Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

This begs the question, does the uncompressed version of "Listen To What The Man Said" exist on CD or do all "greatest hits" issues used the squashed V&M master?

joy stinson and Lewisboogie like this.
  2. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Thank you so much for your persistence in this research. MPL admits that the files called "unlimited" are limited and tries to justify it. If they want to release limited only files, that would be disappointing, but fine as long as they are honest about it. Calling these limited files "unlimited" is inexcusable in my book.

3. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Actually, based on the their description they are artistically compressed, which is common in almost every mastering scenario of the past 30 years, if I was a betting man, I would guess all of the past unlimited McCartney releases went through an analog compressor of some sort in the mastering chain.

It does not sound like are limited however which is what most folks on the forum can’t stand. Digital Range Limiting for loudness is very different from using a compressor in the mastering stage. So I do not think they are being disingenuous at all.

joy stinson and Lewisboogie like this.
  4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Have you seen the waveform for Night Out? I mean, one could argue that ALL compression/limiting is artistic. But there are masterings out there that have no limiting/additional compression beyond that that is baked into the master. These masterings add more limiting, which means that they aren't "unlimited" or "as limited as the earlier masterings" which, I suspect, is how most of us have interpreted their description of these versions in the past.

joy stinson, theMess and supermd like this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The new "unlimited" remasters of Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway in no way resemble the previously-excellent, truly unlimited Archive masterings, not only in being limited in actuality, but also in the care used in EQ on the mastering in general. A shame.

The recent remaster for Wide Prairie was also a major disappointment, in that they just remastered the existing digital files used on the 1998 CD, keeping the LOUDNESS intact. Bad form, MPL. I'm nervous for future archive remasters.

6. Remember, though, that the remasters of Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway on HDTracks appear to be truly unlimited.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

No, they are not. I, as a sucker, bought RRS from HDTracks, just to double check. They are the same.

mozz, Paul H and Lewisboogie like this.
  8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

That sucks, the unlimited hires remasters have been the highlight of the series. I wonder if there was a change in remastering staff, else why would they suddenly change approach? I don’t think MPL would get into this level of detail.

I still haven’t downloaded my hires RRS but will soon give it a try.

supermd likes this.
  9. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

Yes, the remastering team has changed. At first it was done by Sam Okell and Steve Rooke, but the last couple of reissues were done by Alex Wharton and Steve Orchard. The change is not for the better in my opinion and ears.

10. Really? I thought it was posted on this thread that they were unlimited by people here who did comparisons?

I looked on HDTracks and they are not marketing the RSS and WL files as unlimited, but only as “Deluxe Editions.”

Lewisboogie likes this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I was the one who made those initial claims, and that was based off listening to the samples. Once I downloaded them, they turned out to be identical.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  12. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

You know, I think I prefer the rough mixes of the Wild Life tracks in most cases. The normal speed vocals on Tomorrow, the backing "oohs" on Wild Life, everything about Dear Friend, the trumpet solo in Some People Never Know. Really great stuff.

13. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

You are not alone, me too.

beatlesfan9091 and Lewisboogie like this.
  14. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

These rough mixes are a delight.

15. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Listening to the double album version of Red Rose Speedway tonight, how amazing would this had been?

Eska68, JDeanB, andrewskyDE and 10 others like this.
  16. Crap. Wish I had not sold my FAME Wild Life after all.

joy stinson and sonnyrock like this.
  17. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

I kept mine! Love the 2-CD RRS. Wild Life is not a favorite.

18. MadFloyd

MadFloyd Forum Resident

would?

19. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Good point! But at the time I wonder how well this would have favored, it’s such a great double album.

tug_of_war likes this.
  20. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Personally, I think it was the right decision to pare it down to a single album. I just think they picked the wrong tracks for the single LP.

joy stinson, TimM, Tord and 10 others like this.
  21. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

I was surprised at how good I think the "Wild Life" remaster is. It's kind of a low fi album, I had low expectations. I prefer it to "Red Rose Speedway". Also, I prefered the "Pipes of Peace" remaster to the remix of "Tug of War", I'm met with the total opposite of what I expected to be my favorite.

joy stinson, tug_of_war and omikron like this.
  22. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

I too really like the Pipes Of Peace remaster. I'm in a minority as always loving the album and the remaster makes it even smoother.

joy stinson, tug_of_war and omikron like this.
  23. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

Night Out
    Get On The Right Thing
    Country Dreamer
    Big Barn Bed
    Little Lamb Dragonfly

Seaside Woman
    When The Night
    Mama's Little Girl
    I Would Only Smile
    Medley

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

“My Love” does not make your grade?

25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Obviously I didn't make that list, but I can get behind not including My Love. The song sticks out a bit on the album. Not so much that it's totally out of place, but I think if I were making a single LP, I'd probably cut it out too and let it be the a-side of a standalone single. Maybe throw Jazz Street on the b-side.