Black Star Riders - Another State of Grace (Sept 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FourWalledWorld, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident Thread Starter

New album coming on 6th September.

The first single is up now:

Tracklist:
    01. Tonight The Moonlight Let Me Down
    02. Another State Of Grace
    03. Ain’t The End Of The World
    04. Underneath The Afterglow
    05. Soldier In The Ghetto
    06. Why Do You Love Your Guns?
    07. Standing In The Line Of Fire
    08. What Will It Take?
    09. In The Shadow Of The War Machine
    10. Poisoned Heart

There also appears to be a bonus track on the CD of the box set edition (BLACK STAR RIDERS - Another state of grace ):
    Bonus:
    11. Candidate For Heartbreak

Galley likes this.
  2. FourWalledWorld

Video for "Another State of Grace":

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I have the rest. might get it but its getting a bit samey

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  4. FourWalledWorld

Another new single "'Ain't the End of the World":

BluesOvertookMe and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Listened the album a few times since friday. Overall a strong one imo.
    Difficult to compare to the previous 3 just yet, I'll have to live with it for a while longer.

Anyhow - first three tracks are pure Thin Lizzy (perhaps not what they want to hear, but hey!) and would fit on any classic Lizzy album imo.
    Last track is a strong one too, while Warwick's lyrics shine all the way through. "Why do you love your guns" is sadly more and more relevant

Black Star Riders "Another State of Grace" — Rock Solid great new interview with Warwick on this podcast, with an in-depth track by track commentary on the new album

Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

No love for this?

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  7. FourWalledWorld

I forgot to post my thoughts after the release. I like it. So far, I definitely enjoy it more than "Heavy Fire" which didn't hold much replay value for me.

"Tonight the Moonlight Let Me Down" may be one of their finest tracks.

Pouchkine likes this.
  8. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

First 3 tracks are very strong. The rest of the album keeps growing on me. Seeing them live in 4 weeks, and from what I gather they have dropped any Lizzy songs from the set. Fine by me, as I think a "best of" from the 4 albums makes for a hell of a set list.
    (have been able to catch Lizzy a few times since the 2012 re-launch, but not yet seen BSR)

Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Saw BSR last weekend. Superb show, and it really brought home what the band has to offer across their 4 albums. The set was very strong, and the band was tight as hell.

judging from the activity in this thread, this is a long shot...but anyways;

They talk about auditioning people in LA for the new guitarist, Martucci, and how none of the about 10 guys before him made the cut. Any idea of any of them were name players?
    Also, same goes for the drummer's position. They auditioned about 10 guys before they found Chad. Any idea who?

(fun fact on a slightly related note; now former guitarist Damon Johnson was one of the guys Bon Jovi auditioned to replace Sambora)

10. FourWalledWorld

I'm not sure of any of the other potential guitarists/drummers.

I'll admit, I was doubtful if they would continue as well without Damon Johnson but Christian Martucci is doing an excellent job live and in-studio (judging by "Another State of Grace").

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I saw them on their first tour & they were great.
    Mostly Lizzy material back then & I'm sure that has changed with each new album, all of which I own.
    We need a live release from them now.

12. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

been hoping for a live dvd/blu ray!!

there are some decent pro shots from Germany, but they're already a few years old, and two albums have been released since.
    The gig I saw in late 2019 was GREAT, all original material, and a band on fire.

Well worthy of release

FourWalledWorld, Pouchkine and MYQ1 like this.
  13. FourWalledWorld

Yes, their last tour was excellent, possibly the best time I have seen them live (and it was with no Lizzy material at all).

I read recently that they are hoping to reconvene to record the next album in the summer.

Pouchkine likes this.
  14. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Agreed a live release would be great.

Pouchkine and MYQ1 like this.
  15. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

a new album is apparently demoed and ready to be recorded - fingers crossed they can get it out later this year.

16. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

18. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

This band needs more representation around this place.

Saw them on their first tour when they were placing mostly Lizzy tunes.
    That was awesome!

Time for a live Blu-ray offering.

20. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I saw them 10-12 years ago and have been a big fan ever since. So much so that I accidentally ordered “Another State of Grace” twice. Anybody who wants my sealed extra copy at cost, PM me.

(if trying to peddle an extra LP violates forum rules, please deep six this post and accept my apologies)

21. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

22. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

they recorded 3 gigs on that last UK run. I have all of them across the various formats, and sadly none of them sound particularly good, even for a instant live type recording.
    (Can’t remember if this is a case where you could pick it up on your way out, but even so, I’ve heard many better recordings by the same company - concertlive.co.uk)

which is a shame, cause the band was really tight at this time. I caught them a month prior to this recording, and that was a terrific gig.
    And it also showcases how integral Downey is to the band. With him behind the kit, it sounds like Thin Lizzy.
    Remove him and put in jimmy degrasso (superb drummer who did tue first 3 BSR albums) and it doesn’t sound like Thin Lizzy anymore, despite these fact that all other players are the same

Pouchkine, MYQ1 and FourWalledWorld like this.
  23. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

To follow up on my previous post;

I was hoping Lizzy would put out a great looking / sounding live package from that 2011-2012 tour. The band never sounded better post 1983. But I guess that’s never going to happen..

there is a a 30 min HD edit of their High Voltage set from 2011 (with Richard Fortus on guitar, filling in for Vivian Campbell, and prior to Damon Johnson joining) and it’s really really good. The full set in pristine quality would be such a treat.
    And imo, they were even better the following year..

Pouchkine and MYQ1 like this.
  24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Quoted for truth. Next to Lynott, Downey was the other indispensable member for the Thin Lizzy feel. Nobody plays those songs the way he does.

I've seen the recent incarnations of Thin Lizzy with and without Downey, and I've also seen Black Star Riders. That wonderful drummer makes such a difference.

Pouchkine likes this.
  25. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Eiricd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.