Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I thought it did go without saying but you wrote "it’s the mix from the B-side of the single, released for the first time ever in stereo" which confused me as it's either the mix from the single or not. It can't be the same mix if one's mono and one's stereo. Just trying to clarify, for my own sake, if no one else's.

2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Except Nashville Skyline Rag, which of course was already released in stereo on the Earl Scruggs and friends album. I'm curious if it's gonna be the same exact mix on this set.

3. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Nice catch. I find it a little funny that despite the fact the Johnny Cash collaboration is the main promotional thrust of this BS installment it's taken them three advance tracks before they shared one of the Dylan/Cash duets-- and it's tucked away on the b-side.

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Perhaps this is the beginning of something new in the Dylan ouevre -- duets.
    Who knows, maybe he'll do an entire album of duets. He'll record his vocal
    tracks first and then the duetter will record their half of the song. Like Frank
    Sinatra did. Or something like that.

6. Mrsharko

Mrsharko Forum Resident

There is a bit of a trend of modern pop stars putting their vocals on one half of a dead singers track to do a sort of posthumous duet.

Perhaps Dylan’s fourth instalment of standards will be an album of duets with old blue eyes himself.

CBackley likes this.
  7. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Not quite what I had in mind but I get your picture.

8. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Let's hope Bob will stay with us for many more years. Otherwise artists such as Kanye West, Post Malone or Coldplay would decide to do a duet with the late mr Zimmerman

voles and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  9. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I ordered both vinyl and CD versions as the CD version usually has a lot more content, not so in this release. Same amount of songs on both vinyl or CD.

Myke likes this.
  10. HominyRhodes

Detail from the new box set -- original lyric sheets and notebook pages: "Wanted Man," "I Gave it All Away/I Threw It All Away"), "Lay Lady Lay," "Dear Land Lord" (how cool is that?) and a few other stray verses and stanzas. I did some quick partial transcriptions (below) -- really fascinated by those two JWH notebook pages, hope they include some more in the liner notes or booklets.

[​IMG]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wanted man in Carolina, wanted man in Buffalo
    Wanted man in Arizona, wanted man in Ohio
    Wanted man in Kansas City, wanted man in old Cheyenne
    Everywhere you look tonight, boys, I am a wanted man

(1) I find a seat in Reno and I'm doing mighty fine
    The boss he tips his hat to me and I in turn tip mine
    [take my money]
    I'm just about to [______________?], every nickel every dime
    [I was ____ if your the ______]
    But someone always recognizes me before it's time

I might be in Colorado, or maybe Tennessee
    Working for some man who may not know who I might be
    But he always gives me ____ CHORE
    (But I do not have a number, couldn't get one if I tried
    But there is always someone special whom I must keep satisfied
    For I do not have a number, couldn't get one if I tried

I eat only when I'm hungry

Now I plot my destination by the lamp inside the can
    That is how it is boys, when you're a wanted man

(I used to hold)
    I once held her in my arms
    And she said she would always stay
    I treated her cold, I had treasure untold
    I gave it all away
    (Repeat)
    I was cruel, I treated her like a fool

Once I had mountains in the palm of my hand
    And rivers that ran through every day
    I was mad / I didn't know just what I had
    I gave it all away

But I was blind to what I had and____ ____ mine
    I gave it all away
    (threw)

So if you've found someone who gives to? you ___ love
    Keep her to your heart don't let her stray
    (Take) There's thousands ____ ____ waiting for a ____ of what you _____
    Don't go throwing it away?

Whatever was

Okay, catch 'em at the bullfight
    " put 'em in the moonlight
    " watch 'em on the mill sight
    " cool 'em in the cool night

Johnny catch a rabbit
    " " " bear
    " " " ????
    " " " ????
    - take it downtown
    " a wife
    Stay naked for the
    rest of your life
    Oh the day is done at last
    shall see the ______

petty reels

So_________ gimme one
    kind word

and I'll go do what I have to do

If you just...

You'll get every thing that's coming to you / <---- believed one to be true

[Job] A song so I'm sure
    Dear Land Lord please don't put a price
    on my soul
    I'll pay you the debt just to ____
    so I can get out of this hole

but I will _____ and I'll tell you again
    everything's soon going to
    change

Dear Land Lord I know you're
    a practical man
    If you only _____ have it in your heart
    for mercy, I'm hoping that you will
    understand

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    jpmosu, Tom Schreck, asdf35 and 21 others like this.
  11. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

Had an odd dream last night where someone gifted me this set on vinyl with the release date still a month away. Upon closer examination, I realized that it was a bootleg of the bootleg, the sound quality was sub par, and the track listing was different.

