Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Sony should just give us every take of every song ever recorded by Dylan. Every song where he had to stop because he coughed or had a sneeze attack.

Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series Volumes 16-20: The Complete Coughing & Sneezing Takes

savemenow, IronWaffle, Sean and 3 others like this.
  2. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Would love to see a pic of the packaging.

Only 3 CDs, so I wonder if it will follow the bigger boxes or digipak or jewel case in slipcase?

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

The Witmark Demos are utterly fascinating and listenable and timeless
    and one of the top five Dylan releases of all time.

I bought the CD box, the vinyl box and back-up copies because I play it
    so often.

The Cat 3, highway, Sean and 3 others like this.
  4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

[​IMG]

5. Do you have a link for this please, because all I get on doing a search is the Mp3 download offer.

Many thanks.
    David

6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I agree that the Witmark demos was an excellent and interesting Bootleg Series volume.

The Cat 3, Ellen1014 and Richard--W like this.
  7. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

just my opinion. probably other people would say the 6-disc Basement Tapes is boring but that's my favorite one!

carville, TeddyB and DeeThomaz like this.
  8. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

How could The Basement Tapes be boring? The 6-disc box-set is exemplary.
    It was issued in tandem with a 2-disc cut-down. This approach fulfilled both
    demands of the marketplace and should remain the practice for Dylan and
    Rosen to adhere to.

9. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

That set actually sounds pretty good to me - haha. People prefer different things. I guess I don’t get the appeal of repeated listening to a near teenager’s first tentative attempts at making music any more than you do a middle aged man struggling mid-career to find something that still interests him.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    drift, savemenow and jlf like this.
  10. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

Not the most exciting bootleg series release but no doubt will buy it and play it once or twice. At least it’s cheap :thumbsup: bring on BS.16

11. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

12. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

Looks like card sleeves in a small slipcase. Not dissimilar to a lot of budget releases.

I think the era of the elaborate Rare Cool Stuff Inc. boxes from 2008-2018 is over.

voles, Sean, Yayastone and 2 others like this.
  13. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I'm in for the deluxe, CD + LP sets

Richard--W likes this.
  14. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Contemplating making my first ever full album digital purchase... since every track is included. And since there’s probably only a handful of tracks that I’m VERY interested in.

15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I’m not sure. The Villager, Infidels, and TOOM concepts all seem to call for more expansive collections. Besides, in these days of dwindling sales, isn’t it the die hards like us buying high ticket, high margin boxes that are pumping the last gasps of life into physical media?

16. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

agreed. i'd think the only reason it's not an elaborate box is because it's only 3 discs. Tell Tale Signs was elaborate but not The Witmark Demos and the sets hinted at in the future sound more expansive

17. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

The Witmark Demos were nice to have. The long trailer with the extended interview with Artie Mogull was great to have as well, but those demos were circulating for a long time. I never play them. I've had the Cash sessions for a while to and never really play them either.

I'm most eager for the John Wesley Harding sessions and Western Road. I'll take more sets like these in the future.

PADYBU, DTK, DeeThomaz and 2 others like this.
  18. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Me too, via Bull Moose.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This is really the only Dylan period I never really “got.” I haven’t even picked up the 2CD set yet, although I probably will at some point just to be “complete.”

20. Natural E

Natural E Forum Resident

Am I correct then in concluding that, after this set is released, there will be no available outtake/alternate studio versions of Nashville Skyline Rag and Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You?

The MEZ likes this.
  21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

You are correct. And I suppose it’s not that surprising in the case of an instrumental like “Nashville Skyline Rag” (though one other complete Take was logged) though I find it a bit odd that one of the three other supposedly complete takes of “Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here With You” didn’t make the cut.

22. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Apologies if this has already been posted (didn't see it). Tell Me That It Isn't True (Take 2) lyric video:

23. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

The Cash sessions are weird in that, musically, they're pretty informal and ramshackle, but with the current everything-and-the-kitchen-sink release schedule, it would be a weird omission in the timeline -- that meeting with Cash was a pretty key element of the whole Nashville-Bob story. In a way, it feels "obligatory."

I will enjoy this release a lot, though -- I love Dylan's voice and general approach during this time, aesthetically it pushes quite a bit of less-than-stellar material into a more enjoyable realm for me.

I'm also pretty pleased with how little overlap there is with "Another Self Portrait" -- put these two sets together and you have a box in the ballpark of the 6CD sets.

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That’s terrific. Whoever upthread said it reminded them a bit of Blonde on Blonde was right on the money (I hear a little “Memphis Blues Again” creeping in). Disc 1 is going to be a lot of fun.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  25. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Forum Resident

I'm in. Bring it on. I'm a big fan of the 67-70 Dylan era.

The MEZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.