Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

Yes, I think he's playing this in Dropped C tuning, which he did often during that period. On a Rainy Afternoon and What Kind of Friend is This had that tuning as well. It's funny, I think John Wesley Harding was going to be more psychedelic and jangly, but got stripped in favor for something more timeless. It was 1967 the year of Sgt Peppers, Surrealistic Pillow, etc. The guitars and drums could be right out of the Sonny and Cher stuff that was going on. It was easy to fall into that trend, and I'm glad it was ultimately left behind.

lschwart likes this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Great - thanks.
    That’s unusual, same number of CDs & LPs.

Dayfold and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

That's because the songs are short. Some are really short.

chacha likes this.
  4. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Have to say, even as of a few months ago, I never ever Ever EVER thought we’d see ANY JWH outtakes AT ALL. Never ever EVER. I figured they’d moved on past the 60’s, based on the last 3 archival sets.

So to me, this set is GOLD and also because we are getting “my” Johnny Cash Show three song set, June 1969 broadcast, specially requested by ME. :cool:

So I’m not yet giving up on the Town Hall, Carnegie Hall and “Villager” sets!

@Richard--W :winkgrin:

— David

5. Richard--W

David, I'm confident The Villager will come out eventually.

But I'm concerned content will be limited to songs cherry-picked out of the
    concert tapes. I want to hear complete tapes of uninterrupted performances,
    such as they are, in a BIG box-set suitably elaborate to the occasion. For
    example, they've already cherry-picked the Gaslight Cafe tape on a few
    releases. Let's hear the complete tape(s) now. And so on, for all the home
    and club tapes.

Let there be a single CD or 2-CD of cherry-picked tracks to satisfy the
    lightweights and toe-dippers.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    redsock, Butzi, buymeamercury and 3 others like this.
  6. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

This is why I think The Villager needs to be a part of the Live Recordings series rather than the Bootleg Series.

SteveFff, hodgo, asdf35 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's okay. There are two levels for these bootleg sets, the elaborate boxes, and these three disc sets. It's not a box really, just a multi disc digipac. So, good that we get the material, but it just ain't sexy. :)

8. bem

bem Forum Resident

Agreed. Some Dylan periods need to be curated, but the Villager/ Coffeehouse/ Folksinger Bob needs everything including the kitchen sink approach. It is such a formative time and so important to his later work. I don't know how much has been saved and is in the vaults but the sixties needs to be completed. We only have 1961 to 1964 plus the 1965 live recordings in a format for everyone to enjoy to complete the sixties.

I would be okay with a family or domestic Bob set from 1970 to 1974. It's not an era I know well but a decent six to eight disc set be done for this time frame. If so Team Dylan would have most of their copy

9. Richard--W

Good thinking. I'm all for that.
    Money burns a hole in my pocket for The Villager done right.
    Hold out your hand, Jeff Rosen:

[​IMG]

redsock, hodgo, asdf35 and 1 other person like this.
  10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Exactly. Another 14-36 CD brick with just about everything live up to '66. Or a digital download and a nice photo book!
    Personally, I don't really want the entire 65 Europe tour, and there will certainly be a ton of repetition throughout the box. Nonetheless, they have set the precedent with the Live Recordings series for a comprehensive collection. There probably isn't another good way to monetize these recordings and the market will certainly dry up over time.

redsock and Bink like this.
  11. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

The artwork doesn't really offend me. It has a few things that are not quite right in the text layout but I can live with that. I don't think Dylan is renowned for the album artwork. It is the music that matters.

12. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I was joking. I was saying I would be in for the deluxe if they put out a bootleg series of Dylan's cough/sneeze interrupted takes. I was replying to a quote from another member that was joking around regarding this.

SteveM likes this.
  13. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Looking forward to hearing.......

Bob Johnston “Are we rolling Bob?”

DmitriKaramazov and Fred1970 like this.
  14. Yes, the BS is now in a terrible state of flux. It's not so much organicly expanding as it is lurching from one idea to another and back again to counter external influences with the EU law first and foremost dictating the plan.

The JWH outtakes are in all probability a bit samey and repetitive. They were not going to release them at all, even for the 50th, let alone consider them for BS but it was imperative to 'protect' the Cash material from the EU so here we are again with another desperate dumping measure. They know we've all heard it and filed it at the bottom of our bootlegs for 40 years so they've added something we've not heard as enticement: the JWH tapes.

Note they're admitting that the two preview songs represent the biggest change from any official songs of those included so don't expect many other revelations.

I'm listening to Dylan Cash right now and it is very sloppy but if you're in the right mood it has a pleasantly laid back ramshackle appeal. I can't even explain why I can tolerate Dylan's off key vocals here and yet I find the Sinatra albums unlistenable.

