Do you still listen to cassettes?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vincent3, Sep 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just wondering how many of you have held onto cassettes and still listen to them.

The Doga and Eleanora's Alchemy like this.
  2. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I voted no. Although I grew up with cassettes and the nostalgia factor is high for me, every time I consider buying a tape deck, I remember how many CDs I could buy with that money instead.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have a few but don't listen to them. And there's only one that I would want to listen to (a radio broadcast)

There isn't a poll option for this. :)

4. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Gave em all away. Another format whose usefulness has long passed.

5. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

I still have a functioning Nakamichi cassette deck from about 1990. The last time I used it, though, was a couple of years ago, when I digitized the most important of my old tapes. At present, it's not even connected to my stereo.

Alan2 and Comet01 like this.
  6. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

No... but kept 60 'special cassettes and a 60 cassette wooden display wall case.

I like cassettes... & they are analog!

Alan2, Westerwick and Mlle. Aurora like this.
  7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I have successfully boycotted the Compact Cassette since the beginning.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  8. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I own some cassettes, mainly demos, live recordings, compilations, and releases that are only available on that medium. Otherwise, I buy them whenever they're ultra cheap.

When compared to my collection of records and CDs, cassettes represent a very small percentage.

9. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

I continue to make compilations of LPs for my own pleasure and see no reason to stop. I would rather listen to an all analog chain than a CDR despite the convenience of the disc. Because of my age (67) the majority of my musical memory is formed from LPs, cassettes and FM broadcasts which inform what I expect things to sound like. Despite this predilection I have no quarrel with what Giles Martin is doing.

10. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

i like mine and listen to them occasionally, it's a nice familiar sound

and i like looking at them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob Y, ClassicalCD, CDV and 12 others like this.
  11. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

Still listen to the well recorded tapes on the trusty ol player. Still surprised it sounds so good after all these years.

[​IMG]

The Doga, Chemguy, DiabloG and 4 others like this.
  12. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Not since the early '90s or so. I never did own many pre-recorded cassettes, maybe a dozen or so. The rest were mostly recordings from LPs, radio, and later CDs, for portable use. All were disposed of long ago. Probably the only ones that I wish I still had were recordings of me and my friends making prank calls when I was a kid. :D

CDV and andrewskyDE like this.
  13. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

I have gotten back in to them a couple of years ago and found that I prefer them to vinyl - many pre-recorded tapes from the mid 80s and later sound great, they are analog without the clicks and pops. I still have the tapes I recorded in the 70s and 80s too.

14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I still have some, but I think the only player left in the house is a crappy old boombox that I don’t really care to use. So they haven’t been replaced, they’ve just kind of been left out of rotation.

15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Lately I've been buying them dirt cheap at Goodwill.

they had 4 for a $1,

16. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

no, but i still *buy* some. Because, hipsters. Some indie bands like to release on cassette as the only physical format these days (especially labels that primarily exist on bandcamp). usually come with a download tho. Not sure I would trust my old player not to eat them. Worst format ever IMO.

dsf and Big Blue like this.
  17. JayDog

JayDog Well-Known Member

Gave em all away years ago. Hi-Res downloads and Vinyl all I use.

18. gammarayson

gammarayson Forum Resident

Yes, I listen to audiobooks in this format sometimes.

19. Big Jack Brass

Big Jack Brass Two Separate Gorillas

Recently I digitised some of my old tapes, but the majority haven't been played for years. In the case of the street musician I met in Quebec in the nineties the cassette is my only option, so in circumstances like that I've decided to digitise what I have; most albums are easy to replace on a generally better format, however.

The nostalgia is there, taking me back to my days of travelling around the States with a Walkman and a few carefully chosen albums, but in general I've moved on.

20. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

I returned to cassettes in 2015 to record mixtapes from vinyl and DSD sources using Sony TC-FX6. I use Sony Walkman TC-D3 for music on the go. Recently bought a lot of sealed Sony chrome UX-Pro, chrome UX, and metal tapes.
    Last week I recorded a mixtape for my friend as a birthday gift. Being used to lossy formats, he was surprised of good sound quality it produces.

[​IMG]

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

22. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

I still have a couple of drawers full of pre-recorded cassettes. Most I also have CD versions of, and some vinyl. Some have memories for me.

The retro appeal does it for me, but I have to admit decent playback equipment helps, although walkman through decent 'phones is also good.

Some go wonky, but keeping pinch rollers and tape heads clean helps, whilst any rubber belts eventually need replacing - but overall, I still appreciate cassettes.

The Compact Cassette appealed, I guess, also due to its relationship with tape and reel to reel. It was like a small handy affordable version of what was in a studio. It was not perfect, but I find it strangely warm and familiar.

I don't bother with Dolby - always found it knocked off too much top end for me. But, I cherish some cassettes as they were with me in my younger, poorer days.

When Minidisc came along, it wasn't exactly the same - expensive for one - and I continued with cassette. I could record easily, make copies and still everything was fairly portable.

My relationship with my first wife saw me ditching all my mix tapes in the light of the new, shiny CD era. I regret both deeply - I should've kept one of those things - I think you know which one!

The Doga, Coypu, The Trinity and 4 others like this.
  23. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

24. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

Yes! A great picture. This image illustrates other aspects of tapes -the aesthetic look, the level meters display, the beautiful box, artwork and even the cassette itself, which could look cool. Both my units are drawer mechanisms which swallow the cassette so you don't see 'em playing.

Some cassette covers compromised the album artwork by confining it into little squares, whilst some enhanced it by cropping to the narrower format. When I get home, I'm gonna explore my drawers and remind myself of some of the decent front covers in my collection.

There was always something about a refined deck that would draw me towards it. In fact, the physical playing of the media is a huge part of it. And, like a record, you can see it performing through the little window.

I have both the Red and Blue double albums on cassette and love listening to them. Having portable Beatles was, for me, something special and a landmark for my musical upbringing.

longdist01 and Mlle. Aurora like this.
  25. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Yes, and I buy NOS blanks, NOS pre-recorded, new music (sound art, experimental, etc) and oddities. Along with vinyl and CD, this has me covered for most of my needs. Most of all, aside from the (predominantly) analogue ethos, it's fun and there's a thriving global cassette community.

Might have a listen to Amazon HD though, and migrate the family music account later this year. But I'm not going to live forever, so I don't really need a gazillion tracks and the universe-on-a-stick, so to speak.

grbluen and George Cooke like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.