Who were the drunkest performers you saw on stage?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spencer1, Sep 26, 2019.

1. faskenite

faskenite Forum Resident

No contest. Jaco Pastorious during a Weather Report show at Convocation Hall at the University of Toronto in 77 or 78. So wasted that he fell over and kept playing a solo flat on his back. Afterward I heard horror stories about the anger within the band backstage over the matter. Jaco still played brilliantly throughout, by the way. Maybe it would have been better if he hadn’t. A beautiful player and a tremendous loss.

mikmcmee, DrJ, ropiyas and 10 others like this.
  2. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Easterhouse in 1987 (or 1988?), the day before they broke up (or did they all quit but one? I don't recall). To get some posters signed (1981 vintage, wink) I went backstage after the show, which was poorly attended and very unpopular indeed with some in the audience, after a particular act by the singer. They were as drunk as skunks and not particularly engaging.

3. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Some good answers I will have to agree with!

Shane Macgowan- Of course. A few Pogues shows. Always wasted. Always brilliant.
    Arthur Lee- San Francisco 2002 after being released from jail. He was hammered, feisty, and out of key! 2 nights later he was sober and brilliant!
    Ian McCulloch- met him after the show and he was really drunk. The show was great though. You could barely tell.
    Evan Dando- Always wasted every time I have seen him (if he shows up), but I think he is dealing with much more than just alcohol.
    Anton Newcombe (Brian Jonestown Massacre)- Same as Evan. massive amounts of drugs and booze. He is now sober and I am happy for him, but the shows are not as exciting. You never knew what would happen when he was messed up.

4. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Junior Wells. Only played a few notes on his harp, propositioned a waitress from the stage (lewdly), and nearly kept from falling down all night.

DTK likes this.
  5. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

One of the saddest things I ever read on this forum was about John Martyn. Someone wrote that they were at a pub near closing time. They saw an overweight man in a wheelchair, rolling around from table to table. He was drinking the dregs of beer left in glasses on the tables as people shuffled out. Then they realized it was John Martyn. How sad.

I loved his early work so much it was tragic to think of him in such a state. Alcoholism strips you of everything including your dignity.

6. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Yes quite a few artists mentioned on this thread had notorious heroin habits. The slurring and stumbling around on opiates looks a lot like drunkenness.

7. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

It wasn't on stage, but back in 1989 Stevie Nicks rented the mansion she had recorded "The Other Side of the Mirrior" in for one night for the listening party. Around an hour or two in, Billy Idol showed up, blitzed out of his mind.
    He proceeded to pee in the bushes, then fall in to the pool (the same one that is featured in Stevie's "Rooms On Fire" video!).

8. big sciota

big sciota Forum Resident

Jerry Jeff for me to0. 1977 or so opening for Willie in Charlotte.

9. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Oh, I just remembered. Steve Marriott was quite drunk for a gig in Bloomington, Illinois back in the eighties. Great show but man he was drunk.

10. Veni Vidi Vici

Oh yeah, how could I forget? Amy Winehouse at Lollapalooza 2007. She was definitely out of it, yet this is considered one of her best performances. Hmm, not the way I remember it at all.

squittolo likes this.
  11. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Wow! No one has seen Hank Williams Jr. ? I saw him a few times in the late 80's and he was at least half drunk at all of them. His perfomances were pretty good overall and had a good band. I kind of enjoyed the shows and his occasional shout-outs were amusing. On a side note a relative was a hotel maintenance man and was sent to Hank's room to fix a lamp. He was laid out on the bed nearly passed out and was cussing the lamp that was unplugged.

12. Veni Vidi Vici

OMG I wish I had something like that on my brothers.

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The Saints. Came all the way over to play an SxSW backyard party in 2009, got into the margaritas beforehand. Still played a really good set.

Dale Watson numerous times. Ditto on the good set.

Mick Fleetwood and Peter Bardens on a tour together in 1988. Mick was fed beer by an assistant through the set.

squittolo, WithinYourReach and DTK like this.
  14. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Barry Manilow, lol

zebop and acetboy like this.
  15. bgart13

bgart13 Forum Resident

Rachel Nagy from Detroit Cobras.
    Lux Interior.
    Andre Williams.

And then who knows how many punk, garage and rock’n’roll bands I’ve seen that were trashed but appeared “functional” on stage.

16. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Shane Macgowan at Pinkpop

squittolo likes this.
  17. Tullhead

Tullhead Forum Resident

Waysted by name, wasted by nature. Supporting Dio in Liverpool in 1983. Embarrassing.

18. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Jeff Tweedy had definitely had too much of something when I saw Wilco about 15 years ago

19. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

El Duce - The Mentors, at Raji's, in Hollywood (mid 1980s?).
    Passing out, fell off his drum kit , his homeboy (roadie?) yanked off his black hood and rolled him over on his side so he wouldn't choke on his on vomit I guess, and that dude put on the black hood and took over 'vocals' ... The Show Must Go On!

20. Christian Söderholm

Christian Söderholm Well-Known Member

Eddie Vedder drank 4 full bottles of red wine when I saw Pearl Jam play Stockholm in 2012. But he wasn’t still really drunk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Citrus, blind_melon1 and squittolo like this.
  21. Christian Söderholm

Christian Söderholm Well-Known Member

But Ryan Adams early in his career. Drank Kahlúa from the bottle. He WAS pretty drunk.

TheWickerMan, hiterss and squittolo like this.
  22. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Normalcy runs in the family, eh?
    Do The Collapse

23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

This has to be mine, too, just because it was Shane MacGowan and he is who he is on stage. I was actually having trouble thinking of an example until I saw your post, which reminded me “oh yeah, duh, you saw the Pogues...” I guess it didn’t really stand out because it’s what you expect.

And, yeah, the guy didn’t miss a lyric. Just is who he is.

john lennonist likes this.
  24. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Phil Anselmo, Pantera 2001. He was absolutely munted, breaking bottles on stage and baiting the crowd. Of course at the time he was dealing with back pain and possible heroin problems.

Josh Homme, QOTSA 2018. He was quite drunk towards the end of the show. I was actually worried that he might not be ok.

25. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Courtney Love/Hole at the Camden Underground, she seemed to be rather wasted.