New Survivor ' Island of the Idols '

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Big fan of ' Survivor '. Been watching it since season one.
    Season 39 started last week and I was thinking that the show may have jumped the shark by having previous Survivor winners Boston Rob and Sandra on hand to give ' advice ' to players who are sent to ' Island of the Idols '
    I'll be watching and enjoying it but I'm thinking this could be the beginning of the end for the show.

xdawg and ex_mixer like this.
  2. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Same here, big fans. Wife and I from the start. Let's see where this goes, fingers crossed.

3. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

The first episode was much better than I anticipated. I'm still dumbfounded at the resentment of people who go out looking for immunity idols early on. Also, it won't take long for the chick who went to Idol Island to be found out as a liar.

4. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I kinda like it so far. I'm willing to see where it goes from here.

Dan

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Its about time they put out a new album.

6. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

Gets more and more cheesy every series.
    But I'll be watching.

[​IMG]

7. Wildest cat from montana

I didn't understand her strategy in not telling the others what had happened with some minor tweaking.

8. Wildest cat from montana

Reminded me of those head statues on Easter Island.

9. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

After watching the current Australian Survivor (season 6), it’s a rough transition to go back to the American one. The Australian one is 50 days long & they have two 90 min episodes on weekly. They expand on camp life & you really get to know the characters well. The American one is 40 mins running time once a week & now Sandra & Rob get a weekly share of that time. So far it’s lived up to my expectations of how bad this season is going to be. A nice easy pay check for Sandra & Rob though. Good for them. I’d do it too.

E.Baba likes this.
  10. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I enjoyed the first episode way more than I thought I would. Rob and Sandra were surprisingly tolerable and this seems one of the most diverse casts they've had in a long while. Keeping my fingers crossed because they've surely steered us wrong before.

Humbuster likes this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

[QUOTE="Scotian, post: 22237598, member: 1267"The American one is 40 mins running time once a week & now Sandra & Rob get a weekly share of that time.
    [/QUOTE]
    The show should be longer. As you say it's about 40 minutes. Between the challenges , tribal council , and the solo on-camera bits we only get to see about five minutes of actual strategy talk and manoevres an episode. I'd like to see more of that.

rburly and bmasters9 like this.
  12. TheMan84

TheMan84 Active Member

True. No high hopes regarding this one, but turned out rather enjoyable, or watchable at least.

ex_mixer likes this.
  13. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i felt the same way. pleasantly surprised...probably because my expectations were really low after seeing the setup.

14. The Australian Survivor leaves the American original for dead.
    I couldn't agree more. Australian Survivor makes the original Survivor look like a holiday camp.

bmasters9, E.Baba and Scotian like this.
  15. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

The last quite a few seasons of American Survivor bears a closer resemblance to Big Brother now than it does to the original Survivor.

GLENN and bmasters9 like this.
  16. Wildest cat from montana

I hear ya but it's not the bad yet. I can' t ' stand Big Brother ' - phony and hyper.

17. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

I can see why you feel that way-- it seems that here, lately, more and more challenge segments are combined reward/immunity (meaning that if you fail at a challenge, you're doubly whammied/punished [not only getting no reward, possibly going hungry or thirsty, etc., but also going down one on your side at tribal]); to me, challenges should be played separately, first for reward, then for immunity (that way, even if you fail at getting something that would relieve your hunger or thirst, you still have a chance at keeping your side together with immunity). I hope the combined reward/immunity challenges aren't going to be the way they're played from now on!

18. Wildest cat from montana

Well , episode two tonight.
    I'm curious as to how much Sandra and Boston Rob we'll be seeing each episode. Not too much , I hope.
    I don't see what real advice they can provide. All the players are knowledgeable about the game and how it is played. And their situation is unique to what is happening on their tribe and the specifics of this particular season.
    For Sandra and Boston Rob to say things like trust no one , learn how to make fire and find immunity idols is lame. Everyone knows this.

bmasters9 likes this.
  19. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Now THAT is how you hide an immunity idol AND throw everyone else off your trail. I can't help but think that Rob or Sandra suggested it, but I thought that it was one of the all-time great Survivor moves, up there with the first "fake" idol and Johnny Fairplay's fake grandma death.

Dan

20. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

well that was a really good episode. heck of a blindside. i wish it hadn't been Molly though. she was an interesting player not to mention the best looker.

21. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Molly gone, LOL!

22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

It's weird how lop-sided the screen time has gotten for some of the players. Jeff didn't even ask Jack for his input at tribal but repeatedly went back to two or three other players. On the other team, folks like Dean weren't even heard from at all. It's like the show is telegraphing who the main players will be on any given episode thus taking the element of surprise out of the equation. They kept showing close-ups of Molly at tribal so you knew something was up.

23. Wildest cat from montana

Great blindside ! It' s so early in the Game and the paranoia is already at a boil.

I'm not really ' getting' the Boston Rob / Sandra mentoring bit. It seems gimmicky. Anyway by next week at least two people from either tribe will have been to Island of the Idols and then what? Will this person out the other for lying about her visit or will the two be in cahoots until a third person goes or what ?

rburly likes this.
  24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

That's what I'm not getting about the whole thing. They must know others are going to be coming there so why lie about the circumstances? These are the same people who got all pissy because they resented Jason looking for idols so soon. It reminds me of the Outback season when Jerri convinced the tribe that she was sure Kel had jerky.

25. Wildest cat from montana

Yes...
    I don' t see the advantage or wisdom of lying about it.
    Wouldn't it be easier just to say Boston Rob and Sandra were there to mentor and be done with it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.