What are your feelings about McIntosh?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lebowski, Sep 28, 2019.

1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Very few names in high end audio can compete with the sound quality, reliability, aesthetics, and value of a Mac amp or preamp.

2. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here! Thread Starter

I think it’s kinda cool looking. The meter might be a little gratuitous. Not the kinda price point I would ever consider for a turntable (or any audio gear) but cool nonetheless.

3. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here! Thread Starter

“Musical” is a good word to describe my initial impression of the 6100 (before it freaked out LOL). It had an impressive clarity and nice imaging.

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've owned a decent amount of McIntosh gear, which I'll put into three categories - vintage (60's and 70's), "older" (1990's) and contemporary (current models).

The vintage gear is as good as it gets relative to vintage gear. But it will need work, and it seems getting that work is getting harder. But if you can get vintage pieces for a good price and send them off to Audio Classics or wait a year for Terry DeWick to maybe get through his queue, this is a solid option.

The late 90's stuff was probably my favorite - bought used fully depreciated, still pricey but a good value and sounded wonderful. C41 preamp + MC352 + MVP851 disc player made a fantastic stack.

The contemporary is where I withhold my recommendation. I'm comfortable saying that today it is more about aesthetics and "pride of ownership" then sound quality. My C47 preamp had a fantastic DAC built in, but also had some firmware quirks that aren't acceptable at that price point. The MC152 amp was beautiful but one can definitely get the same performance in a solid state amplifier for much less then that. I sold them both and got a Luxman integrated that trounces that separates package.

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I love my MA 9000 integrated amp, and it's a vast improvement over my previous Pass Labs INT-150 and PrimaLuna HP Premium Dialogue. (Not as sterile as the Pass, far better bass and more details than the PrimaLuna). It also has a great DAC and phonostage.

AaronW and Lebowski like this.
  6. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

As a long time McIntosh owner my general feeling is to stick with amplifiers and preamplifier for quality and resale pricing.

7. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

I own a MA6300 and have been very happy with it with my JBL4411's. So interesting to see people who have never owned one diss McIntosh.

Fruff76 and Lebowski like this.
  8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I grew-up in the 80s thinking of McIntosh as the Mercedes of audio. They made expensive, and well-built gear. But it had the perfect amount of name-recognition and snob appeal for many Doctors and Lawyers who just wanted to buy "the best", but who were often not audiophiles. And it seemed like nobody in high-end audio community saw them as making anything which was as a serious contender for state of the art. Their gear always sounded good, but they were never the last word in either detail or transparency. And I always felt that their SS gear was overpriced for what it was.

But then one day I was loaned a vintage MR-67 tube tuner. I would describe its sound as unabashedly romantic in all the best ways. But OMG, that thing sounded glorious! I had been through a several different well regarded SS tuners, and yet not one of them possessed long-term listenability. Mostly I hated listening to FM on any of them, even when the content was good. But that MR67 was pure magic! It made even the commercials sound good, and while I had that unit in my possession I discovered that I started listening to FM regularly because I enjoyed the sound out of that tuner so much.

About 12 years ago, I borrowed a modern MC 275 (I don't remember which revision) to hear inside of my system. It sounded really nice. But unlike that MR67, it was not an especially "tubey", or romantic sounding amp at all. In the end I preferred the lusher sound and slightly wider-soundstage of my big CJ amp over it. So I never pursued that unit.

But about 6 years ago I obtained a classic MC225, and I recapped it. And I must say that I thoroughly enjoy this amp. With the right set of tubes rolled-in, I love its sound! It doesn't sound at all like my CJ. But it has its own very special and uniquely romantic character which is somehow not overly "tubey" which I really enjoy. This is one amp which I never plan on parting with. I absolutely love its sound on Classical music and with acoustic Jazz.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    62caddy, Fishleehooke, Ezd and 4 others like this.
  9. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

I think @Rolltide basically hit the nail on the head. I loved my vintage well cared for Mc stack (C33/MC2105/MR77) back when I had it. My current Yamaha integrated is just better in almost every way though.

PSA, Terry DeWick has retired, so the options for a restore or real maintenance update do get slimmer and slimmer. There’s still a great tech in Washington state though.

I’ve listened extensively to the new version of the MC275, which I quite like. I think it’s their best most ‘musical’ amp. I’ve also listened quite a bit to the MC462, and felt it was good, but not better than what my Yamaha can do (unless that is, you really need those 450 watts a side.) Lastly, I have listened to the C2500 quite a bit, and though it is a nice sounding piece, I don’t think it’s worth retail.

