Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Couple of things lately: Michael Prime-- Ritual for Jean Tinguely--sort of noise, acoustic-electro surrealism.

Red Sky Lullaby’s Very Own Special Day--kind of a chill electronics, glitch, synth thing.

Lastly, a couple of sets by Cool Spring's Live in Brooklyn. Sort of jazzy impovs with electronics. The 2018 sort of reminds me of the Dead's Dark Star somewhat or something spacey like that.

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

5. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Mind blowing lp by Bridget Hayden

[​IMG]

octophone likes this.
  7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

8. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Disc 2 from Tyshawn Sorey’s “Pillars”

I listened to this disc a month or so ago.

Then this past weekend I listened to disc 1. Now today all of disc 2. For those who don’t know each is 75 to 79 minutes long with no breaks. Second listen to second disc reveled more stuff. Brilliant sounding recording. Love that they have 3 double basses and sometimes they all play at once.

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Loren Connors and Steve Dalachinsky(RIP...) from this past March.

medium Rob and Dahabenzapple like this.
  10. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

David Toop - Screen Ceremonies (1995).

[​IMG]

mr.datsun, Vaughan and 93curr like this.
  11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Brand new and fantastic!

[​IMG]

12. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

I finally listened to 'Stadium' by Eli Keszler. Overall it's a stunning piece of work.

13. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

That is indeed a beautiful record. Only knowing her from Vibracathedral Orchestra, I didn't know quite what to expect and was delighted.

14. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

during the last several weeks:

Eva-Maria Houben - ensemble works (edition wandelweiser)
    Shira Legmann & Michael Pisaro - Barricades (elsewhere)
    Kevin Drumm - Fall (self-released / Bandcamp)
    radu malfatti - düsseldorf vielfaches (b-boim)
    The Set Ensemble - stopcock (consumer waste)

does Nels Cline spell his first name "Nils" ?

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I recently nought this:

[​IMG]

Last night I played the first disc (of 3):

[​IMG]

This is a CD of 77 minutes of early tape works. As such they sound like.... early tape pieces. What struck me the most was how close to "noise" he was running at the time. We think of Merzbow and others as being fairly modern purveyors of the noise genre, but the truth is pockets of people have been dabbling in it for some time.

Not that the music is all noise. If you're into early tape works in general, then this is great. If not, then it won't convince you.

For those thinking of buying this - the box contains 3 CD's. However, it's worth noting it's essentially a repackaging of previous releases, with nothing new added. Each of the 3 CD's - all digipacs - are simply placed into a sturdy box. There are no additional booklets. You do get a card inside, with have been initialed by Corner himself, but that's the only unique item. Truth be told, with the price of the box going up slightly, you can buy the discs for a little cheaper individually now.

93curr and mr.datsun like this.
  16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I have one of the earlier CDs of the Judson years. Exploratory works from a Fluxus mind, which I think separates it from whatever drives Merzbow.

A Philip Corner I really like is Coldwater Basin which comes as two separate LPs - Coldwater Basin and Coldwater Basin No. 2. Both have exactly the same cover artwork except for a red '2' stamped on the bottom right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Vaughan likes this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Thanks for that. I'll see if there is a CD out there.

mr.datsun likes this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Be warned. It's what it says it is in the title. A recording of a cold-water basin.

Vaughan likes this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

He must have had a thing about water basin's. The opening track on the CD I mentioned above is "Lucinda's Pastime", which is "Kitchen sink at Sullivan Street Apartment". It runs a little under 14 minutes. :D

mr.datsun likes this.
  20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Bill Nace guitar/Susan Alcorn pedal steel/Chris Corsano, drums-Live At #6 vinyl limited edition of 200. I can't get enough of all 3 of them. Alcorn is part of another recent favorite lp of mine with Ken Vandermark and Joe McPhee "Invitation To A Dream", also highly recommended. Nace's pairing with Kim Gordon in Body/Head is well known of course but I prefer him doing this kind of stuff. And Corsano can do no wrong AFAIC.

[​IMG]

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

23. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

[​IMG]

Morton Feldman Piano

As an owner of John Tilbury's "All Piano" and general all-round Feldman fan, I had to have this. The playing here is magnificent.

Starwanderer, Vaughan, 93curr and 2 others like this.
  24. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I'm at Cafe Oto on Wednesday to see Apartment House and would expect that the Feldman box set is around for me to snap up.

I picked this up last night - Eastman is a name I recognise but knew nothing much about until now. One play so far but it sounds amazing.

[​IMG]

Mr. H, 93curr, Starwanderer and 3 others like this.
  25. deege3000

deege3000 Forum Resident

Now reissued. Breathtaking.

JMAC and jay.dee like this.