Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The ones where Paul is drumming:
    Ballad of John & Yoko
    Come And Get It
    Old Brown Shoe (highly debatable as to the accuracy of musicians on this particular outtake)

2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Just played the 'original real mix' of Abbey Road and it does not get better than that IMO

3. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I'm going to receive mine in a few minutes and am hyped! Not so much for the album CD, but for the outtakes and the Blu Ray. I am not expecting magic from the album CD.

4. Yeah. Last night I pulled out three different UK 70s copies and they all sound basically the same to each other. A pretty perfect listen and then I played a few tracks of the remix and it just didn't seem right. The album is not as cohesive as the original mix.

5. recordromantic

recordromantic Forum Resident

Here are my general impressions after listening to the box set CDs and to the blu-ray PCM audio through stereo analog outputs (not a great deal of difference between the two in my view, just one a bit louder than the other).

This is not the bag of riches that the 50th anniversary WHITE ALBUM set is, but still.

To start with there are plenty of interesting/great outtakes.
    My favourites are:

I WANT YOU
    BATHROOM WINDOW
    HERE COMES THE SUN
    THE END
    THE LONG ONE

Sonically, the remix blows away any other version of the album (how can people prefer the brittle and immensely hissy “black triangle” version, for example, is beyond me) for the reasons highlighted by many, but the tracks included in LOVE for me still sound superior: tidier, sharper.

I am happy with most of the songs and the mixing choices made.
    Just not completely satisfied with YNGMYM but I still can’t figure out exactly why. Overall it’s possibly mastered a bit too low compared to the other tracks and the arrangement in the “magic feeling” section doesn’t come through as clearly as in the original.

The snare drums in I WANT YOU remix, so muffled up! I was briefly suicidal for this, but all the other elements of the track (someone even complained about John’s voice which for me is greatly improved) are spot on.

A bit of a shame that the better sounding version of GOODBYE was not used (but I will live) and that SOMETHING take 36 (with John’s piano and the powerful jam at the end) is sadly missing.
    Don’t care muc about the absence of HCTS with the guitar solo.

Some observations about book which is nice but for me not as outstanding as many claim.

The slipcase (front and back) is identical to the book inside when instead they could have put an alternative photo inside.
    Also I would have preferred a sheet with the titles rather than them printed on the back cover. More elegant.

No need to write “anniversary edition” on the spine either, in line with the previous sets. But I don’t mind the difference in sizes.

Some photos have low resolution, some are pointless or both (like the Twickenham view from the top which we have seen countless times), many nice ones missing (the whole session for the cover and more Tittenhurst Park shots would have been nice).

The previous two books were superior in my view.

Overall I am very happy with this Superdeluxe edition and I am so looking forward to the next chapters!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Lewisboogie, coffeetime and Macca75 like this.
  6. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Em? That's a pretty awkward fingering if that's what it is. like one of Lennon's banjo chords. They did that a lot.

7. beetlesonique

beetlesonique Forum Resident

Couldn’t agree more. Especially since the (very nice) book mentions a couple of outtakes that seem to be quite interesting:

- A Trident version of I Want You with overdubs of 2 piano parts, tambourine, more guitars and a backwards cymbal
    - A faster version of I Want You recorded at Abbey Road.
    - A version of Something sans Ringo with Paul on drums and George Martin on piano (Recorded on the same day as Old Brown Shoe)

Could it be that they are still holding back stuff for potential future releases?

8. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

The Outtakes CDs are 40 minutes long. What a rip off.

BuckNaked, TheLoveDrags and Beatlemen like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Still much longer than The Early Beatles...;)

10. George P

George P Notable Member

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

What's wrong with the green vinyl UK export? I think it sounds very good and I have LOTS of different copies.

12. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Although this remix is a very fun listen and I am very glad it exists :righton:

13. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I’ve only ever heard the one I owned years ago, it was dull and... very un-UK sounding. Not worn, so I’m really not sure what happened there, I expected so much better from a HTM cut. The white vinyl Let It Be and White Album are both incredible and remain my go-tos for those albums.

Maybe I just need to try another! The green vinyl certainly looked nice…

14. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

“Part of the pre-publicity for this tour had centred around Lewisohn’s acquisition of a tape, recorded by John Lennon, of him, Paul and George discussing post-Abbey Road plans. This tape exists because Ringo was in hospital and John wanted him to be aware of what was discussed in his absence. The Guardian ran a big piece on it, with Lewisohn claiming the audio “rewrites everything we knew about The Beatles” because the tape makes clear that they didn’t necessarily think that Abbey Road was ‘the end’. All very intriguing, but sadly Lewisohn would not play the whole tape, as planned, because if he did, he said “someone told me bad things might happen to me.”

:eek:

Ken Wood and FJFP like this.
  15. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Oh for god's sake. Bad things? Puh-lease. It's a band. Not the JFK assassination.

Lewisboogie and Tom Daniels like this.
  16. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

And it is probably a joke.

stevenson66g, hamishd91 and Colocally like this.
  17. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I listened to the Blu-ray Stereo mix last night and I thought it sounded amazing, currently listening to the CD which I still think sounds good just not quite as good as the Blu-ray sounded or at least how I remember the Blu-ray sounding.

apesfan and Lewisboogie like this.
  18. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

It's a different fingering for an E7. The same fingering he used for the acoustic versions of "Helter Skelter" and the first chord you hear in "Every Night".

19. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

For the price point, it is.

Of course, there were MANY more outtakes they could've included another disc or two.

I don't understand how this is priced the same as the the other two deluxe sets, when there just so much more value included in those.

And the 3 lp is priced higher than the White Album 4 lp.

20. AndyK235

AndyK235 Forum Resident

Is he suffering a bout of OCD?

21. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Is it? I checked my records and I payed around $10 more for the 4LP White Album than this 3LP Abbey Road.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  22. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

Abbey Road 3 lp...$7 more than the WA 4 lp on Amazon currently.

23. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, then that settles it. There is no harpsichord on the released version. :wtf:

Lewisboogie likes this.
  24. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

The price has dropped by about $8 since I bought it, The price of Abbey Road is also about $10 higher than what I spent on it. It is newer, and demand will be higher as well so it doesn't surprise me.

25. Alberto Balsalm

Alberto Balsalm Active Member

Is it YO?

Gila likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.