Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

Michael Gray tells the story of where and when he heard it in the podcast we did with him in June.

More Michael Gray

2. Jokerman9

Jokerman9 Forum Resident

I recall Michael saying that the takes of As I Went Out One Morning and All Along the Watchtower we heard in Tulsa were both first takes.

3. paidinblood

paidinblood Forum Resident

The version played in Tulsa has the melody and pacing of a sea chanty, a la Garcia "Back To The Sea Once More"

LonesomeDayBlues and DeeThomaz like this.
  4. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Thanks, @slane ! Both events you describe are quite obvious to me now you've pointed them out. Listening to several different editions - mono and stereo, both on vinyl and CD - I also hear another volume dip at 0:38 on "None..." It's probably on all versions. The glitch is perhaps most noticeable on the original UK "mono" LP; it seems like a good candidate for being the splice point.

5. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

I am surprised no one has mentioned how the Dylan/Cash association was giving a lot of time in the recent Ken Burns "Country Music" documentary. It was sort a an advertisement for this release. Footage from both the sessions and Dylan's appearance on Cash's TV show were giving a good amount of airtime.

DmitriKaramazov, Quincy, dee and 7 others like this.
  6. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

re: "All Along the Watchtower" -- Krogsgaard's transcriptions sometimes appear cryptic to me, but my impression is that two "complete" takes exist, one of them spliced together using Takes 1 and 2, which became the version released on JWH. I'm hoping that Take 3 on the new set will be a previously unheard alternate take.

7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I agree that that promotion can’t hurt the sales of this release.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  8. HominyRhodes

Oh, I mentioned it alright, a few weeks ago:

9. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

That's your podcast? It's fantastic

drift, The Bard and adriatikfan like this.
  10. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

If so we’ll get to hear the «amazing» As I Went Out One Morning on this release!

DeeThomaz and Justin Brooks like this.
  11. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

Thank you!

12. HominyRhodes

You did a very nice job there, it's a big improvement, but I started from scratch and came up with this lower-resolution image, just going with an overall blue tint:

[​IMG]

Can't wait to see better images of the real deal, hopefully soon.

13. S1m0ne

S1m0ne Forum Resident

Don't you all think it's time to start a thread about speculations on Vol. 16? :D

Alfie Noakes and EdwinM like this.
  14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Correct. The b-side is in a different key and has a bass on it, as I recall, which made me suspect it was from March, maybe even with an overdubbed bass. Could just as easily be the other June ‘70 version though.

I agree. Everything about that recording - the ambience, the piano tone and his voice - resembles the other June ‘70 recordings.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Cancelled the CDs, pre ordered the vinyl. I believe I'll be much happier with these tracks on vinyl.

17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Only in mono on "Masterpieces". "Pure Dylan " was its first stereo release.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  18. Six Bachelors

Is the Pure Dylan stereo version a vintage mix?

19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I don’t know when it was prepared but it’s the mix from the B-side of the single, released for the first time ever in stereo on that unique compilation. Originally on CD, then latterly on double LP.

20. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Pure Dylan, one of the best single compilations ever released. Do yourself a favor and pick it up.

21. Six Bachelors

Well, if it was released in stereo on Pure Dylan but was mono on the single then I would say it's very much not the mix from the b-side but a stereo mix - vintage or not - of the same performance.

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Does that not go without saying ?

23. HominyRhodes

I have a few copies of the original mono 45, and an original New Zealand pressing of the 1978 Masterpieces 3-LP, as well as the CD of Pure Dylan. "Spanish Is..." on the latter sounds much clearer, although there is a bit of tape hiss, so I'm really not sure when it was remastered.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  24. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Speaking of mono/stereo looks like the songs with Earl Scruggs on BS 15 are all in mono if the iTunes listing can be trusted.

Natural E likes this.
  25. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

The Ken Burns Show played most of the Dylan / Cash performance of Girl from the North Country, as well as a really NICE clip of the two of them duetting on One Too Many Mornings.

NICE!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.