Roland's favorite CD versions of Black Sabbath albums (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 16, 2011.

1. It goes without saying that I can send you samples... ;-)

2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I may be in the minority but I deleted the 2009 Deluxe version regular album discs from my IPhone and still roll with the original US WB versions. The 2009 still seem a bit harsh and loud to me but maybe I need to listen again. I was surprised to read how well regarded they are.

3. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Of Heaven and Hell?

Something isn’t right. The WB is tinny and bright. The 2009 is not harsh at all. Neither are loud.

Unless you burned that 2009 right from the disc itself, I’d look at your source as something might be mis-marked. I don’t know the first thing about listening to musc via a cell phone but the CD itself sounds full and dynamic. Right up there with the better vinyl versions.

4. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

No, of all of the Ozzy albums. Heaven and Hell never bothered me either but probably because I never compared it to another cd version. Obviously the vinyl kicks immense ass!

Like I said I probably need to listen to the Deluxe versions again.

5. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I see. Well, not all the Deluxe versions are recommend here.

6. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Yeah I believe I need to pick up the Heaven and Hell Deluxe. I have the Mob Rules and the excellent Hammersmith show but never got the H&H as the bonus stuff didn’t look great. In any case I have a 1993 German version on the way which will be an upgrade. The Deluxe versions of the Ozzy albums were good although I definitely need to turn the volume down for some of them.

7. damnit

damnit Great Cd Mastering Only Please

Lol
    That's digital compression for you :)
    The Deluxe Version which is not recommend for the most part is the 2009 Paranoid
    Disc 1 is ok I guess
    Disc 2 is liked
    and most don't like the DVD

Jam757 likes this.
  8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

My ears are sensitive to overly compressed music. Definitely more so than others but I definitely push the limits of “extremely f’n loud” listening!

9. damnit

This bands catalog is highly annoying on cd at this point
    Too much of the good, the bad etc are mixed on to different cd's
    My main thing is staying away from the overly compressed Castle 1996,Black Box
    and Rules of Hell sets

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Listening to the Mob Rules Deluxe CD right now. This is friggen excellent! I don’t think it beats the vinyl but well done. Also, I only have the Deluxe Editions of the first three Ozzy Sabbath albums so I have no opinion on the others.

damnit likes this.
  11. damnit

The Dio albums at least for the Original 3 including the Live Album is fairly easy.
    Most cd versions are decent to great
    Ozzy is a different story of course

Jam757 likes this.
  12. damnit

Can someone please talk about the CLC Castle discs
    I have a few of them
    They are a bit different from the Nelcd/Clacd discs
    Any info is welcome
    Not much has been posted about them
    I think they sound ok myself

13. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Roland's favorite CD versions of Black Sabbath albums
    read until about post #408.

Seems as at least for the first album "Castle NELCD 6002 synchs with the CLC 5035 (Castle Legends)". So same transfer and probably same EQ but different levels. By technical definition a different mastering since levels are part of the process.

There are bit's and pieces of info about some others:
    CLC Castle site:stevehoffman.tv - Google Search

14. damnit

15. damnit

I did see most of that info already
    But it is a bit frustrating that with all these different releases,no one has had much to say about them!!!!
    I did compare SBS to the 86 and they defintley have different EQ levels to them
    the 86 sounds less futzed with.
    But it seems otherwise the volume going louder as the tracks progress is still there etc

16. The 1986 Castle Legends CLC copy I have of Paranoid is definitely different from the 1986 Castle CD. Probably the same transfer, but the 1991 is brighter than the properly de-emphasized 1986 CD and different from the non-de-emphasized 1986 CD. rnranimal and me both compared them and suspect that the 1991 might be remastered from the non-de-emphasized 1986 CD, and not in a good way. The 1986 is clearly better.

Dave likes this.
  17. First of all, I really think these albums need to be discussed separately. As we have pointed out numerous times before in this thread, the 2009 Paranoid, TE and NSD CDs are actually bad-sounding and (for whatever reason) NOT sourced from Pearce's masterings. Of the Ozzy albums, only the s/t, MOR, Vol4, SBS and Sabotage 2009 CDs are, IMO, worth checking out, and even between these five, there are significant differences in quality. Also, since you mentioned HaH and MR as well, the 2009 of those two are great IMO (even though for the MR, many people prefer the original WB - I haven't made up my mind between them yet).
    Second (and back to the Ozzy albums, since I haven't really listened to the HaH and MR WB CDs), some of the original WB CDs are, IMO, really bad masterings; if you dislike compression so much that the 2009 (which are rather lightly compressed IMO) are a no-go for you, then I would still strongly recommend looking for upgrades over the WB CDs - except for Sabotage (where the WB is great) and maybe TE and NSD (of which no entirely satisfying CD release exists anyway).

18. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

Of the original WB cd’s, only some are well regarded here... Sabotage, Technical Ecstasy and NSD spring to mind. Others, such as Volume 4 are an abomination! I prefer a mix of the WB’s, 86’Castles, Intercord, 2009’s and Spectrum releases for my collection.

19. damnit

Sounds Like a Plan :)

Music_dude likes this.
  20. The Paranoid original WB CD is really bad too IMO.

Dave and Music_dude like this.
  21. Music_dude

You’re right! I forgot about that one...

22. damnit

What about the S/T and MOR?

23. Music_dude

They’re not the greatest on WB, either. I’d recommend the 2009’s for those titles.

24. ...and the SACDs are even much better. :)

Music_dude likes this.
  25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Actually, HH deluxe is really boosted in the bass. The 32PD-129 is more balanced. My favorite version now.