Stephen King's "The Stand" remake on CBS All Access

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spaghettiows, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Stand: Stephen King TV Series Cast, Release Date, News, and More

I kind of liked the ABC miniseries when it was first aired. Of course, there was much disturbing content that could not get through on a network TV series. So I always felt that a remake would eventually happen in a streaming format that would include the darker content.

Does anyone out there with CBS All Access know if their original non-commercial broadcast programming is subject to the same content restrictions as their broadcast programming?

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abigail? Hmmm...

Amber Heard as Nadine Cross?
    Yes!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I think the original is one of the better King adaptations out there, so I'm not sure this is really necessary. And anyway, how can they top the use of "Don't Dream It's Over" ?

4. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Didn't watch it, but I understand "The Good Fight" had the F-word and nudity.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  5. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Was looking forward to Mathew M as Flagg. However, now that he is out, I think Skarsgard is a great choice.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Molly Ringwald was awful. This will have to be an improvement

7. Spaghettiows

Yeah, seems kind of like stunt casting but I think she can pull it off if she restrains her performance style a bit.

8. Spaghettiows

I thought that the ABC miniseries was pretty good, but not much more than "pretty good". It's been 25 years now since that version, so I'm up for an updated attempt.

9. Spaghettiows

She was a little wooden, but they did have some good actors involved. Ed Harris was perfect and Gary Sinise very good as well. Jamey Sheridan nailed Randall Flagg. I wasn't crazy about Rob Lowe.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The only thing I don't like about the original is Flagg, who looks like a stereotypical pro-wrestler in a comedy movie. Gary Sinise is perfect in the miniseries - I even see his face when I read the book!

Rob Lowe did a pretty good job IMHO - it was rather an odd and vulnerable role for him.

I don't get CBS All Access but I trust I'll see this sometime in the future.

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I would agree. The woman who later wound up in Just Shoot Me was also really good.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

I hear ya but I just can't see it.
    The role itself is over-the-top if you know what I mean and Whoopi could take it right over the abyss.

13. Wildest cat from montana

Agreed. Who's playing that role?

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Is filming complete?

15. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

16. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I was really hoping for the proposed two-part theatrical films. Just as well that didn’t happen with the events of 2020. Hopefully this gets a home video release and I can see it then.

17. Welshman

Welshman Forum Resident

I thought it needed at least 10 hours of current era quality TV to have a chance of doing the book justice so glad that's what it got.
    I tried the old TV adaptation after reading the book but didn't get all the way through the first part.
    I thought the slow and meticulous showing of the spread of the virus and the breakdown of society was absolutely brilliant in the book. King didn't 'cheat,' by jumping ahead in time to the point where almost everyone is dead. I did enjoy that first half more than when the supernatural stuff came in.

18. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

I liked the original film version for the most part. Couldn't stand Ringwald and felt bad for Sinise having to play opposite her. I didn't much care for the actress who played Mother Abigail, either. One of the worst bits was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar playing the "bring out your dead" guy. Just awful.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. timind

timind phorum rezident

My favorite King book. I thought the watered-down ABC series was OK, but lacked a lot of the book's tension.

Hope this is better.

20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I enjoyed the book but the middle section became a brick wall for me. All those committees they made just stalled the flow. I flew through the pandemic and the last third of the book. The middle took me a week to plod through it. I love the book none the less and that’s why I was hoping for a big budget theatrical project. I look forward to seeing this.

21. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

I was thinking more ESPN sportscaster in a bad wig - really didn't work for me. I thought Bill Fagerbakke and Rob Lowe stole the series, although I was always partial to Miguel Ferrer playing a pragmatic bad guy.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Watched the 1994 mini-series on DVD 20 years ago - didn't like it.

Watched the Blu-ray a few weeks ago - still didn't like it.

Looking forward to the new version - has to be better!

http://dvdmg.com/standbr.shtml

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Rob Lowe kinda blew my mind in that role, I can't read the book and not see him. Laura San Giacomo also turned in a performance that surprised me - she is an unforgettable incarnation of creepy. Her presence is actually unsettling.

Gary Sinise is my favorite though. He inhabits that role. I almost don't want to see a version of this without Sinise, Lowe, and Fagerbakke in it. All note-perfect performances.

24. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Fagerbakke IS Tom Cullen. M-O-O-N spells Fagerbakke.

My favorite King book as well, but I still prefer the first version rather than the later expanded edition.