Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Any chance this thread can serve double duty as a support group for those of us still sore about the AP Contemporary series getting cancelled?

(kidding of course..but the only thing that could compete with my BN money right now would be a AAA DuNann series..)

Fractured, Crazysteve, DeRosa and 4 others like this.
  2. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I played the BN80 release of Art Blakey Indestructible today, killer record and a nice sounding pressing. Lee Morgan steals the show with 4 or 5 sensational solos.

A monumental date too, Shorter's last recording with the Messengers before joining Miles.

3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I was happy, now I am sad, thanks for reminding me :(

4. Budgetphile

Budgetphile Forum Resident

Oh boy, I was unaware of this and now I am heartbroken. Some AAA Shelly Manne would have been a real treat.

5. flatsix-

flatsix- Low End Theorist

Got my Una Mas and Indestructible today. Only had time to listen to Una Mas so far but the SQ is up there with a Tone Poet for me. Great album and really starting to get into Kenny Dorham. Love Whistle Stop which was my first of his and Afro Cuban is going to be in the next few records I buy outside of BN80/TP releases.

Madlove, Dmann201, scotti and 3 others like this.
  6. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

You should try Ethiopian Knights, it's a great one too. :D

usethefourth, Tuck1977 and flatsix- like this.
  7. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

:hide:

Kimiimacman, flatsix- and Mugrug12 like this.
  8. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Yeah, I am among the deeply disappointed. At least I have a handful of excellent sounding pre-OJC Contemporary pressings, including both Sonny Rollins and some Ornette, among other things.

9. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Same here. I’ve also been fortunate to pick up a decent number of the late 70’s King pressings at very reasonable prices. They are fantastic.

10. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

Una Mas and Indestructible sq is remarkable.

Wishing for 81 82 83 84 blue note releases.

11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Picked up the Donald Byrd Egyptian knights from the local for $22! This one sounds great! With the heavy bass and vibes floating on top it’s definitely a groovy one. I think I still prefer fancy free musically but I can understand why Donald wanted to go in this direction. Kevin did a greasy job with the Sonics, the cymbal crashes have a beautiful shimmer

scotti likes this.
  12. Josquin des Prez

I've now tried to listen to this several times on Qobuz. I just can't wrap my head around it.It's really not my cup of tea. There was a time when I could boogie with this kind of music, but that's long gone I'm afraid. Ditto for some of the other 70's BN80 releases recently (i.e.
    Reuben Wilson and Bobbi Humphrey), although I kinda likes some things on the Wilson but not enough to sacrifice my funds from buying something else.

I am looking forward to the Jutta Hipp in October (I have the flawed Classic release) and all the November releases.

13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I hear you for sure! I truly am not into that style a lot, I streamed the Wilson and Humphrey and was like no. For whatever reason I dig the Byrd funk, who knows...

I’ve got the Jutta Hipp on preorder, what a cool cut.

14. Yeah it’s really a cool fun record. It’s been in heavy rotation in my house

scotti likes this.
  15. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I have the Jutta Hipp Classic too -- what's flawed about it?

16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

So being from St. Louis I had been having an incredible time watching my Cards take the first 3 of 4 games from the Cubs in the ever so friendly confines of Wrigley Field. So as we looked to go for the 4 game sweep yesterday I was watching the pregame and trying to decide what to listen to after we won. The life had already been sucked out of their fans, I was like, why not another come from behind win in the 9th I thought to myself.

Then, Tim McCarver who was co/announcing the games, shouts out Una Mas, Una Mas baby! I was like, awesome suggestion Tim, I like the way you think! And as faith would have it, we did indeed come from behind in the 9th and completed the 4 game sweep, and Kenny Dorham and the gang delivered some sweet sounds for all to enjoy! What a weekend!

17. Josquin des Prez

The tonal balance is too bright and the piano/bass are overly subdued in places. It's not a great mix. I look forward to hearing what KG@CA does with it.

But,...I haven't listened to it in a while, and my system has gone through a lot of changes since, so I'll play it later and see if I still have the same opinion about it.

18. Josquin des Prez

You are way more a Cards fan than I am. I haven't watched a game all year. I used to be a big fan, but I got pretty turned off by all the doping and ended up never picking up the interest for it again. Now I don't carry a good enough DirecTV package to get most of the games anyway, so even if I were interested I don't have access to them to watch.

19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! I can respect that, I got pretty bummed from it and can't stand what McGuire did as an example, but I'm still a fan a get the MLB baseball package for only $60 per season, so not bad. Hope you are a Blues fan...

Grant's First Stand is on tap for lunch, had to go back on topic before I'm tossed out of the ballpark.

20. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

My guess is that the metalwork is unusable, getting around 500-1000 records/stamper, and I believe that someone said 6 stampers from a mother, they probably have run out of metalwork to press with their stampers before having to strike another father. And the tapes are returned to Universal after they get their one good lacquer made.

nosliw likes this.
  21. StevenTounsand

StevenTounsand Waxidermy Refugee

As a fellow ex-St. Louisan and Grant Green fan, I’d like to say you’re not too far off topic seeing as Grant was from St Louis!

scotti likes this.
  22. Josquin des Prez

I'm a little bit of a blues fan. Muddy Water's Folk Singer is a favorite. About all the TV I watch anymore is bicycle racing, Formula 1 (although that's gotten more boring in the past years and I barely pay attention now), and some science programming. I'm trying to get my wife into more AppleTV, etc so I can cancel DirecTV entirely, but she likes things the way they are.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Nicely said and I am not shy about saying Mr. Green is from St. Louis. An hey, word on the Tone Poet thread says we are getting the incredible "Nigeria" next year, and that one is very special!

StevenTounsand likes this.
  24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Very funny! I'm with you on TV. All I watch is some sports (bu not a nut about it, more about my music) and some movies. I never watch the news or current programming. I have no clue what goes on in the world of politics and have no desire to.

Would rather spend my time listening to all of this great Jazz that keeps coming out.

johnnyb1964 likes this.
  25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man