Doctor Sleep (The Shining Sequel Film) - November 8th, 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I petered out, as well, around chapter 3.

Pussycat likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Look st the bright side, Hollywood is known for changing things, they might fix the story.

3. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I wonder how King feels that they are leaning so heavily on the iconic Kubrick film, when he was so critical of it. I prefer Kubrick's film over the book any day.

4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

From the looks of it, it is a sequel to the Kubrick film and not the book. I prefer the book but I love the film as well - I remember begging my parents to let me see it when it came out.

The TV miniseries never matched what I saw in my head when I read the book the first time, which was around the time the film came out. I always pictured the book taking place in the Kubrick Overlook Hotel.

MikeInFla likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Yes, I think it's one of his better books, with a great, satisfying ending (a rare thing when it comes to King books). There was one particular patch in the middle that made me restless but aside from that I was pretty engaged throughout.

Vidiot and Pussycat like this.
  6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think he’s probably sensible enough to understand that, while his book may be a sequel to his book, a movie audience is going to expect the Overlook in Doctor Sleep to be Kubrick’s Overlook.

King’s main objection to the movie was that Kubrick wasn’t interested in dramatizing Jack Torrence’s psychological journey as he had written it, and that’s not really a factor in Doctor Sleep... I don’t imagine it would bother him if they use Kubrick’s production design, I think he approved of that.

I think the main danger of leaning hard on The Shining is that, in the book at least, Doctor Sleep is largely a story about adult Danny Torrence in a new predicament, and the events of his past are secondary, though the plot does eventually contrive to return him to the scene. People will probably be expecting more of a straight sequel... but how else can you expect them to market it.

7. Daniel Plainview

Yeah, that was a memorable moment. Kind of sad.

googlymoogly likes this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Good point.
    Losing all the AA stuff would not please me. Hey if they want the folks who read the book to stay home, that's their prerogative.

9. Daniel Plainview

Agreed. I think a lot of people are going to get something they aren't expecting when they buy this ticket. I wouldn't be surprised to find the Kubrick-y scenes seen in the trailer don't amount to more than 3 minutes of actual screen time, unless they totally reworked the story to make it more enticing to general audiences looking for Nicholson wielding an ax.

10. Daniel Plainview

p.s. Any chance of a Shelly Duvall cameo? I know she's been having issues, but it would be nice if they could sneak her in there somewhere.

MikeInFla likes this.
  11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I can't imagine this happening with her mental health issues, although I would love to see evidence that she has gotten better since her last public appearance.

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

How 'Doctor Sleep' director convinced Stephen King film should tie in to Kubrick’s 'Shining'

13. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Wonder if they will be using the Stanley Hotel for exterior shots? If it's in the preview I missed it.

[​IMG]

14. Saw the trailer last night. Wife sez "look, Ewan McGregor has a new movie out!" She really digs Ewan, as do I. Being a major Kubrick fan & a disciple of 'The Shining' there is no doubt I will see this movie. Hope it scares the #### out of us. On a side note, I hope Ewan gets a shot at playing James Bond. Just sayin'...

[​IMG]

15. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

They were clearly going for a Nicholson vibe on Ewan McGregor’s facial expression when the trailer depicted him looking through the door his dad chopped through with the axe at the Overlook.

16. Daniel Plainview

And thinking about a certain scene at the end of the book....

Would Jack Nicholson be willing to come out of retirement to make a cameo and give a wave to his son at the end of the final conflict?

I reckon I should get busy re-reading the book in preparation for the movie. It was only a couple of years ago but I could use a refresher.

17. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

This looks pointless to me. By all means make a film of the book, but don't make a film of a book as a sequel to a film that the guy that wrote the book can't stand.

I can't see this being any good.

The only good thing that could possible come out of it is reissuing "The Shining" soundtrack album that has been unavailable since 198o

18. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

If you read the Article linked above in a Post by BeatleJWOL, seems like the Director of the Movie was actually trying to Thread the Needle to work as a Sequel to the Book and referring to parts of Kubricks' Movie version. Well, despite King disliking what Kubrick did to his Book(mainly about how Jack Nicholson was the wrong choice as he already 'looked' cray cray from the beginning-Jack being Jack so to speak, and the Book was about how the Main Character went from being a Normal Person then with the Alcohol Problem, also started to change and end up cray cray), King has read the Script and seen a copy of the Movie(if I read that article correctly), and he has provided his Approval and on Board with what the Director has done for 'Dr. Sleep'.

