Marantz SA-10 CD/SACD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill Mac, Jul 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Communication via email.

Slippers-on likes this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Cambridge Audio had engineer Douglas Self on its books. He was very involved in some of their previous designs.

I think, if they needed to, they might always go back to him too. Unless he's retired as well!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  3. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Speaking of Marantz I spent yesterday listening to Polk's new speaker line, which will be officially announced in September. Some of the speakers were demo'd on the PM10 and SA10. I think Polk has some winners in this new series.

ayrehead, bradleyc, c-eling and 2 others like this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

Been enjoying some time playing music today with the rain coming down. Been in a jazz trio type of mood. Listened to Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio's Falling In Love With Love and St. Elmo CDs. Excellent recordings from one of my favorite pianists. Now I'm listening to Bill Evans' You Must Believe In Spring SHM-SACD. What an excellent sounding SHM-SACD! Bill would be my favorite pianist.

Although quite expensive I'm very glad I went all in with the SA-10, no regrets :).

5. Bill Mac

I'm listening to Boz Scagg's S/T Audio Fidelity SACD as I type. Loan Me A Dime is one of the most epic rock songs of all time IMO. Boz Scagg's vocals along with Duane Allman's incredible guitar has never sounded so good :righton:!

6. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Enjoy mi man..enjoy!

Bill Mac likes this.
  7. lapepalz

lapepalz Forum Resident

Hi Bill do you think sa-10 is berree than Oppo? Thanks

8. Bill Mac

Thank you!
    I do think the SA-10 sounds better than the Oppo 205. If I have the time I'll connect the SA-10 and the 205 to my preamp using RCA cables and do a direct comparison. The differences aren't huge but very obvious IMO.

9. lapepalz

lapepalz Forum Resident

Thank you !!!!

10. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I started another thread on streaming and discussing Pandora. My Marantz NA-6006 came in and when I stream Pandora, the streamer does not tell me the bit rate that is streaming. As Pandora's "general rule" is any desktop component only gets 128 Kbps, I suppose that what I am getting. I have sent numerous messages to Pandora explaining this is a high quality streamer, it should be considered a "computer," as they maintain if we use a computer, we get 192 Kbps, but I cannot reach anyone at Pandora that knows squat or is interested in finding out, all they say is we are so sorry for any inconvenience, but we no longer support your product, which we know is simply talking points. When I pull Pandora up on my computer and go to my account, the switch is set to HIGH resolution, same with my HEOS app on the phone, set to HIGH resolution, but I have no way to determine what the stream is. I do get information when I use Tune In, the Internet radio, it tells every channel and what the bit rate is, but not Pandora. I wanted to ask you if your Marantz piece shows what stream you are getting with Pandora.

Here is Pandora's statement:

1. Mobile device: 62 Kbps

2. Desktop electronics: 128 Kbps

3. Computer: 192 Kbps

I am not aware of anyone getting higher bit rate than the above.

Happy listening!

11. Slippers-on

Looks like you're fixed at 128 kbps. Its considered an in home device. The Marantz doesn't have a web browser which would send info to the web server.... so you cant get the best quality. Its all a software issue so no matter how much consumers complain, until Pandora changes the settings in the server its fixed.

Litejazz53 and rebellovw like this.
  12. Litejazz53

You are the ONLY one who could explain this, I appreciate your input! Now I know where I am, and it's not in a good place. :shake:

Slippers-on likes this.
  13. Duane's guitar sounds absolutely mind-blowing on that SACD. It practically sounds like you're in the studio with him recording it.

Bill Mac likes this.
  14. Bill Mac

I just listened to Patricia Barber's Companion MFSL SACD and it sounded incredible! An excellent sounding SACD but with the SA-10 it's the best I've ever heard it. Now I'm playing the Cafe' Blue Un-Mastered Premonition SACD. This SACD also sounds outstanding!

15. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

There is a REST api that is probably being used that does report back the different quality options per song that are available. I wouldn’t count it out as not being able to use the full kbps they have available for a song.

One of these days I’ll try to play with Pydora with python that I believe uses this.

Also I highly doubt someone would be able to differentiate 128 vs 192. I was jamming Pandora last night and the quality was just fantastic through the Marantz DAC.

16. Slippers-on

Yep..info is sent back to the servers that host the music....no different than any web server we used at work that collected info on devices on its network. I've listened to Pandora on my Marantz streamer and it sounds great!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  17. Louise P

Louise P Well-Known Member

Hi,

Could somebody please tell me if the SA10 supports gapless playback from files on a drive connected to the USB port? I'm not meaning files streamed from a computer, I'm referring to plugging in a USB drive or thumbdrive and using the SA10 to navigate and play them. I'm actually thinking of taking the plunge on a SA KI Ruby which is based on the same technology (no way can I afford an SA10), but if it cannot play music files with no gaps then that is a huge negative for me. Gapless support might depend on the format - I'd be using lossless, most probably WAV. I've asked this question of Marantz tech support and they said 'no, it doesn't support gapless MP3 playback' which isn't what I asked. I'd have to drive 200 miles to test this out in person. No Marantz dealer closer.

