Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moth

Moth fluttering by

This might be the first time The Bootleg Series has ever felt like product. The cover, the songs, the name--it's all cheap, and they know it. If you think a John Wesley Harding BS would be boring, just wait until you trudge through the Dylan-Cash sessions. It's obvious those recordings are the only reason this is being released because, unlike the JWH sessions, it's all already out there. The rest of Travelin' Thru is filled out with scraps that were passed over for Another Self Portrait. The cynical addition of JWH alternates is simply to make this copyright dump seem desirable enough to give them $30. No, thanks.

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That piqued my interest too. Might have to get the vinyl too this time around, as I can’t imagine these notebook pages are very legible in the smaller CD format— if they’re included at all.

IronWaffle and Percy Song like this.
  3. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

how about if i KNOW that a JWH BS wouldn't be boring at all and that the Dylan/Cash sessions will be a trudge but am happy to pay like $25 for the lot of 3-cds of unreleased Dylan and an essay?

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Yep. Aside from the very real copyright deadline, this was the perfect time to release a smaller scale collection with the 14CD RTR box still fresh in our minds. It sort of like how, for me, The Complete Mono Recordings box being released alongside The Witmark Demos helped me appreciate both sets for what they were, instead of pining for less familiar material instead.

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Well, maybe it's not as bad as all that. The seven JWH tracks lift up this collection.

BUT ... somewhere in one of the threads on this forum the curator of the Dylan archive
    in Oklah0ma is quoted about listening to a tape of outtakes of All Along the Watchtower.
    That tape should have been put on this set.

bluesbro likes this.
  6. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

im sure they worked up that dylan cash thing from the master tapes for optimal sound. it will sound different than what we are accustomed to just like the Isle of Wight.
    besides, Dylan yodels.

7. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I think the "Travelin' Thru" text would have fit better if they just spelled it correctly. (Not a complaint, could hardly care less about covers)

IronWaffle likes this.
  8. roombythelake

roombythelake Forum Resident

I'm sure that could be evidence for both the prosecution and the defence, but I for one have always loved the Cash sessions, and I'm excited, as you say, about hearing them slightly expanded and in (I hope) much cleaner sound.

There are two schools of criticism floated by members so far here – one is that the material presented isn't good enough for release, and one that there should be more material presented for release. I certainly don't agree with the former, and as for the latter, I would have really loved the complete JWH sessions, not to mention some other surprises. By and large, though, I'm very excited about this release. It's not making me jump up and down like some announcements have, but I think in the long term it's going to be a cherished favourite.

9. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident

Which songs on this BS set aren't on the bootleg that's circulated for years? I know Wanted Man is one but can't figure out the others. Thanks!

10. Newscot and Lewisboogie like this.
  11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Here’s the press release. It mentions Colin Escott & Rosanne Cash have written the liner notes:

Bob Dylan (Featuring Johnny Cash) - Travelin' Thru, 1967 - 1969: The Bootleg Series Vol. 15 To Be Released By Columbia Records/Legacy Recordings Nov. 1

NEW YORK, Sept. 19, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release Bob Dylan (featuring Johnny Cash) - Travelin' Thru, 1967 - 1969: The Bootleg Series Vol. 15 on Friday, November 1.

The latest chapter in Columbia/Legacy's highly acclaimed Bob Dylan Bootleg Series revisits Dylan's pivotal musical journeys to Nashville, from 1967 to 1969, focusing on previously unavailable recordings made with Johnny Cash and unreleased tracks from the John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline, and Self Portrait sessions.

[​IMG]
    (PRNewsfoto/Legacy Recordings)

Bob Dylan (featuring Johnny Cash) - Travelin' Thru, 1967 - 1969: The Bootleg Series Vol. 15 is available in 3CD and 3LP physical configurations and digital equivalent. Pre-order here: https://BobDylan.lnk.to/travelinthruPR

Disc One of Travelin' Thru, 1967 - 1969: The Bootleg Series Vol. 15 finds Dylan in Columbia's Studio A in Nashville recording alternate versions of compositions written for John Wesley Harding (October 17 and November 6, 1967) and Nashville Skyline (February 13-14, 1969) while introducing a new song "Western Road" (a Nashville Skyline outtake).

Discs Two and Three of Travelin' Thru are centered around Dylan's collaborations with American music icon Johnny Cash including the much sought-after Columbia Studio A sessions and on-stage performances at the Ryman Auditorium (May 1, 1969) for the recording of the premiere episode of The Johnny Cash Show (originally broadcast on ABC-TV on June 7, 1969).