So, if this Movie based off of his Book is Good Enough for Steven King, then it is Good Enough for me.

Also, I separated out the Original Movie(The Shining) from the Book and appreciate both of them for what they are even if the Movie was Kubrick's 'The Shining' and not King's 'The Shining', it was still a well done Horror Movie. I never saw 'The Shining' in the Theater, but did buy the DVD and have watched it a few times.

This is a potential Great Year for Horror Movies that started out with 'Us'(Jordan Peele), seems like 'Pet Semetary' was just ok, based on reviews and not really necessary(I watched the Original 6-8 years ago on YouTube and like it and the Blu Ray of the Original is on Sale at Target this week for $7-$8 so I bought it). Then in August, 'Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark(Guillermo del Toro involved with part of the Screenplay) that might be Real Good. Then in September, we get 'IT-Chapter 2' and in November, 'Dr. Sleep'. Probably several more Horror Movies also being released this year and some of them might be good. Have my Doubts about another 'Child's Play' Movie though being any good, but we will see.

MikeInFla likes this.
  19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Seems odd to me that this is coming out over a week after Halloween. But I guess the new It movie will be out before Halloween and I can see how they might compete against each other.

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

New trailer. Less Kubrick, more book. I admit to blood cold in my veins

neo123 and MikeInFla like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's interesting that Kubrick hated the book ending -- the boiler blows up, destroying the hotel and killing Jack while the family gets away -- and came up with a new one, which is Jack freezes to death in the topiary garden. King felt that was unforgiveable, but has said "it's an extremely well-made film that made too many changes to the book."

My biggest beef with Kubrick's Shining is that Nicholson is crazy from the very first scene, and in the book he starts out very normal, very down-to-earth, and gradually gets more and more crazy until he's completely psychotic by the end. The book is a lot more nuanced, though there's still plenty of nutty things in it.

MikeInFla likes this.
  22. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but thinking back, the main character really could have been anyone, not necessarily Danny Torrance, and it still could have worked. It's been a long time since I read the book, however.

23. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I'm thankful that the director has said he's avoiding jump scares. Jump scares don't scare me, they just piss me off.

Although he also said there were no jump scares in The Shining. I think Scatman Crothers might beg to differ on that one.

Vidiot and apesfan like this.
  24. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Well, that is the same exact comment King had made years ago(think I read it in the mid-late '90s) about the Movie and Nicholson looking Crazy from the start(think King mentioned that Jack had just come off of making the movie where he played faking being Crazy in the Mental Institution), so guess you are just sharing the same take as King on Nicholson being miscasted in that role. Or maybe you meant to and forgot to also add quotation marks for that comment like you added in the paragraph above this one(I pasted) in your post.

Either way, I can understand King being upset, as he called it 'Kubrick's Shining' and not his own, and why he did a TV Mini Movie Remake awhile back, but not sure how many people saw that one(King's Version).

Kubrick's Version still is a Great Scary Movie though.

Wonder what King thinks of his Son(Joe Hill) using some of his Dad's ideas(Kids with Mental Powers, Creepy Vampire Kids, etc.) for his Book/AMC Series-'NOS4A2'? I think even King himself once mentioned that there are only about 10 Basic Ideas for Horror Novels, so might just be unavoidable that Hill will use similar ideas as his Dad, but then again, King has written such a large number of Books, it would be tough for his Sons(including his younger one, Owen) to develop completely New Ideas for their Novels, or at least avoid any overlap of ideas.

That being said, I have not yet read all of Hill's Books, although did buy 'NOS4A2' but have not read it yet, although watched the First Season on AMC, which I enjoyed more than the TV Critics apparently from a few reviews I had read on it(although was prior to the end of the 1st Season). The Woman playing Vic McQueen was really good-IMO.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey, you remember the woman in the Overlook Hotel's Room 237?

[​IMG]

The audience I was with in Chicago blew the roof off the theater when she began to disintegrate and turned into a 120-year-old rotted hag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.