18. Litejazz53

I am giving you everything our owners manual gives us, and it does not appear it answers your question.

0 Playing back music stored on a USB memory device. 0 Only USB memory devices conforming to mass storage class standards can be played on this unit. 0 This unit is compatible with USB memory devices in “FAT16” or “FAT32” format. 0 This unit can play back the following files. 0 MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/FLAC/ALAC/AIFF/DSD

Playing files stored on USB memory devices 1 Connect the USB memory device to the USB port. (v p. 9) 2 Press DISC/INPUT to select the playback media mode to “iPod/USB”. 0 When the menu’s “Resume Play” (v p. 27) is on, playback starts automatically. 3 Press o. The file/folder list appears in the display of this unit. 0 The file/folder list can also be displayed by pressing 2 to stop the playback. 4 Use ui to select the folder, then press ENTER. 5 Use ui to select the file, then press ENTER. Playback starts. Operation buttons Function 1 Playback 3 Pause 2 Stop 8, 9 Skip to previous track / Skip to next track (Press and hold) Fast-reverse / Fast-forward o Moving up a level in the folder tree u i Select the item ENTER Enter the selected item / Playback REPEAT Repeat playback 0 Switching between All-track repeat and Single-track repeat. RANDOM Random playback MODE/TRIM Switch to Folder playback mode 0 Switching between “Folder” or “All” mode. INFO Switch the display between the elapsed playback time and text information. ENGLISH 18 Overview Connections Playback Setting

19. Louise P

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this. But I agree with you that it doesn't answer this specific question. I am slightly agog that this isn't mentioned in any of the reviews I can find of either the SA10 or KI Ruby. I would have thought this was quite a fundamental ask.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  20. Litejazz53

Next week I would review the various Marnatz dealers, and when you find a long term dealer, give them a call. I called their customer service for something and it was apparent they simply read off a sheet, in other words, "clucks" You know I have found that most technical questions are just above the heads of most dealers, and yes there are exceptions, and even Marantz let's you down. Good luck with your question, someone, SOMEWHERE knows! Shoot Bill Mac a PM, he knows everything and he has an SA-10.

21. Louise P

Sorry but another question - what is the disc loading time like on the SA10 for standard red book CDs? Slow??

22. Litejazz53

8 seconds almost exactly. The thing about the SA-10 you should know, it does everything right, everything. Track maneuvering is extremely fast, buttons have multi functions, unlike the PS Audio Memory Player I had, the DAC is just flawless with every input. It's truly a top shelf piece of electronics, the only player I have seen built to these standards would be the Sony SCD-1, but it's track record with laser pickups was not good at all, let's hope the Marantz is much better, so far it has proved to be absolutely the best SACD player I have owned, operation is dead silent, every function smooth as silk, yep, this one makes the grade. :agree:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    dougotte, c-eling and Slippers-on like this.
  23. Louise P

Thank you. I read a review which suggested it was much longer. I have PM'd Bill Mac about the other thing as you suggested.
    I really want to like the KI Ruby. Given my location, I'm probably going to have to buy it on a 14-day trial period rather than travel to a dealer, hence why I want to get some of the technical questions answered before I decide. Once I am satisfied that the only obstacle to buying one is whether it sounds any good, I can work out whether to jump. The sound is the only thing I can't make a decision on based on reviews!

I've only ever had Marantz CD players and I love them. I had the original CD63 (the 1983 model that was only available in champagne gold) but that was faulty from day one, so after lots of trips back to the dealer they eventually agreed to swap it out. By that time the black CD63B was on the market - if my understanding is correct this had a better DAC, so in the end the swap worked to my advantage. In 1997 I upgraded to the CD63 KI Signature (which is a COMPLETELY different player - I always found it odd that they re-used the CD63 model name). That is what I still have! So, do you reckon the KI Ruby, at 4.5 times the price (allowing for inflation) and being 22 years more technologically advanced, will outperform the '63? I think I know the answer to that!!!!

24. Bill Mac

The load time for all discs is quick IMO. Close the disc tray and then hit play to initiate playback is about 7 seconds. I'll get back to you further on your PM.

I'm not sure how dealers work in the UK. But I bought an open box SA-10 from Safe and Sound for $3900 shipped. Safe and Sound is an authorized dealer in the US. The SA-10 was as new with a full manufacturers warranty. I was looking to buy the Ruby but got the SA-10 for $100 less. It was and easy choice. So you could check with dealers in the UK to see if they discount for open box (returns) for the SA-10 or the Ruby.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  25. fromparis

fromparis New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I'm new on this forum and I'm sorry for my English because I'm writing from France.
    I just have bought this SA 10 and I wonder if mine is fine or not because I notice 2 things :
    1. At the beginning of every CD listening there is a small "TAC" sound before the song starts.
    2.When I'm listening a DVD burnt with mp3, flac or dsf files I heard this "TAC" before starting every song on the DVD it's very unpleasant.
    I ask my dealer but he doesn't know if it's a flaw or not.

So if people who own this SA 10 could give me some information regarding what I observe I will thank them a lot.

I will be a pleasure to hear you. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.