Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Yes, not a lot of joy or enthusiasm for the actual music comes across, does it! :confused:

2. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Exactly. He also says the USB stick had "8 more bits of resolution and more life", which is not true: both the USB and the 2012 vinyl records were created from 24-bit files. Also, the files were unlimited for the LPs, while there is limiting on the USB.

John Bliss and mikecarrera like this.
  3. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

While we all wish for more outtakes, what we got, to paraphrase the late Spencer Tracy is "cherse." That's "choice" to those unfamiliar with the way he says it. Man, the outtake for Here Comes The Sun is just sublime (charming as Andre Gardner aptly said). The vocals are so clear and there's just a hint of strain that George corralled so well on the final performance. Same is true for Old Brown Shoe. Clear, clean vocals with just a little grit. Very nice. I Want You is also wonderful. Again, John straining hard to hit the high notes, but it's human and powerful. It's a wonder how they got such amazing vocals on the final takes. Folks, you won't be upset with the outtakes that's for sure. Just wish we got to hear more... sigh:sigh: Ron

Ken Wood, aina, marmalade166 and 20 others like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Nice.

marmalade166 likes this.
  6. workhorse

workhorse Forum Resident

Hmmm, Fremer's review didn't instill much confidence in me. The fact that he praises the botched experiment that was the White Album 50th anniversary remix doesn't bode well. If he likes that softened, audiophile type of sound, and likes the Abbey Road remix, that probably means we're looking at yet another anemic, lifeless reissue.

I have a number of Abbey Road pressings, they vary in sound quality significantly, but they all sound amazing (save for the horrible sounding 2012 remaster).

7. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Not sure what you're on about. The White Album remix may be many things, but anemic and lifeless? Come on man. The Blu-Ray 2-channel audio grabs you by the balls and doesn't let go. At least in my living room.

And, Abbey Road already had a softer, audiophile sound to it on the original so again, not sure I get your point with this release here other than YOU didn't like the 2012 version or White Album remix.

It's all good...we all still have the originals to enjoy if you choose, right?

8. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

This would be a great argument if you had your info filled out

IronWaffle likes this.
  9. MichaelPapelian

MichaelPapelian Forum Resident

The Beatles didn't make many mistakes. But one of them was to bury George's vocals and eliminate John's guitar on Old Brown Shoe. The alternate take is amazing. Would have quite nicely on a June 1969 side 1 version of Get Back. Something along these lines:
    1. Get Back single
    2. Dig a Pony (rooftop)
    3. Old Brown Shoe
    4. I've Got a Feeling (rooftop)
    5. One after 909 (rooftop)
    6. Don't Let Me Down (single)

Now that is a rocking little record I'd want my jockey to play.

aina, boggs, DmitriKaramazov and 4 others like this.
  10. alanb

alanb Senior Member

You need to re read it - he more or less says he's not a big fan of the remix and goes as far as to post sound clips highlighting the quieter snare on the remix. BUT does say he like the outakes.

pantofis and workhorse like this.
  11. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

For me, as I've said before, the WA blu ray is the single best product Apple ever sold. That mix was just slightly compressed, and aligned to the material. Perfect. Unlike Pepper.

It's so tempting to say, Mikey, didn't you hear how hot Come Together was?? The answer may be that the physical media isn't as hot as youtube.

But it was such a careful review...

12. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

13. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Not sure why you contradict yourself. A good argument is a good argument and does not care about some profile info. I assume you wrote that before thinking. I want to apologize to
    @imsjry for that mishap.
    I know I learned *detailed listening* on cheap cassette players with cheap headphones. But even those let me discover the intricate production details of Pepper, the raw and direct sound of the WA and the softer fully rounded sound profile of AR. What a difference a mix makes. How effects can fill space and make the end result sound either more full ... or bloated.
    Money won't buy neither ears, nor imagination. That does not mean I still am mesmerized by what I am able to treat myself with today, but even these days I only build upon what I learned back then: to listen attentively and with passion.
    @imsjry received a like from me.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Guess who has this in hand at this very moment?

Hint: he has the captain of the Serenity from Firefly as an avatar.

15. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

What about this early mix of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"...Being recorded in February 1969, it could have been the b-side to the "Get Back" single instead of "Don't Let Me Down."

FJFP likes this.
  16. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Can't believe I'm entertaining this but:

Preamp-Yamaha CX-10
    Power Amp-Parasound HCA 1200ii
    Speakers-Klipsch Chorus ii
    Turntable-Thorens TD-147
    Blu Ray Player-Some cheap Sony

Are my comments ok now?

17. Why not? It's a requirement of your membership.

ODIrony, MrRom92, Frank and 2 others like this.
  18. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

Well it gives us an idea of how resolving your system may be before you go criticizing certain masterings or whatever you comment on. Thanks

19. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

That boxset looks amazing, looks like they’ve done the job again presentation wise, but really he‘s doing a video to promote the boxset and LP boxset then starts pulling out different copies that are 50 years old, just show the two new sets.

20. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

It's all good. Come for the information, stay for the music snobbiness. I really do love this place! And regardless, I'm excited for this release and can't wait to crank it on my Mid-Fi, budget system.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  21. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Looks good, but I always can't wait for the one after One After 909 :)

The Old Brown Shoe outtake is pretty good. When George sang with conviction, he had a very likable voice.

Ken Wood and beatleroadie like this.
  22. beatleroadie

Wonder if a remix of "Old Brown Shoe" for a future Past Masters reissue will "un-muffle" the lead vocal a bit. Even just added clarity/separation of a remix could make that vocal more enjoyable and easier to make sense of.

ralph7109 likes this.
  23. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Old vinylmaniacs.. :blah::uhhuh:

CraigBic, Duophonic and Carl80 like this.
  24. beatleroadie

I'm actually going to hold off on watching any unboxing videos. Going to wait till I get mine on Friday to see what's inside the book and all. Anyone else avoiding unboxing videos for the next three days?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.