Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

Thanks, I truly appreciate it.. Sorry for the non review of the Ross pressing ... Just that it's clean, free of defects and quite good especially considering it is from 2019 and Ross is around 23 years old! No flute either so you might like it

MisterBritt likes this.
  2. Rob Zarzecki

Agreed so I went the ebay route, Discogs is another option too... I don't see much on their site except for maybe some donald byrd but I prefer his earlier stuff so ...

3. Rob Zarzecki

Nice set isn't it !? The comic book even looks fun

MisterBritt and scotti like this.
  4. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I'm listening to Sonny Rollins and the Contemporary Leaders now and am always amazed how good this record sounds. I've always thought Roy DuNann's recordings sound better than RVG's. Everything is in focus, well-balanced and clear.

5. The AP 45 sounds incredible. I’d love to hear the issue you’re referring to as well. May have to track that one down

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Nice listens today, but some call outs. Checked out "Hub-Tones" again and really starting to get into this one the more I listen. And wouldn't you know all this talk earlier about the flute, there it was again and sounding mighty fine, thank you Mr. Spaulding.

Was in a Melvin Sparks mood, so I pulled out "Texas Twister" from 1973 (RSD 2018) featuring Leo Morris on 6 of the 7 songs. If you like guitar laced Jazz with some groove to it, look out, this one delivers the goods. Just sample the song "Judy's Groove" and hear what I mean. Highly Recommended!

Then went to side 2 of Think! Of course some more Melvin Sparks on this one, and I forgot how nice this sounds. I (Think!) these BN 80th's are starting to impress! But then I went to a title that has not gotten much love here "Blue Mode". Just had to hear some more of that Melvin Sparks magic once again. In my opinion this album is better than Think!, both the music and the sound quality. The bottom end and punch this one brings is just crazy good! Reuben Wilson at his best!

And let me call out Sparks guitar work on this one. He kills it on this and noticeably better than on Think! This is one smoking hot funky Jazz album and the more I listen to it, the more I love it!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Whereas RVG I’m sure was a gear head, almost audiophile like, Roy has always been described as a minimalist. Just re read that Stereophile article/interview, he ran his mics through variable attenuators directly into his tape machine, and just modified volume on the fly. Mics had plenty of gain, didn’t need to amp them, such a clean signal path.

8. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Oh, definitely better than RVG's sound. The word that always comes to mind to describe his sound is "clean".

recstar24 likes this.
  9. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

calgary669, mktracy, blutiga and 5 others like this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Bare with me, as this is regarding the BN 80th titles. So with the 3 LP remaster/outtakes of Abbey Road hitting next week that with tax would run me around $80. I'm a big fan of The Beatles, but they are not one of my favorites any longer. So I decided to listen to it yesterday. I have a mint shape first pressing on vinyl and a Japanese mini sleeve as well. SO as I played it, I was like, how many times am I really going to listen to the new remaster and outtakes, not very often. Sure this features the legendary second side, but side 1 features those incredible masterpiece's Maxwell Silver Hammer and Octopus's Garden (what amazing lyrics) and then I came to my senses and was like, you need to cancel this order while I'm picking up the Sonny Rollins this Thursday.

So with $80 now cleared up, I have decided to order "Blacks and Blues" and "Canvas" and will get those when I pick up "Blue World" next week. Thanks again for the feedback!

So as I look at the remaining titles that are announced from this line, I was only unsure about Lee Konitz's "Alone Together" and Brian Blade's "Fellowship". So I sampled them both (yes me) and really dug the Brian Blade, and will be getting it now. But the Konitz did not impress one bit, in fact, to my ears, it's just not a very good record. Unless someone can tell me what I'm missing on this one, I will not be getting it. I do like some of his work though. So this will put me at 35 of the 36 titles of the BN 80th's when the final three from this round are released in April. So if I include the releases from the first go around of the Tone Poet's, this will have added 53 Jazz albums to my collection, and that is pretty awesome!

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Glad you mentioned "The Flowering" getting that classic as well. And I may be late, but also ordering the SC of "Forest Flower" this week (great record). Did you see how many unreleased recordings Atlantic has sitting around of his?

And if may ask, when you listen to the Boz Scaggs, would you let me know how the sound is? Have the original and was not going to double dip, but a really nice album and worth having just for the guitar work of Duane Allman. Do you think "Loan Me A Dime" is a K-SHE classic! Thanks in advance.

12. The SC reissue of Forest Flower is incredible. Gets a lot of playtime over here. I will definitely be picking up The Flowering as well.

AFA and scotti like this.
  13. Josquin des Prez

I'm buying the Boz Scaggs for "Loan Me Dime" if nothing else. I only have that on my original copy of Duane Allman Anthology Vol. 1, and that is somewhat beat up from my youth.

When I was a teen the local rock radio station (yes, KSHE in St. Louis) played "Loan Me A Dime" every Friday night at midnight. It was tradition for us to be at a radio to hear it every weekend, no matter what we were doing. :)

Forest Flower is a classic and sounds fantastic. I have my original copy (not a 1st press) and the SC reissue.

14. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Also have the SC "Forest Flower", and yeah, it's absolutely fantastic. I''ll be getting The Flowering too.

Greenmonster2420 and scotti like this.
  15. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Forest Flower was one of the first dozen Jazz albums I picked up a couple years ago. A first press but it had been loved and played a lot before me. Coming from rock and alternative, it stood out to me amongst the Bill Evans, Miles Davis and John Coltrane albums I also had.
    I’ve since come around but still love that album. I’m excited to get a clean AAA copy of this. But now I must also investigate this album called The Flowering. I don’t know who has the tougher task-someone just getting into jazz and seeing almost a century of amazing music to catch up on, or the other side with double dipping issues while still continuously discovering new music.
    Hell, I’m just getting into it and I am already considering double dipping on Forest Flower. Haha. Maybe I should just hunt for The Flowering.

scotti likes this.
  16. I would not pass on the Speakers Corner Forest Flower, but that's just me. Way better than my original press. Just awesome.

Clucking, scotti and Crazysteve like this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Fellow Jazz fans, this is a very awesome post! Wow, good stuff!

18. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

If anyone is interested, here are needle drops of the MMJ (45 RPM) and BN80 versions of Indestructible. I'll keep the identities of each file to myself for the time being.

A version
    Another version

Dai, bkbk, Vic Trola and 8 others like this.
  19. Crazysteve

Thanks a lot Scotti. Boz Scaggs. Now previewed while cooking and ordered after eating. Stoked for yet another recommendation from these parts.

20. Josquin des Prez

This is the kind of stuff I liked about the TP thread before it changed its ways and turned into hyper-analysis of masterings. That's why I lost interest and left the thread. I have more fun talking about the music itself and sharing recommendations.

21. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

Thanks for this. Both sound very similar to me, although the KS sounds a bit more fuller. However, its amazing that both are this close!

22. Crazysteve

They really are close. I thank you as well for that opportunity.

23. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Looks like the polarity was reversed on one of them somewhere in the mastering?

AFA likes this.
  24. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

I noticed that, as well! Did you look at the wave form or were you hearing something?

AFA likes this.
  25. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I’ve noticed this on quite a few MM releases that saw a release on 45 and 33.