Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident

A bit of a discouraging sign that "the what's next for the Bootleg Series?" didn't merit a full-length article like it usually does in RS.

NYMets41 likes this.
  2. dee

dee Senior Member

lol ;)

3. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

why no mention of "Western Road" in the article?

questions for the experts:
    does the rehearsal take of "Lay Lady Lady" that was an iTunes bonus track with Together Through Life have a take number? if so, is that getting a lossless release on this set?
    is there a take number for "I Threw It All Away" and "Country Pie" from BS10: Another Self Portrait? i'm wondering if those are the same takes that are appearing on this set?

asdf35, Natural E and DeeThomaz like this.
  4. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

I think I would be considered as Dylan-obsessive as just about anyone. OK, I know there are Bob-nuts out there way more nuts than me, but I am up there in the percentiles.

But the most I can come up with over this release is a big, fat "meh."

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Jeff Rosen is confused about what's what.

His priorities are backwards.

6. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

i doubt they'll be anything exclusive from the official site, but remind me, did the official site announcement not go up until Friday last time?

7. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

Another Bootleg Series that will sit on my shelf after being played once.
    My only hope is that having Johnny Cash plastered on the front will spark some extra sales, which apparently they desperately need to justify further releases.
    I hope TOOM will surface sooner than later.

Next Year's Man likes this.
  8. cable hogue

Pretty excited for JWH and NS outtakes but dang, that third disc is all filler, no killer.

ronbow, dee and Richard--W like this.
  9. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

jeff, baby, yuh KILLIN' me!

redsock and talkingleaf like this.
  10. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I'm pretty keen on this. I would have been delighted with a comprehensive set - everything from JWH, and the February and April/May '69 sessions.

It's something of a part 2 to ASP...or part 1...or something. Combine everything on this plus everything on that, delete the '67 tracks (which is what I'll do), and, especially if you have the deluxe edition with the IOW show, you get a rather nice collection of '69 and '70 material with a dusting of '71.

asdf35 and HominyRhodes like this.
  11. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

This is true and I agree. But that's because we've heard it. But there are countless people who haven't heard it, and for them a vintage Cash/Dylan tandem is about as tantalizing as it gets. Which is precisely why it's being released ahead of copyright concerns. I've said this before, but the only thing worse than releasing substandard material when you have control over it is leaving it to others to release when you have no control. At least with this method, Bobco can present the material framed in the best light possible.

This set is coming into existence primarily because of copyright concerns, make no mistake. But that doesn't mean the well is running dry. It just means this has to come out now, pushing its way ahead of other more exciting stuff.*

* That is not to say I'm not excited. I am! Gimme that JWH material!!!

12. Richard--W

Or maybe he's trying to torment us.

rihajarvi likes this.
  13. John Rhett Thomas

I'm convinced 100% by now that the bootleg quality artwork and design is intentional for the Bootleg Series.

14. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I took a quick shot at fixing it. I evened out the bottom of the guitar, added in the bottom of the mic stand, removed the white mark on the bottom edge of the cover and reduced some red in the shadow of Bob's face.

15. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This probably says more about Rolling Stone and where it's priorities lie than about Dylan's popularity or the thirst of his fans to acquire as much as they can.

16. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Positive for this set is that aside from the long rumored coffee house years, there’s essentially nothing left for them to do with the 1960s. Which only puts into stronger contrast how much left on the table for the 70s-90s.

17. John Rhett Thomas

“We’ve collected all these early tapes of him like the Minnesota Hotel Tapes and all the tapes that Tony Glover recorded,” says the source. “We have all these things in beautiful quality along with the Town Hall concert [in 1963] and the Carnegie Hall concert [in 1963]. Some day we’ll put these all together and put them out, but it’s not like people are clamoring for it."

Gaah!!! CLAMOR CLAMOR CLAMOR!!!! :rant:

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Pre-ordered!

:nauga:

19. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Looks good. The arc and placement of Travelin’ Thru is driving me nuts. How did this hack job design work get past Sony quality control?

20. cable hogue

Oh man, just noticed that. AWFUL! Stunning, really.

savemenow likes this.
  21. Richard--W

Nothing left for them to do with the 1960s?
    Are you serious?

22. John Rhett Thomas

To be fair, there's probably not much to add to the discussion beyond what was said when More Blood More Tracks was issued earlier this year.

JoeF. likes this.
  23. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I would’ve loved a DVD of the Johnny Cash Show appearance to go with this, but otherwise really looking forward to the release!

Mr. H likes this.
  24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Although I have to add after reading the RS piece again, the "source" does sound rather odd with his comments about "nobody buys records anymore" and "it's not like people are clamoring" for this. Very weird. The Bootleg Series sell pretty well--as well as things like this usually sell--and it seems "the source" is soft-peddling this --and future projects.

Richard--W likes this.
  25. Richard--W

The video counterpart is sorely missing and conspicuous in its absence.

jumpinjulian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.