Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  2. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

There are no "song numbers" on the backs of the digipacs because there are no songs listed. Most of the artists perform several songs on these discs.

It's not about convenience. Look in the hardcover book!:D

3. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I’m curious if customs tears these boxes open to see what’s inside.

4. darling

darling Senior Member

I'm sure I've posted something alon these lines before in this thread and the Louisiana Hayride Box thread:

When this has happened to me - box sets from Amazon uk or de have arrived damaged - with the packaging box broken and the box-set-box flawed. I have told Amazon this has happened - I send a message truthfully explaining the problem and politely asking just to ship the damaged part back for an exchange because it would be expensive to ship the whole thing back overseas. Every time they either refunded my money (without having to return the part) or sent another box without me having to send back the damaged item.

John D. likes this.
  5. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Documentary about Maybelle Carters guitar picking:

6. Svein Arne

RSteven, rod and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  7. Anyone care to sell me on Sanford Clark's The Fool from Bear? Vaguely interested in picking it up and wondering if the CD is worth it. Primarily interested because Lee Hazlewood was Clark's producer on some songs.

Sanford Clark CD: The Fool - Bear Family Records

8. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've thought about that one too but haven't pulled the trigger. Clark sounded like Ricky Nelson if Ricky been born five or ten years earlier and operated through more of a country-pop lens. The material he was given wasn't totally consistent, but there are some real winners to be had. You can tell this one came from Hazlewood:

His most Nelson-esque tune, complete with Al Casey providing sharp licks much like James Burton:

Sanford Clark - Usta Be My Baby

You can probably pass on Shades, a rather inconsistent collection of later efforts.

Sanford Clark CD: Shades - Bear Family Records

9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

What a great idea!

Svein Arne and Rick Bartlett like this.
  10. baptistbusman

I love it. It’s turned into one of my go-to CDs to pull out when nothing else seems interesting. He was way more than a one hit wonder. The other Bear cd “Shades” isn’t as bad as some of the reviewers have said.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  11. baptistbusman

Bakersfield has arrived. I'm glad Amazon.uk canceled my order and I was able to order from Amazon.de. They probably ship from the same place, but I feel good about things since the packaged arrived today.

[​IMG]
    Box had zero damage, and lurking inside was the Bakersfield Box Set all nice and protected in the Bear Family protective cardboard box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to those that ruined the Haggard unreleased tracks from being included. I've noticed on Facebook how one of Merle's former staff posted a series of videos he recorded with him and Merle and the Haggard clan is going nuts wanting it taken down.....I'm also guessing why all that I've heard about Merle recording a ton of stuff before he died hasn't seen the light of day. I'm not one to speculate, but I know Merle was a big Bear Family supporter and I'm sure he wouldn't be happy that his music was held back.

12. Svein Arne

The Killer likes this.
  13. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The status of Merle's unreleased recordings is very strange, if not frustrating. I could be wrong, but the management of Merle's legacy seems very uninspired and stagnant. Posting memories of Merle on his official Facebook is likely to only reach a small number of obsessive fans and isn't enough to truly preserve his legacy. Johnny Cash perished in 2003 and by 2005, we saw numerous CD releases to coincide with the "Walk The Line" film. What would Merle's estate gain from sitting on these recordings for so many years after his passing?

When it comes to Buck Owens, we've been very fortunate because of Jim Shaw, a longtime sound engineer and musician in the Buckaroos and business manager for Buck. Working as an executive for Buck Owens Production Co., Shaw was also executive producer for the 1992 Rhino boxed set entitled "The Buck Owens Collection: 1959-1990." Many fans will also recall Shaw's work on the "Buck Em" series released by Omnivore.

14. Rick Bartlett

Right on Mel.
    So do we know what exactly is the issue of Merle and releasing unreleased recordings?
    Being 2019, it seems like all we are doing is going backwards in terms of an artists release in vintage recordings....
    I can understand for a new and modern artist, but when these are old and dated recordings, it really bothers me.
    Cue.....Patsy Cline?
    It seems like we're getting further and further away from the source material and access to it to the music we love.....
    :cry:

edit: Isn't that what an artist wants? More speculation, more sales, more promotion????
    Geez! Apparently Not.

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  15. Svein Arne

16. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

This is EXACTLY how mine arrived today. Outer box totally destroyed, inner product box broken corner. They offered me a 20 Euro refund.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  17. Rick Bartlett

A shoutout for this bad boy! I really REALLY love this collection and it's book.
    Sonic Bliss! With the Mono and Stereo mixes too!
    I have a brother named David, so who do you think I was named after?
    :rolleyes:
    This guy has always been a part of my life.
    Ricky Nelson.
    [​IMG]

18. GodBlessTinyTim

Hope you didn't accept, that kind of damage is worth more than 20 Euros.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  19. EddieMann

No, I took it. The top cover of the box has one broken corner. Very much similar but about half as bad as the picture Hotshotskings posted above. I don't want to have to send this back to Germany and wait for another box. Life's too short to be without great music. :agree:

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Not that anyone else would do this, but I could get rich if someone paid me 20 Euros to break a corner on every one of my Bear Family boxes.

I'm pretty bad at get rich quick schemes, so I would need the money upfront. After that, I just might skip town and take my undamaged boxes with me.

21. EddieMann

Believe me, the thought did cross my mind lol.

22. Years ago, I ordered the Roy Orbison box from Amazon. When it arrived with split seams, they gave me 20% back on the purchase. I've heard they are far less charitable these days with situations like damaged product.

23. baptistbusman

found a good deal on Amazon.com for the Carl Story box. The addiction continues.......

By the way, there sure are some psycho's on that Ken Burns thread....hope they stay over there and don't try to get our Bear Family sets.....

24. GodBlessTinyTim

Looking to pick up Johnnie & Jack's box next. Even before the vocals kick in, you can always tell a J&J song from either the maracas playing rhumba rhythm or Shot Jackson's distinctive ultra-twangy dobro fills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrWTmobUijo

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Is it out of print now? I am guessing that many BF boxes are now out of print.