Discogs...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by hbucker, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

99% of my vinyl purchases these days are on DISCOGS, but only from "established" sellers with tons of ratings. The other .9% I buy from sellers here, and .1% from Amazon, but only pre-sales like the Abbey Road deluxe. These estimates don't include RSD purchases.

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Those values are generated based on sales that occur on Discogs only and would not include any "entire collection" deals since Discogs doesn't allow for those types of sales through their marketplace. I'm not sure at the level of data used e.g. last few months or all time sales, but they only use their data to work those out.

When using Discogs to price items you need to dig into their past sales data to remove any anomalies in the dat. There's a 7" box set I was looking at and some prices were $5 and when I looked into it, it was because the seller was only selling one 7" out of the entire set. So the sales data was skewed. They also do not account for returns and refunds. Once the sale is made, it does into the data.

3. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Smart... but us 'new sellers' gotta start somewhere... lol

4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

You can take their values with something more than a grain of salt, but not a whole lot more. The reason is that their numbers are strictly internal, and are based on sales for the exact issue of the album that you have. So you are dealing with a number of factors that can skew the results. For example, if you have a particular version from Country A, but the majority of the past sales are from Country B (or are a different version) and your has only sold a couple of copies and for some reason they sold for less than what the other versions normally sell for, the value of that album will be less than it "should" be. the same thing can happen in reverse. Basically, any version of an album for which there is a not a good enough sample size is going to make a reliable value determination difficult.

As far as valuing the collection, just remember that if you have a version of an album that has not sold on Discogs before, then it does not get a value. It doesn't get a default zero (which would skew the averages), but it doesn't factor into the value of your collection. For example, I have probably at least 100 classical albums that don't have a previous discogs sale. So none of them are calculated into the value of my collection, despite their selling for reasonable amounts on Ebay.

Also, condition isn't taken into consideration in the averages. So if you have a collection of once-played beautifully preserved recordings, your value will be closer to high than the median.

5. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

That's cool, thought you may have just missed including warped records. No offense intended.

Myke likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Saw this, and thought it'd fit nicely here. :laugh:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.