Target B2G1 Sale

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by rjraphael, Sep 24, 2019.

1. rjraphael

rjraphael Forum Resident Thread Starter

This week Target is having a B2G1 free sale on movies, music, and books. Luckily, the sale is online in addition to in store, since store selection is poor. This isn't supposed to work for preorders, but currently most preorders are included. Prices aren't the best, but if you can find similar priced items some good deals can be found. Some example prices are: Abbey Road Deluxe $92.99, Steve Miller Band Welcome To The Vault $84.99, David Bowie Conversation Piece $84.99, The Kinks Arthur Deluxe $70.99, Prince 1999 Deluxe $59.99, and The Doors Soft Parade 50th $47.49. Vinyl titles are included in the sale, but I don't buy vinyl anymore, so I didn't check out the prices. As usual, Red Card holders save an additional 5%.

Edit: Also noticed Bobbie Gentry - The Girl From Chickasaw County for $92.49. If you buy Bobbie Gentry, Abbey Road, and The Kinks Arthur, total price would be 92.99 + 92.49, or $185.48 (average of $61.83 per title). With Red Card, $176.21 or $58.74 per title).

2. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

They have some BN Tone Poets for under $27, and pre-orders are included in the deal..

Rekkerds, hutlock and oldjollymon like this.
  3. oldjollymon

oldjollymon right channel den/left channel kitchen

Sweet, pre-ordered 2 Tone Poets & Kinks Arthur 2LP for less than 20 bucks each!! :righton:

hutlock and Juggsnelson like this.
  4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Nice! I’m likely going to do that exact same thing!

5. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Thank you for posting this, and yes the preorders are being included! Grabbed two Tone Poets, a trio of BN80s, and a pre order of the Pink Floyd Later Years 2lp set, worked out to about $17.50 each! The Later Years box is a $400 option for someone looking to triple up big on this deal.

6. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

My order of six albums, including some preorders was just canceled for a "technical" issue. I will have to try again.

7. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Yeah, mine was cancelled too. I tried again and it was cancelled again.

8. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I had trouble checking out via Paypal last evening. Figured it was some issue with my malware blocker. I tried again with a CC and got order confirmations for both orders, including BN preorders. So far, no cancellations.

Fingers crossed!

Rekkerds likes this.
  9. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

My orders were using PayPal as well. Reordered with a CC instead and hoping the third time is the charm.

It's a 1 percent per revolution per minute discount, ha!

10. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I too used PayPal. Maybe that was the issue. I'll retry too.

11. I'll give people a head's up on Target's pre-orders - they are fairly sketchy on delivering them on time. This media sale has been an annual occurrence the past few years and I've tried it before on pre-orders. It took them two months after release date to fulfill some of my order last year, which were common items in-stock everywhere else.

As the original poster noticed, this sale is one way to get items practically below wholesale cost. Target takes their sweet time filling them, I think in the hopes you'll cancel.

They use a drop-shipper to fulfill anything they don't carry in Target's own inventory, which is most media items people on this forum would be interested in.

superstar19 likes this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Never use PayPal for this type of order. Your card gets charged right away rather than when shipped.

13. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Good to know, thanks.

I'm gonna hang in there with my two orders for now, since I'm so price conscious. My vinyl habit is enough of a money pit already, so I need to get best value for my expenditures. Also, I'm not above calling a vendor and making some noise if they are exhibiting the kind of poor customer service you describe. Whether that would help or not is an open question..

At his point, I'll just wait and see how it goes!

14. Musicman1257

Musicman1257 Well-Known Member

Also another tip for everyone. make a list of the items you want and add them in a certain order. Their cart system takes every third item and marks it as free as opposed to the cheapest of everything added.

For example, a friend of mine ordered the items below.

1) Taylor Swift Exclusive 1 - $19.99
    2) Taylor Swift Exclusive 2 - $19.99
    3) Taylor Swift Excusive 3 - $19.99 (FREE)
    4) Taylor Swift Exclusive 4 - $19.99
    5) Volbeat - Rewind... $13.99
    6) Hootie and the Blowfish - Imperfect Circle - $11.99 (pre-order) - FREE

These may not be everyone's favorite artists, but I am using this to demonstrate my point. Every third item is free. so items 3 and 6 above are free...meaning that the items, if added to cart in this order, would only cost about $73 plus tax. So, if you switched items 3 and 5 above you'd be spending $6 more.

15. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

You can also mix n match any media format and books as well - the 3rd item will be free. Looks like my 2 books are shipping separately from the vinyl box set (which is a good sign IMHO).

16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

really? so I can add 2 items at, say, 19.99, then a third for, say, 400 bucks?

17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

answer...big fat NOPE. they take off the lowest priced item. not sure how your friend got that deal!

18. Musicman1257

what I failed to mention is the 3rd item is free ONLY if the price is similar or lower. so since the Taylor Swift were all 19.99 as the third item, one of them was free. if he had put the Volbeat for 13.99 instead of the Taylor Swift at 19.99, you would have a free item for 13.99 for free instead of an item for 19.99 for free.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  19. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

Good point.. I put everything I wanted in the cart and then selected items of the same price or close and you can/should order multiples of 3, they just subtract the lowest-priced items. I ended up with several orders that actually started arriving the next day. Also, preorders are valid for the sale (though I would consider the post about not getting preorders in a timely fashion - just make sure the preorder isn't the freebie!). It helps to search by price range and I became aware that Target only allows 50 pages per search so I had to get somewhat specific with the ranges.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it but there are 2 Mobile Fidelity One-Step offerings - Dylan's 'Blond on Blond' and Stevie Ray Vaughn 'Texas Flood'. I ordered those with Miles Davis 'Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions' and paid $91 for each set. They also have the MOFI 45rpm Santana and 3 Dire Straits preorders for a good discount though I didn't order those. I ordered several 45rpm Eno, some LPs from King Crimson and a couple of the Tone Poet series I didn't have (also preorder), Tom Waits, David Torn and a very limited edition (300, red vinyl) of Chris Squire's 'Conspiracy Live' album. Pretty good prices if you need to fill in some gaps.

20. Musicman1257

maybe they changed it but I was under the impression that, for every 3 items you add, the lowest is free. so if you add 6, items 3 and 6 in the cart would be free. But, depending on prices, it may be advantageous to add them in a certain order. on my friend's list, the 2 cheapest CDs were items 5 and 6 but 3 and 6 ended up being free.

not trying to make it complicated or mislead anyone. just wanted to share with the forum in case it would help.

They may they changed this logic over the last few days. i'll try it myself today.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  21. rjraphael

rjraphael Forum Resident Thread Starter

How items are added to your cart has no bearing on which ones are discounted. Target takes the three highest priced items and counts the lower priced of the three as free. You don't need to group orders in multiples of three. If your items are priced as $20, $20, $20, $20, $10, and $10, then one of the $20 items and one of the $10 items are free, not the two $10 items. And the order items are placed in the cart is irrelevant.

samwisefan and tmtomh like this.
  22. Musicman1257

thanks. you're right. I just tried it myself and really thought the order mattered but I guess not. still a great deal either way.

23. nowherepuppy

nowherepuppy Well-Known Member

Your order has been canceled

:blah:

Fortunately, this time I didn't use paypal.

24. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

^^^ what did you order? Any insight into why it was cancelled?

I was kind of psyched to place an order but given that it was all pre-order items, I found myself spooked by Phantom Stranger’s comment above.

The deal potential seemed cool for what I was looking at but not all that much savings over a Deep Discount 15% off coupon.

25. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Agree with SJP that some details would be really helpful, if you have any to offer!