Sturgill Simpson - Sound and Fury 2019 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by notesofachord, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Yeah, this album is awesome. Not even sure how to describe it. It just rocks.

2. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Listened to the download over the weekend; gonna put on the vinyl asap. I love it. Sturgill has to be one of the ballsiest artists going right now - he's the only one where I'm looking forward to his next release on the basis that I have absolutely no idea what it will sound like or even what genre it will fall into.

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Now you know what life is like for us Todd Rundgren fans.

bonzo59 and JuanTCB like this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

I was texting with my friend Rev who knows Sturgill, and he said:

I've only heard two songs, but it's definitely different. He's like that though, as soon as someone likes what he's doing too much, he's gonna want to change. He's been that way as long as I've known him. If you want Sturgill to do something, tell him he can't or shouldn't.

If you want to have a real weird day, listen to the record Zac Brown released yesterday. Day after Sturgill's release. Listen to the song "Swayze"

And remember this is the guy that brought the world Chicken Fried.​

5. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Great album. Fun listen right out of the box. Starts with a 70s AM radio friendly "Lunatic Fringe" sound, morphs into ELO's heavy metal cousin playing "Don't Bring Me Down," and proceeds to throw in some disco blended with hints of Black Sabbath and Primal Scream. He's obviously having fun with the effects pedals and I'm assuming his sound is Telecaster + Hiwatt, resulting in a Buck Owens meets The Who tone.

6. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I hadn't read a thing about the album before listening to it on Tidal yesterday. To say it threw me for a loop is an understatement. I was so discombobulated I couldn't listen to the whole thing. Pulsing synthesizers? Screaming guitars? Who held a gun to Sturgill's head and forced him to play with Dinosaur Jr. and Keith Emerson? But I'm listening to it again now and it's like I didn't hear it at all the first time. It's clicking into place and I'm liking it.

Gotta give him full marks for not being afraid to torch his old sound and blaze off in a new direction.

7. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Spinning it again... getting addicted... it demands your full attention and you don't use it as background music... sit down with the album jacket and let it wash over you...

8. Chris DeVoe

9. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

The home invasion story is intense...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Juan Matus and Reid Smith like this.
  10. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Crazy that this was recorded in Waterford, MI just down the road from me. Some nice lakes and good boating but otherwise it is suburban Detroit strip-mall hell.

11. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

In the Joe Rogan interview Sturgill says he recorded this album in 2017.

12. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Hope that means his next album is sooner rather then later.

notesofachord and bzfgt like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Not surprising, given that it is the soundtrack for a 45-minute animated film. That is a couple of years worth of work.

14. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

the New York Times story said this album ended his two album contract and he had no plans for other music yet.

15. Chris DeVoe

I think it's obvious he doesn't really need a record label anymore.

Why do I get the feeling that there is a story that isn't being told about a record company refusing to accept an album for two years?

Dudley Morris likes this.
  16. monotone

monotone I know noothing.

I watched the Netflix thing in hopes of a discrete 5.1 mix but no such luck. The visuals and the sound of the album worked well together I thought. I certainly appreciate Simpson's willingness to follow his muse wherever it takes him, that's a rare trait these days among major artists. The "less loud" bits I found the most interesting on this album, I just don't have much appetite for the heavy blues based riffing/soloing these days. Still, I hope his next step is as big as this one whichever direction it might be.

bzfgt likes this.
  17. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

He may be saying that now, but he HAS to have more material. No way he was sitting around for 2 years and not writing/recording new material. Heck, I saw him live a little more than a year ago, and he was playing stuff not on any album.
    Also, the new album, while great, is kinda short, IMO.

bzfgt likes this.
  18. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

It clocks in at around 41 minutes, which is perfect.

19. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Subtract the asides and non-musical sound-effects, and it's closer to 35 minutes.

20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Asides? You mean the instrumental that opens it and the effects that lead one track into another? It's part of the album. Better this length that 75 minutes.

21. MuswellHillbilly

MuswellHillbilly Forum Resident

Enjoying this album - he made a successful pivot from his c&w sound. Really liking it -- and I really enjoyed his first 3 albums as well.

22. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

It was several artists and finished in a year.

23. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

I don’t really hear any non musical moments. It all fits. No reason to trim it down.

ralphb, agentalbert and bzfgt like this.
  24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

My drive to work is 40 minutes so that is the perfect length (41 is close enough). If an album is going to be longer than that, it should be 80 minutes....otherwise it gets too complicated.

Crispy Rob, ralphb and twicks like this.
  25. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Watched Sound & Fury on Netflix and really liked it. The only thing that keeps me from picking up the LP and / or CD is the "feeling" this is gonna be an item that pretty soon will get released with bonus content. Not sure how those Netflix deals work but isn't likely than within a few months there will be a re-release with a combi format: DVD or BR together with CD / LP soundtrack + some "marbles" like postcards, posters, special packaging, additional bonus content? I love many 20, 25, 40 year anniversary editions but hate re-releases within a few months or a year or so.

Dudley Morris likes this.