2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

Yes, I stand corrected

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The single version of PPM sounds less compressed than the album version. Same mix though.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Actually I think it has. There was an exclusive Japanese monaural LP compilation release titled Beatles No. 5 that had the dry version (I have the 1976 reissue of it), and there is a more recent CD box set (2014) of several Japanese LPs that were released, that includes this compilation album. So, I would assume that version is on there as part of the digitized Beatles No. 5, though I haven't got a copy to actually verify it by listening.

The Beatles - Beatles No. 5

The Beatles - Meet The Beatles! (Japan Box)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Colinjpush likes this.
  4. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

I’d really like to see that happen. Especially if a faithful replica of the Let It Be box set was included.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    jamiesjamies likes this.
  5. slane

slane Forum Resident

Interesting, if true. I don't have the Japan CD box, but I doubt the 1962 mix is on there. Anyone who can confirm?

Dinstun and Colinjpush like this.
  6. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I have the Japanese box. I have just compared Ask Me Why with the CD single, and to me it sounds like the same mix (very different mastering though).

Colinjpush and slane like this.
  7. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

I'm thinking there will be an official announcement sometime next week (wishful thinking)

beatleroadie and jamiesjamies like this.
  8. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

It seems like mid Nov was the speculation on the release date so Fri Oct 4 would be six weeks prior to Fri Nov 15.

recordromantic and sws2000 like this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’d have to pull it out to confirm but my recollection is the grading (initials excepted) was still borderline NM- but probably fell on the seller’s side of that border...(if you know what I mean).

Tommyboy likes this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Off-center pressing here...with an increasing amount of non-fill.

spindly and mne563 like this.
  11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I sure do! It tends to be my experience most of the time with sellers.

marcb likes this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

My experience is, of course, anecdotal. I can’t imagine he’s gotten his reputation by repeating it often.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The Goldmine explicitly includes writing on the label as a disqualifier for a NM grade. The Record Collector system is more vague and doesn’t explicitly mention the label.

If one is going to use the Goldmine grades as a selling point, there is every reason to expect they will also follow the guidelines.

soundQman likes this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This.

It’s not really “drier” per se. The relative lack of compression just keeps the fine details of the reverb deeper in the mix on the 45.

Jimmy Cooper and Tommyboy like this.
  15. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Just gave my Japanese "Beatles No.5" (early 70's Apple re-issue)LP a spin and it does not have the dry version of "Ask Me Why"...I also gave a listen to the
    Japanese CD box set "Meet The Beatles" that includes that exclusive Japanese compilation "No.5" and that also
    does not include the dry version.
    When I get a chance I'm going to check my Japanese 45 and see what version is on that pressing....I know the only pressing I have of those dry mixes
    is my Parlophone re-issue 45.

Dinstun, PhoffiFozz, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

They may have substituted the 2009 masterings (like they did with the American album reissues on CD), rather than use the original Japanese compilation copy tapes from 1965. But maybe not. It may have been false information I read concerning the version on that LP to begin with.

Colinjpush likes this.
  17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

If that is the case, then maybe the Hor Zu German pressing of the Please Please Me album has it, since there is less compression on the first German version of the LP. That special version has been well-documented in this forum.

18. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I have it and it is not the same. To me, it sounds like the same mix as the mono PPM album CD.

slane likes this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The 45 is mono. We’re talking mono here.

20. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

Yes, they have, 2009 all the way. But they used the 1965 stereo mix for Help!, not the 1987 remix.

21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I realized that. So I wondered whether there was anything unique soundwise to that Japanese boxset. It looks like the answer is no.

Colinjpush likes this.
  22. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

You are correct, it is a no. They're just essentially three compilations of the regular 2009 mono remasters (Meet The Beatles!, The Beatles' Second Album, and a personal favorite, Beatles No. 5, all unique tracklistings) and reissues of the 2009 stereo A Hard Day's Night and the 1965 stereo mix of Help!, available for the first time on its own and not as a bonus with the mono version as tracks 15-28.

The packaging in the Japan set is great. Wish I could read the chunky booklet in it though.

Always quite dug the back art for Beatles No. 5 myself. Always thought it'd look really cool framed and hung up somewhere. I have one of those 70s reissues of it with the record in pristine almost mint condition but the sleeve and obi are pretty beat up. Might wanna find a good copy just to frame and hang. It's actually one of the most often spun Beatles records of mine. I just think it's a really good flowing album of assorted tracks. Same reason why I like looking for other compilations and alternate album tracklistings from other countries too.

soundQman and Shawn like this.
  23. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

The "dry" version of AMW is my favorite:

I think they were referring to the song PPM?

supermd likes this.
  24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

They may wait a bit longer so as not to step on AR50's toes at all. They will probably want AR50 products to be the only new Beatles product people are buying/ordering for a couple weeks.

Maybe a last week of Oct announcement and a Black Friday release in late Nov? Hoping they drop a few standalone singles for RSD Black Friday too. Something/Come Together would make sense to tie in with AR50...but Free As a Bird/Real Love would be fun, too, because that's a unique and new pairing.

sws2000 likes this.
  25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Oh yeah, this version definitely sounds like a different mix than the mono version on the debut LP. This can’t be attributed simply to less compression. Way less or no reverb used. The vocals and instruments sound much clearer and drier.

supermd and letmerollit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.