Disc Three closes with tracks recorded on May 17, 1970 with Grammy Award-winning bluegrass banjo legend Earl Scruggs for the PBS television special, "Earl Scruggs: His Family and Friends" (originally aired January 1971).

1967 saw a profound and surprising transformation in Bob Dylan's musical evolution. With contemporary pop culture becoming increasingly baroque, surreal and psychedelic in the wake of Dylan's 1965-66 cutting edge trilogy, Bringing It All Back Home/Highway 61 Revisited/Blonde On Blonde, the artist withdrew from public view following a motorcycle accident in July 1966. He'd recorded Blonde On Blonde with a full-band in Nashville in February 1966 but, when it came time to record its follow-up in the fall of 1967, he opted for a simple trio--Dylan (guitar, vocals, harmonica), Charlie McCoy (bass) and Kenneth Buttrey (drums)--to create a sublime minimal sound.

In his liner notes for Travelin' Thru, Colin Escott writes, "Talking to journalist Matt Damsker about the sound of John Wesley Harding, Dylan said, 'I didn't know how to record the way other people were recording, and I didn't want to… I just didn't think all that production was necessary.' He also went for lyrical economy. 'What I'm trying to do now is not use too many words,' he said. 'There's no line you can stick your finger through. There's no blank filler.'"

Dylan returned to Columbia Studio A in February 1969 to work on Nashville Skyline.

"Bob asked me to be a guest on the album," Johnny Cash said later, "and I went to the studio and they just turned on the recorder for about two hours." Columbia Studio A hosted two Dylan-Cash sessions: February 17 and 18, 1969 with a band that included rock 'n' roll pioneer Carl Perkins playing guitar on six tracks (including his own composition, "Matchbox"). One of the more intriguing sonic discoveries on Travelin' Thru is "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright/Understand Your Man," as two singular singer/songwriters pay mutual compositional and vocal tribute to each other.

The full-day Dylan-Cash duet session included the first known version of "Wanted Man" and the only version of the song ever sung by Dylan. The following week, Cash made it the opening song at his San Quentin concert. The session provides insight into the shared sensibilities of Dylan and Cash through a variety of covers including two Jimmie Rodgers medleys.

When The Johnny Cash Show was scheduled to debut in June 1969, the host offered Bob Dylan a guest slot on the first show. In the days before and after The Johnny Cash Show taping, Dylan was working on the album that emerged more than a year later as Self Portrait. For the May 3 Self Portrait session, guitarist Fred Carter was brought in to augment Dylan's usual Nashville band. The "Folsom Prison Blues" and "Ring of Fire" recorded that day are available for the first time on Travelin' Thru.

Although only one duet with Johnny Cash ("Girl from the North Country") appears on Dylan's original Nashville Skyline album, Cash penned the album's Grammy Award-winning liner notes. A month after Nashville Skyline was released, Dylan made his first live TV appearance in five years on The Johnny Cash Show; that performance is also included here.

Bob Dylan (featuring Johnny Cash) - Travelin' Thru, 1967 - 1969: The Bootleg Series Vol. 15

DISC 1
    October 17, 1967
    Columbia Studio A, Nashville, TN
    John Wesley Harding sessions

01. Drifter's Escape – Take 1 (Alternate Version)
    02. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine – Take 2 (Alternate Version)

November 6, 1967
    John Wesley Harding sessions

03. All Along the Watchtower – Take 3 (Alternate Version)
    04. John Wesley Harding – Take 1 (Alternate Version)
    05. As I Went Out One Morning – Take 1 (Alternate Version)
    06. I Pity the Poor Immigrant – Take 4 (Alternate Version)
    07. I Am a Lonesome Hobo – Take 4 (Alternate Version)

Bob Dylan: vocals, guitar, harmonica
    Charlie McCoy: bass
    Kenneth Buttrey: drums

February 13, 1969
    Nashville Skyline sessions

08. I Threw It All Away – Take 1 (Alternate Version)
    Previously released on The Bootleg Series, Vol. 10: Another Self Portrait
    09. To Be Alone with You – Take 1 (Alternate Version)
    10. Lay Lady Lay – Take 2 (Alternate Version)
    Previously released as a digital download with iTunes pre-orders of Together Through
    Life

