Ian Hunter diagnosed with tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Safeway 1, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know" Thread Starter

2. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

footlooseman likes this.
  3. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I don't think one recovers from tinnitus. But I guess it can go from better to worse and back. The article talks about is 'subsiding'.

I've suffered from tinnitus for years. Most of the time I don't notice it unless the room is very quiet. Drinking alcohol makes it worse, but not uncomfortably so. It's never been so bad I can't perform. That would be horrible.

MikaelaArsenault and aoxomoxoa like this.
  4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Very sorry to hear this, he’s a rock legend and tinnitus is a really terrible thing to deal with.

5. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

6. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

get better soon Ian

we’re seeing many of our older singers cancel or postpone tour dates this year. In addition to Ian Hunter, we had Mick Jagger, Roger Daltrey, and Steven Tyler.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My ears have been ringing for years. But it's never kept me from getting to sleep or enjoying music.

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I have it. It sucks.

Might be worse for him seeing he’s like 70 and been playing non stop for 50;years

Macman likes this.
  9. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Yeah, that's where I'm at. It started in my 20s. I always presumed it was from playing on stage in front of loud amplifiers every night for years, but a doctor once told me there is really no known cause of it. Nor a known cure. Some think it isn't even a physical condition -- or at least not one that has anything to do with the ears-- and is something that exists in the brain.

In any case, mine hasn't really gotten any WORSE over the years. Or at least as crept up slowly to the degree it has. For the most part, I don't notice it and/or have learned to ignore it.

MikaelaArsenault and bob60 like this.
  10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Welcome to the club.

11. I suspect there’s more at play than mere tinnitus - I mean, I’d be surprised if he didn’t already have it to some extent.

12. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I considered suicide almost daily when my tinnitus got really bad 7 years ago. It literally went three times louder after an MRI exam and has never reduced in volume.

I first noticed permanent tinnitus aged 27 but prior to that I'd gone to bed with ringing ears after a gig or club and woken up the next day all fine. I think we've all got it to some extent and hear it in a quiet room etc but aome of us have it rrreal bad. Only a passing emergency services vehicle with its siren on makes mine temporarily unnoticeable.

So Ian Hunter has it. So has Pete Townshend, Peter Frampton, Phil Collins and Paul Gilbert to name but four. Frankly I would be surprised by any ageing rock star who doesn't have it.

13. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Hi, I have tinnitus also an have had it for about 30 years now. Mine is more like the other posters in that I can sometimes ignore it or it is masked by a loud environment eg traffic, but not always. So sorry that yours suddenly got so much worse, did they say why the exam affected it in that way or warn you that this might happen?
    I have to say I would be very reluctant to ever have an MRI scan after reading your post, I can only imagine how awful it must have been for you when this happened.
    Wishing you well....

MikaelaArsenault and sunking101 like this.
  14. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know" Thread Starter

I've had it for years sounds like crickets in the background, but I've somehow managed it. OBTW Ian is a spritely 8o yo.

georgespigott and aoxomoxoa like this.
  15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm a charter member.

16. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

He's 80.

misterdecibel, Siegmund and aoxomoxoa like this.
  17. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

It doesn't go away, I've had it for years. It can get worse. I have found running a small fan helps when you are trying to sleep. White noise helps blend it in with background noise. Sometimes it seems to get louder but that only happens to me when I listen for it.
    Most everyone I know who played music in the past has developed tinnitus, some worse than others but as far a s I know, it doesn't kill you.

Crimson jon likes this.
  18. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

80 = 70 in pop star years....:D

19. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I have it. I think it's always been there. I remember asking my mum when I was little "what's that funny noise I hear when everything else goes quiet?" Playing in bands for 20 years probably didn't help. Headphone listening too - I don't do that anymore. But most of the time I can ignore it. No problem getting to sleep. But I understand others may suffer more. I am sitting in a faculty meeting right now and I can hear my tinnitus loud and clear. Surprised the person next to me can't hear it. But at least it's more interesting than the meeting.

20. sunking101

Not directly, no. Lots have been unable to cope with it and have offed themselves though. It's like most ailments; there are mild, medium, acute and horrific versions out there. It's a little annoying when mild sufferers think they're troopers for dealing with it.

21. sunking101

It was the noise. MRI machines are notoriously loud even for normal folk. A typical MRI scanner operates at 110-118dB.

They give you noise-reducing headphones to wear as a matter of cause but I also wore earplugs underneath them because I have a condition called hyperacusis. This is hearing damage but, bizarrely, certain frequencies are more sensitive and thus appear louder to the sufferer. According to the medical fraternity our ears should tolerate sound just as well as other folk because they reckon it's a perceived elevation in volume so therefore nothing to worry about. Well after 30 minutes inside the tube my tinnitus was permanently and massively worsened.

Thanks for your well wishes.:)

longdist01 and bob60 like this.
  22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I thought there were some diet/meditation remedies that greatly reduce the ringing?

23. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I guess I'm one of the luckier "milder" cases. I have had a couple of MRI scans in the last couple of years, but they didn't bother me too much. Hope you can continue to cope with your condition!

And let's hope Ian Hunter's doing okay too!

24. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'm even more grateful I saw what might have been one of the last MTH 74 shows. I saw a few speculations elsewhere the last tour might have triggered it. The concert I saw was loud, but not excessively imo, the sound was clean and balanced. They weren't playing arenas.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Wow, how did he manage to avoid it up until now? Very impressive!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.