2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

That can't be a different mix of the same take. It's a different take altogether.

2. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

The video was of a BBC performance I believe.

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yeah that's not the same version

4. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

BBC version.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Is this singles box still happening? Everything seems to be geared towards the Abbey Road 50th. It doesn't make sense to put out two expensive box sets out at the same time.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  6. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Of course everything is geared toward Abbey Road, it’s coming out this week. The singles box has been rumored for a November release, plenty of time for them to promote that. As for whether putting out multiple box sets makes sense or not is up to the consumer, but it’s nothing new. Why just last year there was about 4 major Beatle related box sets released within a 2 month span, so it’s not without precedent.

planckera likes this.
  7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That’s because they’re all the same mix. Again the 45 of PPM (and Ask Me Why) has noticeably different mastering (AMW more than PPM), not different mixes.

Shawn likes this.
  8. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I think it's pretty safe to say anyone who is seriously considering buying both isn't going to care that they come out so close to each other.

The Super Deluxe Abbey Road is a niche product, the Singles Box is even more of a niche product. The # of people who are going to buy both is REALLY low. It's not a big deal.

9. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

But the single of "Ask Me Why" definitely sounds different from the mono album. It's just a mastering difference?

10. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I'm no expert by any means but I would think that an added layer of reverb would be a mix difference and not something done
    at the mastering stage....the added reverb is on most if not all mono issues of Ask Me Why except the original Parlophone 45
    and at least what we know at this time the 70's re-issue Parlophone 45.
    The version on these 45's of Please Please Me are also different.

11. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Probably asked somewhere along the line but...

Are the mixes on the old CD singles box set true to the 45's?

12. Correct, it’s just a mastering difference.

13. badfingerjoe

They are with the exception being Please ,Please Me/Ask Me Why which is discussed above in this thread.
    There was also an older thread just about those mixes that Steve contributed to.

14. badfingerjoe

What were your sources for those samples?

15. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

63' Mono Please Please Me album and 63' Mono Please Please Me/Ask Me Why single

16. badfingerjoe

17. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

your welcome

18. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

It's a different mix. Ask Me Why on the single is likely a delta mono mix, avoiding the use of the twin track session tape, and with the ability to have the echo return mixed differently than what was sent simultaneously to twin track. For the album they mixed to mono from the twin track, possibly adding more echo.

Billy Budapest, slane and Shawn like this.
  19. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that's a BBC recording, not the official version.

20. How would they have voided use of the two track session tape? Not doubting you, just not sure I follow.

21. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

The mixing desk used at that time had a delta-mono capability, giving the ability to mix to a third output besides the two being sent to a stereo tape machine. For the early sessions they would often use this, recording simultaneously to two tape machines, mono and twin track stereo.

As far as I know there were no overdubs done for Ask Me Why, so the delta mono mix of take 6 could have been used. But it has been documented the track was mixed to mono on 30-Nov-1962, four days after recording. I'm not sure how this mixing for the single was done and whether the twin track tape would have been used.

At any rate, the song was mixed again, from twin track, on 25-Feb-1963 for the mono and stereo LPs.

soundQman, slane and Shawn like this.
  22. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

lukpac likes this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No echo added for the LP mono mix. It's simply the level of the echo recorded at the original session is louder because it was on both tracks of the twin-track tape.

And to spell it out for those not already familiar with the process: for many of the early recordings, there were *two* session tapes rolling at the same time. Twin-track and (delta) mono. In the case of the Ask Me Why 45, the delta mono session tape was used instead of the twin-track session tape. And the delta mono functionality could also be used for mixing: for the LP, Ask Me Why was mixed simultaneously to mono and stereo, although of course there wasn't much to "mix".

Barrett only indicates a remix for Please Please Me for the 45, not Ask Me Why:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Magnus A., Adam9, Diego Lucas and 7 others like this.
  24. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

It seems likely to me that they simply cut the live take 6 delta mono recording of Ask Me Why from E48382, and the mono remix of Please Please Me from E48389 and assembled to TL14207 for the single. Is there any evidence that would refute this?

I would really expect this single master tape to still exist, although apparently they haven't used it for any CD release.

slane likes this.
  25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nope.

It seems unlikely that it wouldn't exist anymore. The only caveat being Barrett wasn't always totally clear about tracks being cut from some reels and placed on others. I know after he made his notes a number of stray tracks were compiled together on new reels. Such as reel AR 58403:

[​IMG]

Even the TL tapes listed in his notes don't seem to be original. The numbers aren't in release or recording order, and sometimes disparate tracks are on the same reel. TL2522 had several singles, from Yes It Is to Hello Goodbye...but not Baby You're A Rich Man.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Diego Lucas, slane, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.