Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I've got to say regarding the Bootleg Series releases that we've had so far, that I've enjoyed each and everyone of them, overall I'm more than happy with the way in which the Dylan camp have curated the catalogue. Yes there are things I would like to have seen released by now, I'm also realistic enough to know that it's Bob's catalogue and he'll release it however he wants to but at least he is releasing large chunks of it, something many of my other favourite artists haven't done.

Regarding the new release, bring it on, I'll enjoy as much as the previous fourteen volumes.

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I see. Tell us more about yourself, picassoson.
    Which one are you, the near teenager or the middle-aged man?

3. Richard--W

I'm looking forward to it, especially the JWH outtakes.

Lewisboogie, JoeF. and DeeThomaz like this.
  4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have enjoyed each Bootleg Series too. I had to settle for the 6 disc Cutting Edge being poor, broke, busted and strapped but even that version is amazing. It is going to be a sad day when Sony stops releasing them.

The first one that I bought as a new release was Vol 4. I still remember the excitement of getting up and going to Best Buy to pick it up and putting disc one into the Sony Discman that was hooked into the cassette player in the car and playing it on the way home. :D

5. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Reminds me of the old hit, “ I Only Wanna Be With You.”

I can’t t get over Dylan’s singing voice from those days.

jlf, Richard--W and hodgo like this.
  6. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Torn on this because the CD and LP are both at such good prices. I'm really drawn to the LP set, but every single one of my other Bootleg Series releases is on CD. I shouldn't care about this, but this one seems particularly suited to vinyl, given the way it's split up. And the look of that booklet in the larger format... Ugh.

hodgo likes this.
  7. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Just bumping this (again) from page 59. It's incredible, might as well be an unreleased song from JWH, not just an alt take.

I'll ignore that (digital?) glitch around 1:14.

8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Get both. You know you want to. All the cool kids are doing it.

9. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Sometimes, before they are released, I question whether I really want some of the Dylan bootleg series releases. In the end, I always get them, and like some, and love some.

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

11. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I think it would have been nice if this they would have taken the opportunity to mop up some of the stuff left off ASP, including the definitive "Spanish is the Loving Tongue" (B side).

12. hodgo

PADYBU and DeeThomaz like this.
  13. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

hodgo likes this.
  14. hodgo

It's funny because the one I questioned most before release date was ASP, that turned out to be one of my favourites of the entire series, in fact it made me totally reassess the original SP album to the extent I now love it and play it often.

15. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I think they are deliberately leaving off obvious tracks so that they can one day put together a general, all-purpose compilation of one-offs and cast-offs.
    It’ll probably be where the spooky organ version of “ Idiot Wind” will turn up.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  16. Richard--W

I think a lot of people who gave Another Self Portrait a chance came
    away with the same reaction. They began to see the virtue in what Dylan
    was doing, found common ground, and now they like it.

Lewisboogie and hodgo like this.
  17. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

So true. It really isn’t worthy of release. An embarrassment for both of them.

man in the moon and savemenow like this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yes ,this set looks great. I'm happy to have a Nashville Dylan set. Make sense to me, and should be a fun listen. :)

DeeThomaz and musicaner like this.
  19. ianbrown21

ianbrown21 Forum Resident

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but the 3lp picture looks like it will be just in a regular record sleeve. I guess they are doing away with the boxes? Looks like it will be the same packaging as More Blood?

20. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

I was just looking at the ‘expecting rain’ site and someone posted this:

“While it's true that under the EU 50 year "use it or lose it" law the JWH sessions passed into public domain it has, of course, been a moot point as no one has been able to get their hands on copies of the tracks in order to release them. So, can they just copy the JWH tracks from this new release and hive them off into new public domain releases? No, they can't.
    If they had been able to get their hands on raw circulating copies of the tracks they could have done that. But they haven't because they weren't available to them. So why can't they release these pristine new versions of the tracks which Sony are about to make available? Because Sony will have remastered the tracks and remixed them - effectively creating new works which are going to be covered by EU copyright for 70 years starting on the 1st November. Anyone copying these new releases and claiming them to be public domain will be in breach of copyright as they will be thieving the new work which Sony have paid for and undertaken as well as using the underlying performance (which was indeed public domain).”

This is incorrect. A remaster or remix does not constitute ‘new works’ under the directive, so the JWH tracks are indeed public domain, and can be legally released as a 1cd set by an entrepreneurial label.
    The application of extension applies to the “fixations of performances”... “after the relevant event.” The “relevant event” is the “fixation of performances” to tape. Not how they decide to master it for a release.

The low price of the Sony set may take the incentive out of that though.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  21. Richard--W

At least it's a gatefold with what looks like an 8-page booklet tucked
    inside. That's something. The tracks are really short and should fit
    easily onto the LP sides.

By the way, I've always thought Dylan was doing a Johnny Cash
    impression in that suit and demeanor. He was the real Zelig when
    he was young.

SPARTACUS likes this.
  22. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

the source is right hardly anyone buys physical bootlegs anymore. specially of stuff you can buy cheaper officially.

23. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I don't believe that is true either. Otherwise you would have "legal bootlegs" of all the other copyright sets made just one year after they came out. The publishing of BS15 is now the first time these JWH tracks have been released, hence the brand new publication date. The blurb from ER is correct.

24. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

adriatikfan likes this.
  25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It would seem from the Rolling Stone article that "The Source" agrees with you and has resigned himself to the likelihood that the tracks will get pirated soon enough:

"(The European copyrights for the John Wesley Harding sessions have expired since they are being released after the 50-year copyright-protection window closed. That has no impact on the publishing rights, but it is technically legal for anybody to release these seven outtakes on physical sets in Europe. “I’m sure they will appear on grey market collections,” says the source. “But people don’t really buy records anymore, so it doesn’t make much of a difference.”)"

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.