it's not the next great turntable. Maybe change the title to

Schiit Sol- A New Turntable That Needs Some More Work.

bever70, Aftermath, Robert C and 2 others like this.
  22. winders

winders Music Lover

Keep your day job......

bootbox likes this.
  23. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

You're quite the wit, huh?

24. AudioAddict

inperson:
    Have been able to get a photo of the 300bs on the site as the avatar one; see it here.

inperson and Ham Sandwich like this.
  25. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident

completely fair assessment to say that the launch for this turntable was a disaster. i can't even think of another company that has released something as a product then turned around a week later and declare that the launch is now a beta product. you do the beta, then the launch. not the other way around...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.