VMP November Record of the Month: Songs for the Deaf

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeremy B., Sep 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Anyone scoped a review for the Dolphy 'Out There' on the site (or anywhere else?)?

2. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

You're taking my post out of context. I was replying to @mpayan :

3. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Ahh, right. Fair enough.

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I wonder which version Songs for the Deaf will be based on (the original US and EU/UK LPs were different), or is it some new configuration? The artwork shown is the same as the CD, while both original LP releases had unique art.

5. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

It looks looks vmp does not ship to NZ so I won't have access to either release. This is an example of why this kind of limited setup is so annoying. But I'm picking songs for the deaf will be coming in a wide release soon enough.

mpayan likes this.
  6. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Wow, those are interesting selections!

7. Bubbakja

Bubbakja Forum Resident

QOTSA posted the album directly today along with Rated R, Era Vulgaris, and Lullabyes to Paralyze. Music

Black Stripes and mikeburns like this.
  8. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

R: Includes 'Ode to Clarissa'
    SFTD: No bonus tracks/Spanish 'Gonna Leave You'
    Lullabies: Includes vinyl-only bonus tracks
    Era: First time on 1xLP, rather than 3x10"

All albums use CD cover art.

Curious to see how far the price drops for SFTD on Amazon. Currently, VMP was a better deal, even with a grandfathered month-to-month sub.

Black Stripes and mikeburns like this.
  9. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Listening to Side A now. It sounds very nice. It's not a demo disc; the mix is still congested but it's given more room to breathe here, which helps make this a more transparent, detailed listen than the CD. The bass packs a very nice bunch. The drums do sound a little bit buried here and there, but overall, I'm very pleased.

The sleeve is excellent: sturdy cardboard with embossed images, and the records come in poly-lined sleeves. And the pressing quality appears to be great too. I didn't here a single tick on Side A.

10. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

Any idea if the mass-produced SFTD will also be the Bellman cut?

11. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

My VMP Edition arrived yesterday, very nicely done ✅

12. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

I think so because it would be too costly having cut another set of lacquers, produce different stampers etc.

WillieDaPimp likes this.
  13. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

CB's initials are not on the VMP SFTD. Doesn't mean he didn't master it but I'm surprised they are not there.

14. Jeremy B.

The sleeve also credits someone else from Bernie Grundman as the mastering engineer, so it seems unlikely Chris Bellman cut this record.

15. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Which is odd since VMP explicitly stated he was doing it.

16. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

What is the mastering etc like on songs for the deaf?

17. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

The credits have always stated "Mastered By: Brian Gardner at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood CA".
    "Mastered By" does not mean "Cut by": Such credits mostly refer to the "main" mastering and creation of digital files which the lacquers are cut from afterwards. The cutting engineers themselves remain often uncredited. In this case Brian Gardner also cut the lacquers for the original U.S. pressing on Ipecac Records though.

VMP would not have stated it if it is not the case for this reissue. Pretty sure Chris Bellman could sue them for that. Interscope/UMG might have not allowed a signature by the engineer - which would have been pretty stupid as "CB" stands for quality.

18. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

Aside from being more quiet than my US original I am not sure this pressing is that drastic of an improvement... any body else compare the two and care to opine?

19. Jeremy B.

Is it an improvement at all? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how they compare. I think for most buyers the issue was less improving on the original pressing and more being able to get an official copy for less than $300.

Krzych, DHamilton and ScienceFriction like this.
  20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

huh? they're not the same thing. this states explicitly that CB cut the vinyl.

21. Jeremy B.

No, they are not the same thing. VMP stated that CB cut the vinyl, but neither the deadwax nor the packaging gives any indication that that is actually true, and Chris Bellman as far as I know always leaves his signature in the deadwax, so I'm disinclined to believe the advertising.

22. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Chris Bellman addressed this in the QOTSA thread:
    Queens of the Stone Age - Vinyl Reissues Coming

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it's been cleared up now by chris himself, but as far as your AFAIK comment: that's not true. there are plenty of records at least technically cut by him that do not contain his initials.

24. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Is this Songs For The Deaf much more dynamic than the original CD?
    Thanks.

25. AKdot

AKdot Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I received my Songs For The Deaf aaaaaand huge seam split. I contacted customer services four times to try and get a replacement/refund/other record and I couldn't even get a response. I won't be bothering with VMP again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.