30-disc studio & live box coming from Gentle Giant

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crestfallen

Crestfallen Active Member

Thank you for the clarification!

2. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

At this price, one would expect the boxset to have minimal omissions. I can live without vinyl transfers as they are usually cr*p but as a minimum, original flat transfer should be included.

I bought the Three Piece Suite on aBR out of curiosity and was very happy with the inclusion of the original flat transfers. My hope to see In the Glass House and Freehand individually released and remixed by SW has now vanished. I will probably buy some individual items from the box when and if available. Don’t count me in for live sets with subpar sound quality.

3. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

It's doubtful the multis for In A Glass House will ever be found, but Dan Bornemark has digital transfers of the Free Hand multis. And as Steven Wilson is now married with two young stepdaughters, I fully expect his touring to slow down and scale back. I'm hoping this means he'll devote more time to mixing others' work. With any luck, that will include more Gentle Giant.

mark winstanley, Norco74 and Dok like this.
  4. fjtull

fjtull Forum Resident

So, sorry if this has already been solved.
    I have found another SH forum on this new box topic, but i found that it is not populated.

At the time of the Three Piece Suite , two years ago, the word was that all the others multitracks tapes were lost.

Anyone knows what this is about?
    Have they found them in order to remix the first abum?

We can hope also the same for the other albums?

many thanks

5. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

It is indeed something that needs an answer.
    Guess you are talking about the multitracks for the first album!?
    As the first album is the only one included in this box as a surround mix.
    I know that Dan Bornemark had the multis,
    but in a lower resolution than what Wilson would like to work with.

mark winstanley and JediJoker like this.
  6. fjtull

fjtull Forum Resident

Yes I am talking abut the forst album.
    Only three tracks were on The 3 part suit BluRay...

Let's hope someone has the answer; if it is YES, they found the missing multitracks, maybe they have found also the others for the other albums

7. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Gentle Giant Remasters (Part 3)

JediJoker likes this.
  8. fjtull

fjtull Forum Resident

Many thanks for this. Very interesting. Nevertheless, he says that already "back in 1996" he found the complete 16 tracks tapes front the first album. While from the second and the third albums he found just the multitracks that we had in 2017 on th 3 piece suite. So, if I am not wrong with my english understanding, in 2017 Steven Wilson too had all the tapes to remix the first album... My question is alive... Anyone have more insight? Many thanks

9. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I had high hopes for this box set, but i have zero interest in audience recordings, let alone buying the original albums again. The price is way too high for me, as the only things i would like to have are the remixed Playing the Fool shows, and maybe the book.

I didn't buy the 38 disc Woodstock set, and i won't be getting this, or Pink Floyd's Later Years box set.

Juggsnelson, Pete Puma and Norco74 like this.
  10. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Dont think Wilson had all the tapes (if we are talking about Dans tapes)
    From what I remember Dan was very surpriced by this, as he says the band knew he had the tapes. But no one contacged him regarding this. Maybe they forgot he had them. But at that stage it was to late to change anything.

JediJoker and Dok like this.
  11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

That's where I am at...if these weren't audience live albums I would probably bite but I'm not paying that kind of money for one remixed album and a bunch of audience tapes being the only new material.

12. Dok

Dok Senior Member

From the GG FB page -

The band wanted to say a quick thank you to all for your support. We’re very grateful for the fantastic response to the ‘Unburied Treasure’ box set. Madfish has informed us that it’s their fastest selling deluxe set to date! Here is the picture of the first box, which arrived for inspection before the other 1,999 are made and delivered.

[​IMG]

13. fjtull

fjtull Forum Resident

Thanks, that's very reasonable. So, fingers crossed for the future remixes

fRa likes this.
  14. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Any recordings of this ?

15. If you can put up with the quality of this interview and the recurrent gurgling toilet sounds and make up 50% of what Derek says here...

Otherwise the recollection I was looking for, perhaps from Ray, which left a very different feeling, closer to what I was hinting at, seems unavailable at the moment - I think it was on the GG tour page history (http://www.ggtourhistory.50webs.com/), which is unavailable at the moment, perhaps because it looks like it has been included precisely in the material from this 30-disc collection release...

phillyal1 likes this.
  16. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I meant Simon Dupree. in concert - BBC SESSIONS with Elton ?

ParloFax likes this.
  17. Dok

Dok Senior Member

[​IMG]

18. Sorry, I can't see what you posted (symbol + IMG)...

19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So has anyone here preordered it?

20. Dok

Dok Senior Member

21. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Yeppy

JediJoker and noname74 like this.
  22. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

23. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Weird. I've been having the same problem with some other folks posting pictures but I can see the above one in both places here.

24. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Did it yesterday. Can`t wait !!!!!

noname74 likes this.
  25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

This is really interesting, and a little disappointing.
    I would love the 5.1 of the debut .... I have all the albums. Some of the bits and pieces might be interesting, but essentially for me, I'd be paying two hundred and fifty pounds for one disc....

Runicen, fRa and MoonPool like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.