American Horror Story (S9): 1984

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Witchy Woman, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

It’s back.

A new season is in the works as Ryan Murphy releases a trailer on Instagram (clip is in the linked article).

The stars of the upcoming season are still largely unannounced, but Emma Roberts and Olympic athlete Gus Kenworthy are definitely in, and veteran villain Evan Peters is definitely out. Also, no Coven witches this season (we’ll miss the surprise Stevie Nicks serenades), so there’s no telling how the upcoming season will connect to the last eight, which have been set as far back as the 1950s and as recently as 2019. Who knows? Maybe the new villain is an AHS: Freak Show or Asylum baby all grown up in 1984.

American Horror Story Drops Terrifying Teaser and Title for Season 9

Ghostworld and D-rock like this.
  2. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Too bad Evan Peters is out. I think he's a really good actor. At his best, he reminds me of a young Malcolm McDowell.

Kyhl likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Glad there's no witches or warlocks, the camp was fun, but there was too much of it in season 8

4. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Looking forward to it but I completely missed last season when the hurricane knocked out our cable for 4 months. Waiting for the last season to show up on Netflix (and Better Call Saul).

5. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Welcome to primetime B*tch!

I have a feeling that this man will make an appearance as a guest “villain” this season:

[​IMG]

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Entertaining first episode.

D-rock likes this.
  7. gothictrade

gothictrade Well-Known Member

I'm going to watch it when I get home tonight! Really excited

D-rock likes this.
  8. MikeInFla

Ahh! I missed it! Didn't know it started yet, hopefully it will repeat.

edit: just checked it re-airs this Sunday night! DVR time!

9. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

The wife loves bad camp and 80's slasher flicks. She enjoyed the first episode.

I'm not going back after the first one. Barely got through the political chapter and bailed on the last season within two episodes. This looks just as sluggish, thinly acted and tacky in gore/camp/sex/religion. The 80's references = boring time filler. This reminded me of nothing that makes a 80's slasher flick enjoyable.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  10. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident

Really disappointed w/ the first episode. And I thought the last season was bad. Seems to be more scream queens than ahs so far...

11. Witchy Woman

Me too! The beginning was pretty gory and I dreaded what the rest of the episode would be like. But the nods to “Friday the 13th” and “Halloween” were pretty cool. I agree the 80s references were a tad overdone but overall it turned out better than I expected.

Ghostworld likes this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You mean it’s more queeny (is that a word?) than “Apocalypse?” I thought it was pushed so far in that season is got cloying. All the vamping kills the fear factor. IMO. I love this show, so I hope it improves n

13. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I bailed on this show after season 5, Hotel. Thing is... even when this show was at its best... it had corny uneven episodes. There's never been a season when I didn't ask myself... isn't there anything better on?

For those that still watch, I hope you love it.

14. MikeInFla

Watched episode 3 of 1984 last night and I gotta say things are getting pretty silly. Maybe they meant for it to be that way. But I will still watch. If this were released in 1984 when I was 13 I would've loved it so I keep that in mind and won't bail out on it.

Angelica Ross does a fine job of playing Rita but I am wondering why they didn't use Adina Porter. The two actresses are very similar.

15. Witchy Woman

It seems like I shouldn’t like this installment, but I do. It’s well-paced and suspenseful, with plenty of twists and surprises. Yet it’s campy enough to not take too seriously. The characters are over the top (in a good way). It’s a little surprising that a supernatural element was incorporated into last night’s episode with the Richard Ramirez character but with AHS anything goes.

16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It's cheesy as hell and very silly but it's well done and I find it an enjoyable watch as a piece of fun.

Carl80 and MikeInFla like this.
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

It's a slasher fest with absurdity bubbling beneath. Not the best season, but fun in its way.

18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I hope so!

19. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

That's what it was, for the first half of the season I think.

It seems to have changed now, with the Richard Ramirez/Jingles road movie starting, and the rest of the "ghosts" stuck at the camp. And it seemed to have changed when Richard (and then Jingles) came back to life.

I have a theory that they'll be able to connect this season to Murder House or Hotel now, but we'll see. They're already connected to Hotel through Ramirez, but maybe we'll see why now (?).

20. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I only saw the entire first season. Good, even if labored.

Wasn't sure if it was still in production.

21. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I must have watched a couple of episodes of the first season in the camp, found it very funny.

22. MikeInFla

Finally watched the latest episode and I think I enjoyed it more than the others that took place mainly in the camp. After the previous episode I actually thought the season had wrapped up because it seemed there was nowhere left to go. One thing about the bands performing (not really a spoiler because I am not going to list them and this thread isn't very active) is that I think most of them were already passed their prime but that might have been the only flaw I noticed in the episode.

23. MikeInFla

Up to the last episode. While enjoyable it wasn't as good as previous seasons. But still looking forward to seeing what happens. One thing I noticed is that by the time 1989 rolled around most of those bands were already outdated. While a lot of the episodes are silly I see them as just good fun.

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've got one episode left on this season, and have really enjoyed it. I was lukewarm the first couple episodes, but it got better. I think Leslie Grossman has been my favorite part of the series. Emma Roberts, who I really like, hasn't been as much fun as I hoped. I much prefer her sarcastic "Scream Queens" style character as opposed to the mostly sweet "final girl" type she's played here. Was fun seeing Lily Rabe show up again.

I was a fan of this series from the start and enjoyed most seasons. Some better than others, but through S5 (Hotel), I liked them all. S6 (Roanoke) was the first bad one. And the two after that were just awful. After three bad seasons in a row, it's nice that the show finally had a good one again. Really like the theme music on this series too.

MikeInFla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.