Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Not that I recall seeing but maybe I missed it.

The Rolling Stone article (which might be the only one not derived from the press release) mentions AATW, but only to suggest we probably shouldn’t expect a radically different arrangement:

“There are just seven John Wesley Harding outtakes in this new collection. “There just doesn’t seem to be many alternate versions of the songs,” says the source. “The ones we have are often very similar to each other. We had to include ‘All Along the Watchtower,’ but it’s not like ‘All Along the Watchtower’ cha-cha or anything. But ‘I Pity the Poor Immigrant’ is great and has a completely different melody. I don’t think anything had more than three complete takes.”

I suspect any references to the spliced version are from fans consulting Krogsgaard’s listing.

But now I really want to hear a “All Along The Watchtower” cha-cha.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Well, if "More Blood More Tracks" was any indication, undoing splices is not an option for Team Dylan. Which leads me to think we'll get the unused complete take on the box.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm more focused on this set, than I am Abbey Road !
    Listening to Self Portrait via Spotify, I own no physical copy.
    DVD # 1 of The Johnny Cash Show loaded in the Oppo, waiting to be cued up.
    Side 2 of my 2 eye of Nashville Skyline on the turntable upstairs, as I played side 1 earlier.
    Plans to pull the SH-recommended CD of JWH too.
    And of course, I just preordered the CD set from Amazon.

4. Stanley1970

Stanley1970 Well-Known Member

I thought you didn’t order from Amazon?

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  5. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

Could that also be another reason for not including more John Wesley Harding outtakes - they didn't want to give the public domain labels too much to be able to sell themselves?

He may have been trying to avoid admitting they screwed up by not protecting those outtakes. In the Rolling Stone article, after saying “People don’t really buy records anymore", at the end of the article he says: “We have to also see how long people keep buying these things,” says the source. “We’ll see what happens. Right now, there’s a certain amount of physical that still gets sold, so we’d like to keep doing them.”

So he knows people still "buy records" - or CDs -- or there'd be no more Bootleg Series.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  6. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

If it didn't happen on the '78 tour, it probably ain't happening....

7. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Judas!

Myke likes this.
  8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

$1.83 is a $1.83. :laugh:

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  9. Jack

Jack Senior Member

“I don’t believe you. You’re a liar! “

Electric Sydney likes this.
  10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I hope amazon cares about shipping it securely as much as Bull Moose does... $1.83 is a small price to pay for good customer service. But I guess the almighty dollar rules over reason.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah....I wish van morrison had someone pushing out releases like this "veedon fleece the complete takes' or lou reed whose archives languish at the nypl…..

DeeThomaz, Syscrusher and Snaphappy like this.
  12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

im in. im sure (even) Bob has squirreled away some of early shows we don't know about.....

HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.
  13. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Colour Me Grumpy!

I quite agree with this! Silly tho’ it is in a way what you said resonates with me. I’m 66 now. Back as a 17/18 yr old spending hours (literally) in my record store of choice (Oz Records in Newcastle) flicking through the lp’s from A-Z it was always the covets that made me stop to pick the cover out to then flip over to read the blurb on the back. Highway 61 Revisited just jumped out at you..it said “what’s in here is cool, great and it means something! Check me out!” So I did! For your “it’s a Beautiful Day” I play my “Happy Trails - QuickSilver Messenger Service” card

CDs....just can not, do not have that effect.

But...generally Bobs Bootleg Series/Box Sets do have an impact. Although...I don’t think I’ve ever physically bought one in a “shop”.

FangfossFlyer and ssmith3046 like this.
  14. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

It is a bit confusing. Obviously, MK always reported what he saw in documents supplied to him and therefore would be confident that his information on the splice is correct as described on whatever paperwork was consulted. But it raises a further couple of questions which probably expose my ignorance and/or auditory processing failures:-

1. How long were the inserts?
    2. Do we know where the splice occurs on the official release?

I'd hope we get whichever complete take was not used at all on the LP.

15. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I always love your charts and graphs, HR. You have outdone yourself again. I only wish this chart appeared with the final product.

But, that said, BS Vol. 15 seems like it was designed specifically for me. (Weird.) The day before it was announced I was wishing we’d get all three live tracks from The Johnny Cash Show. “Hello, I’m Johnny Cash”. Maybe Johnny heard my prayer?

But, that said AGAIN, this set would be EVEN BETTER if they’d also included these additional 6 complete takes. Yeah, I know, if the “fever” talking!

So...
    My main question is, how am I supposed to get any sleep till November?

16. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Not much said about "As I Went Out One Morning." I'm assuming this is the version Michael Gray reported having played for him by a Dylan source--a one-off listen--and was pretty floored by. It has to be that version.

17. slane

slane Forum Resident

It has always sounded like a glitch/bad edit at around 0:42 (on the line 'know what any of it is worth'), A bit before that (around 0:34, on the word 'ploughman') there is a volume dip. So I have always assumed this part (0:34 - 0:42) might be the spliced insert.

Alternately, it might be from the glitch at 0:42 and into the following harmonica solo.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    dee, HominyRhodes, Percy Song and 2 others like this.
  18. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Yep. They could finally clear up the confusion (and hair-pulling, on my part) that they caused by putting two different dates for the SITLT outtake on ASP between the deluxe version and 2-CD set. (I still think the one we got is from the New Morning Sessions, by the way.)

19. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

And neither one is the B-side from 1970?

Six Bachelors and DeeThomaz like this.
  20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This really bugged me too. But I think the phlegm-y vocal dates it pretty clearly as a New Morning outtake, when he was battling a cold. (BTW, don’t get me wrong— it’s a great performance. Several of those NM tracks oddly benefit from the strain on Dylan’s voice.)

Six Bachelors likes this.
  21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

For that, the Pure Dylan comp is probably your best bet on CD (it also throws in the unedited version of the b-side “Trouble in Mind” as further collector bait), though it’s also on the OOP Masterpieces.

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It was also played at the recent Dylan conference (was that where Grey has his preview?) and, yep, it seemed to knock out everyone who heard it. I was surprised it wasn’t spotlighted in the recent Rolling Stone article.

23. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

There is mention in the RS article on the Tulsa archive from 2017:

...they do have John Wesley Harding outtakes that have never been heard by fans. A click on the first take of “As I Went Out One Morning” reveals a drastically slowed-down, dirge-like rendition of the song.

Exclusive: A Look Inside Bob Dylan's Secret Archives

I am assuming this is the take that we will get on BS15?

IronWaffle and DeeThomaz like this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

No confirmation yet, but it defies common sense that it wouldn’t be that take.

Mr. D likes this.
  25. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

And if not, people are gonna be p*ssed.

DeeThomaz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.