Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

Well, dude, I have checked Discogs. First thing I did. The Japan release was not there as of last night. That is why I am asking here. The only reliable fact I have is that CD Japan lists all of the versions of this project identical to worldwide release, but then goes right on to say that the CDs are SHM-CD, which is obviously NOT the same as worldwide release. That is why I am asking source of such info, since I haven't been able to find any yet.

It DOES appear on Discogs that even though Pepper's and the White Album had remix issues on SHM-CD, the vinyl pressings were Europe, though Pepper's was actually on MPO, and the White Album doesn't say at all, just "non-Japan". Making it unlikely that Abbey Road remix LPs would be pressed in Japan. But I have written to CD Japan for more definitive info. I have been burned too many times by surmise, assumptions and flat-out guessing. That's why I asked for source. That would be definitive.

2. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Ok, I thought we were just talking about the vinyl pressings. Didn't know there was a run of Pepper's at MPO, that's a new one to me.

edit: Ahh, the Italian pressing for De Agostini was done at MPO. Was that the remix, though, or was it just a repress of the standard stereo edition?

3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Standard.

4. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Ouch! :laugh:

Exotiki and Gila like this.
  5. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

That's what I thought...so our friend @weaselriot here is talking about an entirely different release.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  6. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

im sorry father, for i have sinned

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Let’s hope so.

8. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

When I read that Giles said they used all the original equipment at Abbey Road, then read that plug-ins were used, in creating the remix, it bought to mind a friend here in NZ telling me he had purchased the original limiters from one of the Abbey Road studios, so obviously over time the equipment was updated, and surplus sold off? (Just trying to separate the PR waffle from the facts)

Gila likes this.
  9. Emholio

Emholio Forum Resident

Well put.

10. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

I guess you haven't listened to the surround mix more attentively if you say that. There much more things going on in 5.1 mix which isn't there in the stereo. For example, the Moog part in Maxwell's Silver Hammer is effectively panning from side to side and backwards, but in stereo it just stands dully somewhere in the middle and you can barely detect if it is there at all.

11. Onder

Onder Senior Member

And what really happened? Tell us!
    George Martin's production notes, written at the time of the recording say it's Ringo on drums.
    Did you even bother to watch the video with Klaus Voormann where Paul himself says that he can't play the swinging eighth notes on hi-hat when doing the shuffle on drums?
    Ok, I get that not everybody plays drums and can tell by the drumming technique BUT did you take George Martin's production notes into consideration at all?

12. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Thanks Emholio.

13. Radardog

Radardog Forum Resident

I usually don't post the negative, but is anyone else underwhelmed with the outtakes? I've heard more interesting stuff on old tapes - Paul's lead vocal on I Want You (She's So Heavy) and a slow eery You Never Give Me Your Money with an extended ending jam.

Gila likes this.
  14. Booga

Booga Forum Resident

In Lewisohn's 'Recording Sessions', John Kurlander is quoted as saying that he was instructed to cut 'Her Majesty' out of the long medley rough mix on 30 July. He says that he "accidentally left in the last note", and that Paul said, "It's only a rough mix, it doesn't matter". I assume he's referring to the last chord of 'Her Majesty', which we can now hear on 'Her Majesty [Takes 1-3]'. Lewisohn goes on to say, "Thus is solved a long-standing Beatles mystery: why, on the 'Abbey Road' LP, the final acoustic guitar chord is missing from 'Her Majesty'. The answer is that it was left buried in this unreleased rough edit of the medley, at the beginning of 'Polythene Pam'". So where is it in 'The Long One' on Disc 3?

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The last chord of "Her Majesty" is exactly where Lewisohn says it is: "it is left buried... at the beginning of Polythene Pam."

jmxw, J Alesait, Diego Lucas and 2 others like this.
  16. thehatandbeard

thehatandbeard Forum Resident

This!

zobalob and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  17. Booga

Booga Forum Resident

That would mean that the chord was superimposed on top of the first chord of 'Polythene Pam' in that mix, meaning it was impossible to cut it out anyway.

18. Booga

Booga Forum Resident

Plus, the last chord of 'Her Majesty' is different from the first chord of 'Polythene Pam', isn't it?

19. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Is it true that the way the tapes were edited (sliced at an angle?) it actually created a quick cross fade instead of a hard transition?

If two tapes overlapped like one inch would the sound of BOTH recordings be audible?

I'd like to know.

20. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

The last chord is Her Majesty and the first chord of Polytheme Pam are the same (D) so you wouldn't here the low acoustic chord from HM.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  21. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

The vid now has over 4 million views.....amazing.

superstar19 and swedwards1960 like this.
  22. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

George has gone viral!

That video is wonderful.

23. Onder

Onder Senior Member

No, the last chord of Her Majesty and the first chord Of Polythene Pam is in both cases D.

Deacon Blues and Gila like this.
  24. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

What is that annoying high pitch sound in the I Want You outtake? It sounds like a buzzing bee. Is that George’s guitar?

25. Booga

Booga Forum Resident

Yes, you're right - they're both D. But it would still have been impossible to cut the last chord of 'Her Majesty' from that mix, so Kurlander must have been mistaken when he said that he "accidentally...left (it) in".

stevenson66g and Lewisboogie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.