Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

My understanding is that the metalwork is the property of Music Matters. They have no affiliation with the Blue Note 80 series, so it doesn't make sense that Blue Note would even have access to the stampers. From the Blue Note end, it's cheaper to have Cohearant make you new metalwork because you don't have to pay to license the master tapes from yourself; to buy the metal from MMJ would have to be at a high enough price to cover their licensing costs plus whatever the value of the lost opportunity to press more might be. Finally, if Kevin Gray has learned anything new in the process of mastering all of those 33s from the original Blue Note masters, getting new lacquers cut guarantees a consistent sound and the state of the art, whatever that might be.

FashionBoy, Crazysteve and nosliw like this.
  2. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

That would be very weird if Don actually asked Ron for the metal parts :) like dude, you own the tapes, just cut new lacquers yourself

musictoad likes this.
  3. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

4. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

or...Don, dude, I wanted to do more releases and you made me reissue the same old stuff on 33 instead. Then you let Joe do what I wanted in the first place. Go cut new lacquers yourself, dude!

5. Josquin des Prez

I can't speak to the Donald Byrd since that direction of his is not my cup of tea, but that's a very solid lineup otherwise. Enjoy (incl the Byrd)!

magnet likes this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got to pick it up yesterday (ORG version) cost was $27, which seems to be in line. The jacket is pretty much the same quality of the BN 80th's, maybe a tad better, but it comes in a lined inner sleeve. I thought Grundman was the only one involved with the mastering, but Chris Bellman's initials are in the deadwax as well. The sound quality is excellent, was not expecting it to sound this good! Easily on par with the best sounding Tone Poet's and BN 80th's, and I mean nothing but the utmost respect to those two lines. I wonder how that 4 LP RCA 45 RPM one sided version sounds? Will never find out because I am more than happy with the version I got and I am not going to spend the kind of $$$ it is going for. Wonder if a fellow member here has it...

"Greenmonster2420" I would highly advise you eye it no longer and treat yourself to some awesome sounding Sonny! Jim Hall just kills on this record!

And while I will never post on the Tone Poet thread about this title again, but on Wednesday and again last night I cranked up "Black Fire". For some reason when I listened to it on Wednesday, I played side 2 first, then side 1. I have no idea what made me do this, just no clue at all. And then last night listened from start to finish. This is such an amazing album and I could not be any happier with the sound, almost seems like it's sounding even better the more I spin it, great stuff!

But not to ignore the topic at hand, I have Una Mas and Introducing on tap for later this afternoon. Two excellent choices that I have chosen for my listening pleasure, at least so I say...ha!

Listening to some good Jazz last evening helped ease my nerves/stress while watching the Cardinals/Cubs game. I'm from St. Louis originally (home of Grant Green, thank you) and a big baseball fan. The tension is too intense, but oh how I love it!

7. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Just a tip, scotti. Whenever you want to call out or reference a user, write his/her name after @ and wait for the drop-down menu to show up. Then click/touch the username. That person will receive a notification that him/her was mentioned. That way, you make sure the user sees it every time.

Like this: @scotti

8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Words of wisdom! Thank you sir!

dastinger likes this.
  9. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I don’t have any jazz friends so I go along my own way. Quite often I mix it up and throw on side 2 first of whatever I’m listening to, unless it clearly doesnt make sense. I figured it may be taboo in some circles to do such a thing. Way to enjoy it your way @scotti

scotti likes this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

I try to give sides equal play, so when I sleeve a record after playing it I flip it over. Then I know the next time I pull it out it's oriented to the side I should play next...or not, I might ignore it and play what I want. Unless it's classical music. I prefer to play complete works in order; e.g. I won't start the second side of a works that begins on the first, ...unless I feel like it. ;)

11. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

You can pick up the 33s from ORG Music pretty cheap and the quality is great. The Rollins is just such as stellar recording, the performances are amazing. So are the Columbia Monks they put out on 33. I have some Chet Baker Lps, Freddie Hubbard, and Jim Hall’s Concierto, actually I have several of their 33 rpm Jazz reissues. All are good quality. These 33s are not to be confused with Original Recordings Group’s .ORG 45s. Two different companies. The 45 rpm reissuer is defunct now I think.

googlymoogly, nosliw and scotti like this.
  12. AudioTimes

AudioTimes Forum Resident

ORG (Original Recordings Group) is not defunct... they released Coltrane Plays The Blues at 45rpm not long ago in 2018, and this year I've seen some classical music 45rpm already released and other about to be released by them in the next couple of months.

"ORG" and "ORG Music" are indeed different labels.

googlymoogly, nosliw and bluemooze like this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! Another poor attempt at humor from me. Think of the album mentioned (Black Fire), then think about why I listened to side 2 first...

14. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

In honor of the BN80 release I listened to my MMJ45 of Indestructible. What a great LP. I love when Curtis Fuller is part of the band, similar to liking Pepper Adams' additions.

Anyone who doesn't have the MMJ should buy this release.

15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I am sure it sounds incredible, but at $84.95 (shipping) I think I'm doing just fine with my $22 BN 80th version...Oh how I wish I was there at the launch of the MMJ's!

16. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Maybe my comment was not clear. I wasn’t suggesting people buy the MMJ. I was suggesting they buy the BN80.

WatchMaker and scotti like this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Now that I look back at it, that makes more sense, I think it's just me being envious of all of you that get in on the MMJ's at the start. And I mean that in a very good way. Sorry I misunderstood at first. Your suggestion should be heard loud, for those who don't own a copy of this fantastic record!

Will be playing my BN 80th of "Indestructible" today before the big game tonight. We have one heck of a party going on in Athens today and all over Georgia as well!

Greenmonster2420 and dminches like this.
  18. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Holy smokes, that is a big game! Good luck against the Irish. You definitely have the right record on cue for pre-game. Hopefully, post-game you'll be spinning Doin' Allright! :cool:

Greenmonster2420 and scotti like this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I like the way you "Think"! Thanks much!

Greenmonster2420 and timzigs like this.
  20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

@timzigs I have "Doin' Allright" pulled out now and ready to play after my Bulldogs take care of business later and great suggestion by the way!

And I just noticed we have another cool release coming from Speakers Corner, "Mingus at Antibes" 2 LP set AAA in October. Really looking forward to this because Eric Dolphy is on it, one of my favorites! Interesting as this recording is without piano except for Bud Powell on I'll Remember April, I am sure this will run around $60+...got's to have though, great stuff!

IanL, Anselmo, Xulio and 6 others like this.
  21. Wow sounds like a great one! Added to my “To Buy” list. Thanks scotti!

scotti likes this.
  22. Josquin des Prez

Yeah, I'm all over that Mingus. I get just about anything of his in reissue. And the Dolphy sessions never disappoint.

scotti likes this.
  23. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

Interesting you are correct. I wonder if elusive disc purchased the name/label?

24. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

25. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Wow — finally listened to my release day copy of Egyptian Nights. It absolutely smokes — maybe my favorite of the series (tough to beat the Glasper but I think Byrd wins out).

I’m a purist and love the BN classics, but I think some of the less traditional stuff has been where the BN80 has really shined.

GentleSenator, scotti, Smith and 4 others like this.