11. One More Night – Take 2 (Alternate Version)
    12. Western Road – Take 1 (Outtake)

February 14, 1969
    Nashville Skyline sessions

13. Peggy Day – Take 1 (Alternate Version)
    14. Tell Me That It Isn't True – Take 2 (Alternate Version)
    15. Country Pie – Take 2 (Alternate Version)

Bob Dylan – vocals, guitar, piano, harmonica
    Kelton D. Herston, Norman Blake, Charlie Daniels, Wayne Moss (10 & 12): guitars
    Bob Wilson: piano, organ
    Peter Drake: steel guitar (13-15)

DISC 2
    February 17, 1969
    The Dylan-Cash Sessions

01. I Still Miss Someone – Take 5
    Written by Johnny Cash and Roy Cash, Jr.
    02. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right/Understand Your Man – Rehearsal
    Written by Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash

February 18, 1969
    The Dylan-Cash Sessions

03. One Too Many Mornings – Take 3
    04. Mountain Dew – Take 1
    Written by Bascom Lamar Lunsford and Scott Wiseman
    05. Mountain Dew – Take 2
    Written by Bascom Lamar Lunsford and Scott Wiseman
    06. I Still Miss Someone – Take 2
    Written by Johnny Cash and Roy Cash, Jr.
    07. Careless Love – Take 1
    Traditional, arranged by Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash
    08. Matchbox – Take 1
    Written by Carl Perkins
    09. That's All Right, Mama – Take 1
    Written by Arthur Crudup
    10. Mystery Train/This Train Is Bound for Glory – Take 1
    Mystery Train written by Junior Parker
    This Train Is Bound for Glory written by Woody Guthrie
    11. Big River – Take 1
    Written by Johnny Cash
    12. Girl from the North Country – Rehearsal
    13. Girl from the North Country – Take 1
    14. I Walk the Line – Take 2
    Written by Johnny Cash
    15. Guess Things Happen That Way – Rehearsal
    Written by Jack Clement
    16. Guess Things Happen That Way – Take 3
    Written by Jack Clement
    17. Five Feet High and Rising – Take 1
    Written by Johnny Cash
    18. You Are My Sunshine – Take 1
    Written by Jimmie Davis and Charles Mitchell
    19. Ring of Fire – Take 1
    Written by June Carter and Merle Kilgore

DISC 3
    February 18, 1969
    The Dylan-Cash Sessions

01. Studio Chatter
    02. Wanted Man – Take 1
    03. Amen – Rehearsal
    Written by Jester Hairston
    04. Just a Closer Walk with Thee – Take 1
    Traditional, arranged by Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash
    05. Jimmie Rodgers Medley No. 1 – Take 1
    Based on Blue Yodel No. 1 (T for Texas), The Brakeman's Blues (Yodeling the Blues
    Away), and Blue Yodel No. 5 (It's Raining Here) written by Jimmie Rodgers
    06. Jimmie Rodgers Medley No. 2 – Take 2
    Based on Waiting for a Train, The Brakeman's Blues (Yodeling the Blues Away), and Blue Yodel No. 1 (T For Texas) written by Jimmie Rodgers

Bob Dylan: vocals, guitar
    Johnny Cash: vocals, guitar
    Carl Perkins: guitar (08,10, 02, 04-06)
    Bob Wootton: guitar
    Marshall Grant: bass
    W.S. Holland: drums

May 1, 1969
    Ryman Auditorium, Nashville, TN
    Live on The Johnny Cash Show
    Originally broadcast on ABC-TV, June 7, 1969

07. I Threw It All Away
    included on 2010 DVD The Best of the Johnny Cash TV Show: 1969-1971
    08. Living the Blues
    09. Girl from the North Country
    included on 2010 DVD The Best of the Johnny Cash TV Show: 1969-1971

Johnny Cash: vocals, guitar (09)
    Norman Blake and Charlie Daniels: guitars
    Peter Drake: steel guitar
    Bob Wilson: piano

May 3, 1969
    Self Portrait sessions

10. Ring of Fire (Outtake)
    Written by June Carter and Merle Kilgore
    11. Folsom Prison Blues (Outtake)
    Written by Johnny Cash

Fred F. Carter, Norman Blake: guitars
    Charlie Daniels: guitar (11), bass (10)
    Bob Wilson: piano
    Peter Drake: steel guitar
    Charlie McCoy: harmonica (10), bass (11)
    Delores Edgin and Dottie Dillard: background vocals

