Post Your Successful Hi-Res Amazon HD Setup

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sjsanford, Sep 25, 2019.

1. sjsanford

sjsanford Forum Resident Thread Starter

Use this thread to post hardware & software setups where you have confirmed you got Amazon HD to work with bit-perfect full-resolution (24/192).

Indicate all items in your chain, including what platform the Amazon app is on, any extra software, player, DAC, connects, etc.

Also note if your setup is working for downloaded files, streaming, or both.

(To discuss Amazon HD service in general, including setup questions, feature updates, rants, raves, etc, use the existing thread here: Amazon HD Music goes live )

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    33na3rd, 2veg and btltez like this.
  2. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

DAC: Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital (set to 24/192 in Windows) w/ Schiit Wyrd, connected to each other and to my PC through PYST USB cables
    Amplifier: Schiit Asgard 3 connected to the DAC with PYST RCA cables
    Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-R70x

Streams all of the 24/192 albums I've tried perfectly fine, and if I want exclusive mode, I can feed it through JRiver with WDM.

[​IMG]

3. CaptainVans

CaptainVans Member

DAC - Fiio E07K Andes
    Headphones - Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7

Works successfully on a Windows PC and on an iPhone 6 using a Lighthing to USB Camera Adapter.

[​IMG]

4. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

I'm feeding the audio through the JRiver Wasapi driver and the settings display seem to confirm this. Although, I'm not sure if it is in the Exclusive mode. As you can see from the display that "No changes are being made" which I believe indicates that it is bit perfect. If someone with more knowledge than I see's this differently, please correct me.

[​IMG]

5. allegro

allegro Well-Known Member

Are sample rate and bit depth played changing automatically on the Pro-Ject with different files? Or if you play a 16/44 song is it still being upsampled to 24/192?

6. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

As far as I can tell, it's working correctly with Bluesound Node 2i via the BluOS app for both macOS and iOS. But there doesn't appear to be any way to view the sample rate and bit depth.

[​IMG]

vinylbeat, PATB and timind like this.
  7. allegro

I think that is because Amazon Music HD service is now supported by the BluOS app so if a HD version of a song is available BluOS is supposed to play it at the highest quality. That won't happen with DACs that are not supported as far as I understand. That's why enabling exclusive mode is needed for most of us.

8. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

I have a Project Prebox DAC and it is upsampling everything to 24/192 on the Amazon App. Roon, Tidal and JRiver apps correctly play files at their native sample and bitrates. We will have this problem until Amazon implements exclusive mode.

TonyCzar likes this.
  9. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

MacBook Pro —>audioquest USB —> Marantz sa8005.

Seems easy enough.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. JayDog

JayDog Well-Known Member

iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Fiio Q1 Mark 2
    3.5 mm to 2 male rca adapter

11. BZ58

BZ58 Forum Resident

Amplification: Denon AVR-X1400H AV Receiver
    Headphone System: Audeze LCD-3 Headphone, Audeze Deckard headphone amp, JDS Labs El DAC
    Speaker System: KEF Q350
    Music Storage System: iMAC, JRiver Media Center

iMac / JDS Labs El DAC --> RCA out / --> RCA in Denon AVR-X1400H AV Receiver

As you can see here I'm using the RCA out from the DAC to RCA in to the AVR. I have the AVR set to "analog" input to enable the sound through the RCA inputs in the AVR, as pictured below.

I can see when pulling up the info in the desktop app of Amazon Music that track quality is 24 bit / 192 kHz and currently playing at is also 24 bit / 192 kHz.

Question is, when using the RCA inputs, is the track really playing at 24 bit / 192 kHz?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  12. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Strikes and gutters, ups and downs.

Amazon Music HD

Macbook Air 2015 Using Wifi

iFi Nano IDSD Black Label

Integrated amp

No issues setting up Mac Midi outputs.

No issues with playback up to 24/192.

Sounds Fabulous.

Also works great with my Sonos Connect but obviously only to redbook quality

BZ58 likes this.
  13. BZ58

BZ58 Forum Resident

iMac / JDS Labs El DAC --> RCA out / --> RCA in Denon AVR-X1400H AV Receiver

I had asked the question, when using the RCA inputs, is the track really playing at 24 bit / 192 kHz?
    I think I answered my own question with a little research. DAC is an abbreviation of digital-to-analog converter. So using RCA out from the DAC to RCA in to the AVR it should be getting 24 bit / 192 kHz.

The Dude Abides likes this.
  14. Hab

Hab Forum Resident

Bluesound Node 2>Audiolab M-DAC, works perfectly. Bitrate is shown on screen.

sheffandy likes this.
  15. sjsanford

sjsanford Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's right... the holy grail is preserving the world length (bits) and sample rate (kHz) and all bits unmolested through the whole digital domain, from stored file to distribution/stream/download to delivery to the DAC. Once it hits the DAC, the digital may stay that way, or get up/down sampled, but then once it reaches the analog stage in the DAC, the word length and sample rate part of the party is over.

SBurke likes this.
  16. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

Can the Bluesound stream Amazon HD?

17. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Yes, but you have to go through the Bluesound app, add Amazon Music as a service, enter your credentials and navigate through there. It's kind of clunky but you get the Hi Res.

18. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

My setup is Bluesound Node 2i -> Coax out -> Parasound Halo Integrated. I snagged a Rega DAC-R on Audiogon and will be adding that into the chain when it gets here.

timind likes this.
  19. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

If you don't mind, can you tell me how you load the Amazon stream into JRiver?? Thanks!

SBurke likes this.
  20. allegro

21. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

22. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

No, you just use JRiver as the output.

23. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

@allegro 's pics are of the JRiver interface though?

24. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

lpc is the WDM output.

25. allegro

Using WDM in JRiver strikes me as a band aid: a temp fix. Amazon needs to spend the time to incorporate Wasapi exclusive mode same as Qobuz. I can hope they open their API to Roon and Audirvana but am not holding my breath. I suspect I will have to just let my 3 month free trial run out. I speculate they are not even going after audio enthusiasts who care enough about sound quality to already use Qobuz.

SBurke, Kyhl, sharedon and 1 other person like this.