SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Thanks. It was a struggle.

sunspot42 and George P like this.
  2. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I'm enjoying it and am of the opinion that's it's the best sounding versions of those amazing songs. Meeting Michelle had to be the cherry on top of that sundae! Do we have an "I'm jealous of you" emoji here? ;)

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Steve, I'm sure it was. She was a crush of mine from early on.

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I just scored it recently used via Amazon. Sounds so, so much better than other collections I have, like the Creeque Alley set. Which is wonderful by the way, highly recommended, great song selection, sequencing and interview snippets. Textbook example of how to assemble a collection like that. And they tried to improve things sonically - it's quite good in spots.

But not this good.

5. The Cat 3

The Cat 3 Forum Resident

What do you think is the best sounding version of Bob Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks"?

I just listened to the first CD I purchased, way back when Dylan on CD first came out (Columbia CK 33235 / Disc manufactured in Japan) today and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it sounds.

6. Steve Hoffman

Haven't heard the MoFi recently so I can't say..

The Cat 3 likes this.
  7. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Steve, a few pages back you showed your two LA-2As with a switch between them both to go back forth between dual mono and stereo use. How easy/hard is it to couple and uncouple the two units without having the switch? Is the switch custom, or, is it on the market?

8. Steve Hoffman

Well, the switch was made for me by Kevin Gray. He used the diagram of the 1960s units to do it. There could be one on the market, maybe made by UA.

Can't use the LA2A's as stereo compressors without the switch, wouldn't work at all so I'm sure it's out there somewhere or at least a diagram. It is a simple device..

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

My Question

Steve, has anything in life come close to the experience of kissing Olivia Newton John at her peak in 1980? :cool:

Andy Pandy, g.z. and Steve Hoffman like this.
  10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

"He kissed her what?"

11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Frank Zappa would’ve called it a Burnt Weeny Sandwich;)

progrocker, g.z. and vudicus like this.
  12. Joseph LeVie

Thank you, sir!

What I was asking with my first question though, is, if you only had the stereo link, but, no switch, is it a big hassle to link and unlink the two? If you wanted to go back and forth between stereo and mono with no KG switch.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  13. ajawamnet

ajawamnet Forum Resident

Stereo Balance Adjust (R3)

For stereo operation, two LA-2A units are interconnected in order to achieve the same amount of gain reduction from each of the two units to maintain stereo imaging. In order to accomplish this, terminals 6 from each unit should be connected together. Additionally, their grounds (terminal 7) should be connected together. The interconnecting wire should be less than 2 feet in length and should be shielded. The shield should be used to connect terminals 7 from each of the units together.

To calibrate the units for stereo operation:

• Connect the units together as described previously.
    • Turn the Peak Reduction knob counterclockwise (no compression).
    • Set R3 on each unit to a clockwise position.
    • Set each meter to read Gain Reduction.
    • Adjust the Peak Reduction control on the left channel until approximately 5dB of gain reduction is achieved.
    • Adjust R3 on the unit that shows the greatest amount of gain reduction until the gain reduction indications are equal.
    • When operating, set the Peak Reduction controls to the same setting on both channels.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  14. Joseph LeVie

Thank you, Steve!

15. Joseph LeVie

Oops. I mean ajawamnet.

My question though isn’t how to make them stereo, but, much of a hassle is it to link and then unlink them and link them and unlink them? Is it a real pain, or, fairly easy.

Obviously, with Steve’s switch real easy, but, how bad is it without the switch?

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

According to the details above, it's just a matter of connecting a cable to the 6 and 7 (or 6 and G) terminals on both units:

[​IMG]

Not particularly hard, but probably a pain if you were frequently switching between mono and stereo operation, especially if your units were in a rack.

Joseph LeVie likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

18. Joseph LeVie

19. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

What particularly don't you trust? I've never downloaded hi-rez before, so I'm curious what to watch out for if I do.

20. Steve Hoffman

Well, who is doing the transfer? What tape are they using for the transfer? What gear are they using for the transfer? What signal processing are they using for the transfer?

The engineer is not named, the studio is not named, nothing is named.

Not for me.

toasty, ropiyas, progrocker and 18 others like this.
  21. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Ah, yes. I concur. Although I will say the recent Sony downloads of Mike Nesmith's RCA albums are the best they've ever sounded. Those will be my first hi-rez downloads...eventually.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yeah, but...it's often no better when those things are named.

23. Steve Hoffman

That is true but at least there is someone to bitch about, or a studio.

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

A lot of those recent Sony downloads are suspect.

25. CrankSomeFrank

CrankSomeFrank The eons are closing.

I felt confident enough in the recent Tool release to purchase my first hi-rez, but I would have rather bought a proper CD! Heh.

It sounds great though.

George P likes this.