Jeff Lynne's ELO - From Out Of Nowhere

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BillWX, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillWX

BillWX Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all!
    I couldn't find a dedicated thread for this. So apologies if there is another one.
    Jeff Lynne's ELO is back and the new album, From Out Of Nowhere, drops in early November. I like the sound on the new title track. Looking around the web, this album is more focused on messages of hope and salvation - where Alone In The Universe was more like his own life story. Richard Tandy makes an appearance on the album, so it's good to see he's well enough to make the appearance.
    Here's a link to listen to the new track:

Enjoy!

-Bill

2. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I like it, definitely ELO looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

Thanks for posting.

3. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

I like the new album cover, although I'm not so sure why the spaceship is in such hard shape. LOL. The addition of the '10538' number on the right-hand side of the ship is a nice touch.

[​IMG]

According to info online, there will be a 'deluxe' version of the album released with a metallic gold LP and animated lenticular (i.e., 3D) cover, which should make the spaceship 'pop' off the black background.

For those interested, Amazon.ca have the deluxe vinyl LP (with lenticular cover and coloured vinyl) listed for pre-order at only $25.40 CDN. The regular black vinyl LP is listed at only $17.40 CDN. Pretty good prices compared to other Amazon sites.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    rxcory, Sean, rontoon and 7 others like this.
  4. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Sounds good. Does this mean we won't have to wait another few decades before another tour?

5. simon1966

simon1966 Well Known Senior.

I will buy the black vinyl that has 10 tracks, same as the CD and coloured vinyl. Colour Vinyl, is great to nail to the wall. £39 big ones, is too expensive, I only want the music.

DiBosco and JohnCarter17 like this.
  6. RTZ

RTZ Forum Resident

Hopefully this time around a tour that plays a few more cities.

A cool tour would be with Alan Parsons as an opening act.

7. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I have the same concern that I had about his last album - the lack of drum fills.
    I understand that he lays it down himself - and much of it simply sounds like
    he's just looping a few bars or two. Without fills to propel the songwriting
    things just seem trapped in demo amber. A static 4/4 loop does not make for
    and exciting performance. What's a real shame, and this is on me and not Lynne,
    is that once I perceive a loop (real or imaginary) I can never really get to excited
    about hearing that song much in the future.

samohtben, MSek, AidanB and 18 others like this.
  8. RTZ

RTZ Forum Resident

Very happy to see a new album announced. It's been great to have Jeff Lynne be much more active the last few years.

I was surprised back when Zoom came out and enjoyed the album and the concert DVD. After that it seemed like that would be the final proejct from Lynne / ELO.
    So Alone in the Universe was an unexpected bonus and now we have a new album!

Bill007, Jarleboy and Lonecat like this.
  9. RTZ

RTZ Forum Resident

I understand that Jeff Lynne seems to prefer to work alone and not trust or rely on others. But after he works up the songs wouldn't it be nice if he brought in a drummer to add to the completed songs?
    Maybe someone like Steve Ferrone?

10. simon1966

Classic ELO era chugging guitars, reminds me of Secret Messages. I hope there is more in this direction. I wouldn't say this was AT or AITU, It is closer to the Japanese only track, on AITU. AITU is a great album, and a progression from ZOOM, that had some very different ELO sound, that had also progressed. Not heard the other nine tracks yet, so we can judge anything yet. It sounds like he has cleared out and remodeled the archive, if we listen to what he said on BBC This morning, and then look at ASCAP we see clearly what is going on. As usual with JL you think you have heard it before but can't put your finger on it 'Bluebird' comes to mind with this new single, in a slight phrase or two. It is a great cover and takes a nod to OTTD. It would have been nice to get more tracks, although 10 tracks will do on all format, no extra tracks this time around.

Jarleboy and Changingman like this.
  11. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Yes, absolutely. When a drummer (or drum track) fails to respond to the nuances of the music - I become disappointed.
    The drums should be more than a timekeeping tool.

12. Houston_Music_Fan

Houston_Music_Fan Forum Resident

God, I could die happy at that point. Might I also suggest The Moody Blues?

marmalade and bhazen like this.
  13. simon1966

I never understand why people are obsessed with how JL plays the drums. I think he sounds better than BB in some cases. I doubt have somebody else play the drums would make much difference. Most recordings by all, are parts on multi-tracks. Sounds fine to me, just enjoy the music.

omikron likes this.
  14. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I agree, there needs to be a bit more from the drumming to make the song a bit more interesting. Listening to it, I thought this is not bad....but then I was done with it before the song even ended just because I felt I'd heard everything I needed to from it. And it's only 3 minutes and change long.

15. RTZ

RTZ Forum Resident

I'm not obsessed with the drums. But simply pointing out that someone brought it late in the album sessions could help elevate the results.
    Regardless very happy with a new album!

Elliottmarx and simon1966 like this.
  16. RTZ

RTZ Forum Resident

I've had the opportunity to see Alan Parsons play in KC several times in recent years. Each time I've always thought that AP would be a great opener for ELO.

17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Thanks for posting this. Great news as I wasn’t expecting anything new from Jeff for at least another decade.:D

18. Houston_Music_Fan

Anyone care to speculate as to how this one will fare in the charts? AITU reached #23 on the Billboard 200, and that was before all the US touring of the last 2 years. I think this could be a hit for Jeff; hopefully some high profile tv appearances are already being lined up for November!

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that that big black pipe on the bottom right of the spaceship is for solid waste but it seems like a risky place to put it.

omikron, vzok, ptijerm and 1 other person like this.
  20. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Layered guitars, auto drumming, descending chords. Sounds like Jeff Lynne! Always good to hear new stuff from this guy. I saw him at Wembley a couple of years ago and it was one of the best shows ever.
    The album cover? Meh. It looks like every other ELO album. It's like the Beatles had carried on and every new album had them walking across Abbey Road wearing different clothes.

21. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

He had several TV performances for the last album. Since those are specifically for album promotion whereas the concerts are more for the hits, I wouldn't expect a big bump in sales of new releases due to touring.

22. RTZ

RTZ Forum Resident

Album charts and sales figures have been such a mess since music consumption went digital for the bulk of consumers. But hopefully the recent burst of ELO activity gives the new album some momentum.

Sadly the two local FM stations that will play ELO will most likely continue to ignore any new material.

23. Houston_Music_Fan

What I'm saying is that the tours must've helped get the name out there. He was playing mostly sold out arenas in the US in 2018/2019, whereas there had been a decades-long drought prior to AITU. Surely he's a bit fresher in the minds of the general public now. I'm just hoping it all works out in his favor and this album is a hit!

Troxad and RTZ like this.
  24. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Nice track but I agree with others who say he desperately needs someone to bounce some ideas off of.

25. Houston_Music_Fan

It's interesting that they chose to name the album after the first song/single. Is this a first in ELO history? By contrast, the song Alone in the Universe wasn't even released as a single, but it WAS (IMO) the best track on the album, and it was underplayed. Never performed live, as far as I know. The recorded version of it is heard during the closing credits of the Wembley or Bust Blu-ray.

PhoffiFozz and Troxad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.