May 17, 1970
    The Home of Thomas B. Allen, Carmel, New York
    With Earl Scruggs

12. Earl Scruggs Interview
    13. East Virginia Blues
    Written by A.P. Carter
    Included in 1971 documentary Earl Scruggs: His Family and Friends
    14. To Be Alone with You
    15. Honey, Just Allow Me One More Chance
    Traditional, arranged by Bob Dylan
    16. Nashville Skyline Rag
    Previously released on the album Earl Scruggs Performing with His Family and Friends

Earl Scruggs: banjo
    Randy Scruggs: acoustic guitar
    Gary Scruggs: electric bass

All songs written by Bob Dylan except where noted

All tracks previously unreleased except where noted

Produced by Jeff Rosen and Steve Berkowitz

John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline, and Self Portrait sessions originally produced by Bob Johnston

Liner notes by Colin Escott and Rosanne Cash

12. NewWarden

NewWarden Forum Resident

It seems like a convenient win-win, diehards get the JWH outtakes there had been zero enthusiasm about ever doing anything with, Sony protects the commercially-appealing Dylan/Cash material that would've made for one of the more noteworthy pirated sets, and it fits together thematically in a small set three months after a vast 14-disc release three months ago. Something for everybody.

13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’ve never had the Johnny Cash sessions on bootleg, so count me as someone who is interested to hear them.

The Cat 3, Sean, Myke and 5 others like this.
  14. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I honestly cannot believe that botched photoshopped guitar will be printed on a LP sized box set. Baffling.

15. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

You might feel different if the packaging didn't look like a budget product. JWH session tapes are exciting. The Dylan-Cash sessions are historically interesting. They've just put it in something like that looks like a high school computer graphics project.

16. Yeah I personally think this is a wonderful small set and a great price point. Both CD and LP ordered.

Lewisboogie and Guy Smiley like this.
  17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

[​IMG]

18. gellie

gellie Forum Resident

Seems like a cool set. Already heard some of it. But, it’s a pass for me. First in the BLS. Glad to have Apple Music to stream it.

bluesbro and savemenow like this.
  19. roombythelake

roombythelake Forum Resident

I don't have a free moment to go back and forth between lists, but so far it looks like both a few extra takes of familiar stuff plus a few new songs (plus a bit of new chatter) compared to the boot I've had for years. Can anyone break down more authoritatively what's new in the Cash material?

EDIT:
    On a rough look, I think these are new (to me at least) – more than I thought!

DISC 2
    February 17, 1969
    The Dylan-Cash Sessions

01. I Still Miss Someone – Take 5
    02. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right/Understand Your Man – Rehearsal

February 18, 1969

04. Mountain Dew – Take 1 (one of these is maybe new?)
    05. Mountain Dew – Take 2

10. Mystery Train/This Train Is Bound for Glory – Take 1
    12. Girl from the North Country – Rehearsal
    15. Guess Things Happen That Way – Rehearsal
    17. Five Feet High and Rising – Take 1

DISC 3
    February 18, 1969
    The Dylan-Cash Sessions

01. Studio Chatter
    02. Wanted Man – Take 1
    03. Amen – Rehearsal

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Has anyone compared and can tell me what tracks are left off the LPs from the CDs?
    Thanks

21. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I for one am thrilled that the Dylan/Cash sessions are being released officially. The boot version which has been available for years had a terrible 60 cycle hum on the entire Dylan/Cash sessions. To be taken from the original Columbia master tapes will be a huge step forward.

To me, this is as exciting as the Isle Of Wight concert released in high fidelity instead of the awful quality boots that existed since 1970.

The next item on my wish list is the Nashville Skyline album's quad version (which had the distinction of being re-mixed by the original engineer Neil Wilburn) released in multichannel. They really were stupid that they didn't release the quad mix when the SACD box came out. What a missed opportunity.

22. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I was telling Mrs richierichie that I'd ordered the Bob's new B.S. release on CD & LP, she turned round and said "Yes, Johnny Cash is on it. Isn't it the 15th release in this series?" I was bloody gob-smacked! She's never shown any interest in His Bobness ever. It was only later she told me she'd heard about it on the car radio on her way home from work.

23. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I mean, at least a professional artist probably got paid for that. And it was the 80s.

SteveM likes this.
  24. I must be the only person who likes the SOL cover.

25. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I like it. It is a downright masterpiece compared to Empire Burlesque.

Lewisboogie, TheGoodDoctor and SteveM like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.