Six Bachelors and anth67 like this.
  12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Talk about an eagle eye! Well done. All I could discern from this promo shot was that "Lay Lady Lay" was among the manuscript pages. If we can't have an outtake of "Dead Landlord" I suppose this is the next best thing. That "Wanted Man" is pretty cool-- wonder if we're gonna get any of the previously unfamiliar lines in the BS15 box?

13. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

How big is the CD packaging for this set? Or are those large pages only going to be in the vinyl?

George P likes this.

14. Many thanks for this - you have a considerably sharper eye than me.

Best Wishes,
    David

HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.
  15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I think just the vinyl.

Based on the promo picture, I’m under the impression it’s in a slipcase roughly the size of the ones used for the old 2CD BS sets, with a standard CD-sized booklet & 3 individual cardboard sleeves (instead of a jewel case).

Percy Song and HominyRhodes like this.
  16. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

That sucks. I will not buy the vinyl but would like the full sized artwork/booklet.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  17. HominyRhodes

Still looking at the Nashville Skyline sessions, trying to figure out which recordings seem to have been lost. So far, it appears that the only complete session reels they still have are from Feb. 13th and 14th, and possibly the complete Dylan-Cash sessions from the 17th and 18th. They also have the two master takes done on the 17th, and the finished, overdubbed "Lay Lady Lay" that was released on the LP, but that may be it.
    [​IMG]

rednax, Richard--W, tstrapac and 7 others like this.
  18. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Excellent work, @HominyRhodes. That's one heck of a magnifying glass you must have! :righton:

One addition/amendment for you:-

Oh the day is done at ?----?
    now and I'm sure we all
    shall see the hour

Also, that line, "I eat (only) when I'm hungry..." in the "Wanted Man" manuscript :- A line from "Rambler, Gambler", "Moonshiner", (and probably many other old songs besides), revived for "Standing In The Doorway"

I'm genuinely happy for those who prefer their fix on LPs rather than CDs because they are getting the whole thing this time and there cannot be any complaints (unless the "Blood On The Tracks Test Pressing" quality debacle is repeated). I had no plans to buy the LP package but I can't say I'm not concerned about how the "paperwork" will be presented in a CD-sized booklet. Goodness knows it's difficult enough to read Bob's scrawl on the blown-up red notebook facsimiles. Surely it would be impossible to do so if one of those "Wanted Man" sheets were to be reduced to a 5" x 5" square. No doubt all will be revealed.

19. Jack

Jack Senior Member

20. HominyRhodes

"We all shall see the hour..." :righton: Thank you.

I'll certainly get the vinyl edition of this, if only for the JWH and NS studio tracks on LP #1. As we've seen, sometimes the vinyl and CD boxes have varying content in the liners and booklets, so that will be an added incentive. I sure hope there won't be any quality control issues with the records. And, there's no 2-CD sampler edition this time around, is there? That's actually a relief. :sweating:(Although I suppose there may be a single-disc promo sampler, if history is any indication.)

BTW: the "hungry" line in "Wanted Man" is definitely one of those floating verses that many songsters used. It may have originated with "Rye Whiskey":

Rye whiskey, rye whiskey
    Rye whiskey, I cry.
    If I don't get rye whiskey
    I surely will die.

I'll eat when I'm hungry
    And drink when I'm dry;
    If whiskey don't kill me
    I'll live till I die.

Oh whiskey, rye whiskey,
    I know you of old;
    You rob my poor pockets
    Of silver and gild.

Percy Song likes this.
  21. HominyRhodes

Yeah, that one may be hard to get ahold of for a while. May have to wait and see if it shows up on Discogs, Flebay or Amuzin next year, after things simmer down a bit.

22. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

23. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

$52.99AUD for Australians looking to order from JB Hi-Fi.

What a joke of a price. If any other Aussies know of a better price who will ship promptly, I would love to be pointed in that direction.

false_serenity likes this.
  24. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

We are getting absolutely screwed with being shut out of overseas Amazon websites now.

SlimLee likes this.
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

This one really looks good to me. Love this period of his work (and the Johnny Cash stuff is what helped me decide). This will be my first "Bootleg Series" title that I will be adding to my collection. Ordering the vinyl set from my local store tomorrow when I pick up my ORG "The Shape Of Jazz To Come"...

Far from a Dylan expert, but I am really looking forward to this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.