Ripping Blu-ray audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hbbfam, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

I purchased the Abbey Rd SDE for my daughter. I would like to download the BR disc onto my harddrive. Is there a software program (preferably free) that will accomplish this?

2. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

bru87tr likes this.
  3. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

There is a fair amount on this already in the forum if you use the search function. DVD Audio Extractor works but cannot bypass copy protection as found on most commercially available Blu Rays. MakeMKV is one useful way of backing up a a disc minus encryption / copy protection.

Personally, I use the backup function of MakeMKV to copy the disc to my hard drive and then either DVD Audio Extractor or Audiomuxer to extract and tag the resultant audio files. There are simpler / more complex ways of doing it than that but I haven’t been defeated yet, so I am sticking with that.

4. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Another vote for MakeMKV and Audiomuxer. They work well.

pscreed likes this.
  5. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor do the job.

JorgeGvb, Instant Dharma, gd0 and 2 others like this.
  6. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

What is the difference between the backup option and regular open disc method with MakeMKV? Would both work with DVD Audio Extractor? Any quality difference?

7. Eric Qel-Droma

Eric Qel-Droma Forum Resident

I rip stuff with MakeMKV all the time. My Abbey Road SDR wouldn't rip tonight. It got about 95% of the way through the file and then hanged. I tried three or four times. No luck.

8. Sevoflurane

The backup option decrypts the disc and copies the entire file structure of the disc to your hard drive. DVD Audio Extractor can extract audio from these files. I am not sure what you mean by regular open disc method, but other ripping options in MakeMKV create an MKV file. I haven’t tried using DVDAE to extract from this, but I suspect it can’t. Audiomuxer can extract from an MKV file.

9. hbbfam

With MakeMKV I can rip the Abbey BR directly to my hard drive? Then I need to convert the MKV files to wav?

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Is your version up-to-date?

FWIW, I haven't tried to decrypt (not rip) Abbey Road with MakeMKV yet.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Again as mentioned above, decrypt with MakeMKV, then convert to flac (or whatever) with something like DVD Audio Extractor. It makes no sense to convert to wav rather to flac, but to each his own.

This stuff has been covered in previous threads if you do a search.

12. hbbfam

I have an external read only blu ray player. Will this software allow me to copy to my hard drive

13. uburoibob

uburoibob Forum Resident

So...has anyone been able to actually rip Abbey Road? I want to use the BACKUP function of MakeMKV, but I get this error with the latest version of Make MKV:

The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
    Failed to open disc

I use Blu Ray Player Pro on my Mac and for all the other Beatles BluRays have been able to simply copy them to my computer, then play them in surround.

Abbey Road, of course, isn't working due to its new copy protection scheme. I don't need to convert it to FLAC. Just make a copy without the protection

Dillydipper likes this.
  14. revolversoul

revolversoul Forum Resident

I was able to rip AR blu ray with MakeMKV version 1.14.4. I basically did a backup of the disk, and then used EAC to extract the audio files.

15. uburoibob

uburoibob Forum Resident

OK, I jumped the gun, reading the progress report. The BACKUP function worked just fine. I can play the surround tracks (as well as the rest of the Blu Ray material) right from my hard drive. Sorry for any confusion.

16. Karl Salnoske

Karl Salnoske Member

I'm trying to use MakeMKV (which I use regularly to rip 4K BluRays) and either AudioMuxer or EAC to do the extract from Backup copy of BlueRay Audio disc that offers 2 channel PCM, 5.1 DD, and 5.1DTS MA. In the case of AudioMuxer I can split the tracks into FLAC files which are 24/48 PCM and 6 channels (5.1) but when I stream them to my multi-channel receiver the channels aren't mapped correctly.

As for EAC, I don't see any option to do anything with the MakeMKV backup. EAC defaults to wanting to read files off my BluRay drive and the only other options I see are in the tools menu and there it will only open WAV files. There aren't any WAV files in the Backup created by MakeMKV, so how are you processing the MKV backup file in EAC to get it to extract the surround tracks and are you getting 5.1 WAV files?

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm curious about this as well. I do not have anything but external read only Blu-ray players as well.

18. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I haven't had a channel mapping problem in over a decade. It is probably a streaming problem. Have you loaded the file in Audacity to see if it looks correct. The center and sub channels on the graph will look different and should be the third and fourth tracks.

19. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

An external read only or recorder, USB drive for a PC, is what you need.

marcb, RockAddict and Bill Mac like this.
  20. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

I currently use a: Verbatim 43890 External Slimline Mobile USB 3.0 Blu-ray Writer

Although now an older model (3 yrs+), it works well and is definitely compatible when using MKV in a typical Windows 10 setup, via USB, reading Blu-rays without any problem (as well as DVDs and CDs). Although the drive is designed to be powered by either mains power OR a second USB cable, I found it was more reliable when mains powered.

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

22. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Found this thread.
    DVDFab Passkey doesn't do anything after upgrading my laptop to W10. Just keeps going forever at the bottom /right of the screen. Doesn't decrypt.
    The same Blu-ray audio disc could be decrypted earlier. Any ideas?
    I typically used DVD Audio Extractor or audiomuxer after decryption.

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This was the first thing I thought of: that this title in particular has managed to give several members here trouble which may discourage the noob from attempting it. Might want to do a search on this particular issue and instance, before proceeding, in case others have come up with verifiable and consistent problems and solutions. Otherwise, you could be sitting at your workstation all night, wondering, "Wha-hoppin'...?"*

(*R.I.P. Fred...:shh: )

Instant Dharma likes this.
  24. Sevoflurane

Have you updated DVDFab? Updates are made available regularly. If that fails, MakeMKV works on Windows 10. Use MakeMKV’s backup function to do the decryption and you can the use DVDAE afterwards as you have been doing.

formu_la likes this.
  25. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Yes, updates happen often. MakeMKV process is quite slow if I remember correctly. I tried it long time ago.
    Thanks anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.