Still have my MR77, probably won’t ever let that go. It still sounds wonderful with a good signal.

Lebowski and TarnishedEars like this.
  10. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I have a Mac preamp (C712) and a Mac power amp (MC7270). Both purchased locally through Craigslist. I love them both! Would I buy them again? Absolutely!

(This thread reminds me of a fully restored MC-240 that was advertised locally on Craigslist a couple years ago. I contacted the seller (who inherited it from his father) and settled on a price. I went to the bank, withdrew the money, and was just about to get on the road to pick it up when I get a text from the seller stating he just sold it to someone else. He apologized, but went on to say that buyer emailed him minutes after he accepted my offer and offered him more. So he had no choice but let him have it. I’m still bitter over that!)

11. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I've had much the same thing happen to me on CL more times than I can count.

12. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Feelings? Mostly envy at this point in time. Will own a Mac one day.

13. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

That's what I said, too. It took me half a century to make it happen. Love those VU meters!

14. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

My grandfather had McIntosh, and now I do too. I’ve enjoyed my C2600 preamp and MC275 (current model) for the last several years. Great quality and sound.

As others have mentioned, great resale value as well, for when I ever decide to upgrade.

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Mac has always been about eye candy and snob appeal (not saying that they didn't build a quality product).

That is my feeling. For "X" amount of dollars, there is always something out there that would be ahead on Mac, on my list.

That I would agree with. While they are expensive, they do hold there value better than any other name brand on the market.

Or maybe we do?

Not so. Most names in high end audio can easily exceed the sound quality of McIntosh.

Which is why we call it high end audio.

More about my feeling of Mac gear. So much of it is stupidly overpriced, good, but overpriced.

I agree with your assessments.

Way nothing special, considering the price.

The MC225 was one of the best sounding amplifiers, along with the MC240 that they ever built.

My favorite being the MC30.

16. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I ordered an amp. It was like 85 pounds. HUGE PITA to get out of the box. One of the meters didn't work. I asked if they could ship me one and I'd replace it, they said 'no, this happens all the time, we have to adjust it after it's installed'.

I sent it back about bought a Benchmark AHB2. Thrilled to death. Sounds amazing and absolutely the 'least fuss' piece of hi-end gear I've ever owned.

krambigmac, VinylSoul and Rolltide like this.
  17. llama

llama Forum Resident

I have a MC250 that is 55 years old. It has been to several Mc clinics and got a clean bill of health. It now has binding posts, gold rca connections and speaker off/autoformer switches for choosing impedance. It’s a magical amp. Very holographic. Overbuilt. Underspecced.

caracallac likes this.
  18. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I don't think you could go wrong with some refurbished McIntosh in your life. You mention the McIntosh reputation -- although you're "not saying that necessarily influences" your decision. So many famous people have been proudly photographed with their McIntosh systems. I've read that Jack Nicholson's contracts stipulate McIntosh (perhaps his own) products must be installed in his movie trailers.

As far as musicians -- and I'm thinking of the vintage products you're asking about -- some proud owners off the top of my head include: Les Paul, Steve Miller, Jimmy Page, Neil Young, John Lennon, Bob Weir (really all the Grateful Dead guys, and their famous sound man, Augustus Ousley Stanley III), Frank Sinatra (and his son, Jr.), Brian Wilson. You'll see McIntosh photographed in the recording studios from modern day Electric Lady in New York City, to F.A.M.E and Stax Records. Oh man, it's iconic!

Here's a photo of Tammy Wynette with what looks to me like an MA230 (their first hybrid tube and solid state):

[​IMG]

Here's a photo from the Stax studio with artist Al Bell and producer Jim Stewart:

[​IMG]

Here's Brian Wilson mixing Pet Sounds with his Mc240:

[​IMG]

Here's Frank Sinatra with his McIntosh C22:

[​IMG]

A lot of the other musicians I mentioned have been videotaped at home with their systems and I'm not going to run down those videos, but you can see Jimmy Page at home with his McIntosh amp at the onset of this video:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

20. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Unfortunately here in New Zealand they are about 2x the price one would pay in the US. So I'll be saving my pennies for a bit longer.

21. SandAndGlass

And don't forget that they were driving Altec speakers. :)

Ezd likes this.
  22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Sherlock had a fair amount of McIntosh gear on Elementary:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

23. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

beowulf likes this.
  24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

And yet whenever he actually played something back on the show, it was always either on a portable or a victrola.

25. SandAndGlass

I have nothing against Mac gear, but I don't think that the SS amps sound any different than any of the SS amps that I run and cost a whole lot less.