Cincinnati & Columbus Ohio Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by factory44, Sep 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omom

omom Forum Resident

Not sure what direction you are headed but if near Mt Gilead (about 45 mins north of cbus), check out Legend Records. Good selection of old vinyl and CDS.

Dennis0675 and factory44 like this.
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Lots of great choices here but I wanted to just put that extra bump in for Plaid Room in Loveland. Just a great spot.

TonyG and factory44 like this.
  3. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

RockRoom and factory44 like this.
  4. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Not a record store, per say, but west out of Columbus near Springfield you'll find two HUUUUGE antique malls straddling the Interstate which are worth a check. I snagged a mono Elvis CLAMBAKE there for a whole two bucks along with some other goodies. It's fun to dig sometimes!

factory44 likes this.
  5. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

Been to all the Cbus stores mentioned. None of them are bad, but my favorite was RPM. Steve the owner is a good guy and he has a ton of new releases, rare jazz boxes, just about every rock box released on vinyl, and a large $3-5 buck section of used lp’s. Has a decent selection if used cd’s, posters, tshirts, and vintage equipment.

factory44 and Echoes Myron like this.
  6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Records Per Minute is great. Awesome stock on MOFI, AP, MM Jazz, etc as well. Steve is really on top of all the good new stuff. Great shop.

Used Kids and Spoonful excellent as well. Each has its own niche/specialty. Columbus is an awesome town for record stores.

7. I will be sure to check some of these out when I am back in Columbus in a couple weeks. I haven't shopped for records there since moving away 7 years ago

Papi Hipbone323 and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone who has responded. Looks like I’ve got a lot of great places to check out!

9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

yes, we are fortunate in Columbus to have about 7 decent to great records stores. A big advantage Columbus has over Cincinnati is you can actually get to all the shop without burning a day in the car. In Columbus they are clustered together and traffic is nowhere near the disaster it is in Cincinnati. Shake it records might be more a pain to get to than Jerry's in Pittsburgh and going to any record store in Cincinnati after Shake it is going to take a half hour in the car at best.

factory44 and Papi Hipbone323 like this.
  10. Brian Hoffman

Brian Hoffman Obsessive fanatic extraordinaire

We are lucky to have a ton of stores around here. I mainly go to MetaModern Music in Oakley, because of the proximity, but they're more into the reggae/psych/prog/krautrock vein than indie/alternative. I've bought The Fall, Fugazi and other LPs from there, though. As others have said, Shake It and Everybody's are great bets as well. I've found some serious gems at Everybody's, including an in-the-shrink Physical Graffiti and some original Yo La Tengos (before the repress). Went to Plaid Room recently and was super impressed by them as well.

factory44 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.