Sean Murdock and bluesbro like this.
  15. Would this include 2 hours of Weberman phone calls and the sound of Mrs Dylan making coffee for Mr Dylan? Bootleg Series Volume 16: The Domestic Years (Having Fun With Dylan At Home) 1970 - 74

16. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Would everything live/unreleased from '60 through '65 fit on 36 CD's? Somehow I expected it to be more than that, but doing some quick mental math I think you might be right, depending on the bits & pieces that don't circulate. Obviously '65 material would make up a huge chunk of it. And what to include of the '56-'60 material? Important historically, but not really listenable. I actually don't have a good handle on what's available from the pre-NY years, as I haven't really sought out much of that stuff for my archive.

17. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Always something you hear when people complain about artwork
    No one is suggesting otherwise
    That photoshopping of the guitar is horrid and this is the greatest songwriter in modern times. Let's make some good art. It's not like they don't have the money/resources

Turbo2k and Graham like this.
  18. Richard--W

The 1965 tour is far removed both geographically and in spirit from the Village.
    It's about 17-18 discs has to be a separate release from The Villager.

And please, no digital download crap. The Villager has to be on hard media. The
    age group who were there and who want to buy The Villager expect hard media.

The Live 1966 Recordings is a better model for The Live 1965 Recordings
    than for The Villager. The Villager will be an historical document and I believe
    a cultural monument. The music is Dylan, but the time and place and topicality
    makes it more than just about Dylan. There is a larger context here. Essayists and
    annotators will put the music into context; the collection needs appreciation, not
    criticism. So an annotated essay pictorial book must accompany the hard media
    release. Of course the book and CD brick could be separate.

redsock, TeddyB, SteveFff and 2 others like this.
  19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

As much as I’d like to hear a (non-existent) full-on Dylan performance of the song, this is a incredible opportunity to hear a Dylan song spontaneously being “written.” I’ve long wondered how much was Dylan & how much was Cash and now we might be getting a line-by-line answer to that question (though I suspect the bare framework of the song was worked out before tapes ran).

I’m also intrigued by “Western Road (Take 1) 4:07”— far longer than I would have guessed back when we only knew it as “Going To Chicago.” I don’t expected it to be much more “developed” than the various originals among the RTR rehearsals but there might be more to it than I’d earlier suspected.

IronWaffle, AGimS, RayS and 1 other person like this.
  20. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

No idea, I was just throwing out the sizes of the boxes they have already released.

21. Richard--W

rednax and Tom Schreck like this.
  22. mojo filter

mojo filter Forum Resident

Well, we know that Johnny Cash was a big Brecht/Weill fan, going back to when he was stationed in Germany. So I wouldn't be surprised if he's the one who threw in the nod to "Mack the Knife":

Sukey Tawdry, Jenny Diver,
    Polly Peachum, Lucy Brown
    Oh, the line forms on the right, dear
    Now that Mackie's back in town

Wanted man by Lucy Watson
    Wanted man by Jeannie Brown
    Wanted man by Nellie Johnson
    Wanted man in this next town

I wonder if he'll do like Bobby Darin and call out Lotte Lenya!

IronWaffle, Percy Song, RayS and 2 others like this.
  23. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

K.

I went back and listened to some of the bob/john sessions.

It's not like they're horrendously bad or nothing. Could have used more rehearsal or run throughs or what have you, but at worst just not tight enough for commercial release at the time. Historically significant given the participants and not at all unlistenable [hoping that they got rid of the refrigerator running in the background].

Any track with Carl Perkins is worth it for that. Just a Closer Walk for John at the end asking "What's one ya know, Bob?" Bob at the end of Blue Yodel #5, after several impressively yodeled choruses, saying "I'm not gonna do it another time" and John saying "OK" and laughing.

Then there's this:
    Johnny Cash & Bob Dylan - Matchbox

I might have to buy this to keep my conscience clear. Possibly digital only. I'll have to see.

24. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I’m not sure if he still works for Dylan, but a fellow music lover, designer, musician, and all around nice guy Geoff Gans did many covers up until Tell-Tale signs.

He also used to do a lot of work for the old Rhino Records I believe. He’s been nominated for 5 Grammy’s for his work, which has a very vintage record cover aesthetic.

Geoff Gans Design | Rare Cool Stuff Unltd.

Grammy nominations:

Geoff Gans

hodgo likes this.
  25. Mrsharko

Mrsharko Forum Resident

JWH is in my top 5 Dylan, but I would LOVe to hear a jangly electric version of the album as a direct follow up to BoB!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.